• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet with cornet mouthpiece (and adaptor) vs. a cornet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaggsZ

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 4:10 pm    Post subject: Trumpet with cornet mouthpiece (and adaptor) vs. a cornet Reply with quote

I did a search because I know this answer to my question is in already here somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

I saw a guy online play a trumpet with a cornet mouthpiece (with an adaptor) and it sounded like a cornet.

I could not find a video of someone playing a cornet vs. a trumpet with cornet mouthpiece. Is there a noteworthy difference?

If that is not the case, what is the necessity of buying a cornet if you already own a trumpet? (As opposed to just buying a mouthpiece and adaptor?)

Thanks for any information from someone with this experience.
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Trumpet with cornet mouthpiece (and adaptor) vs. a corne Reply with quote

LaggsZ wrote:
I did a search because I know this answer to my question is in already here somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

I saw a guy online play a trumpet with a cornet mouthpiece (with an adaptor) and it sounded like a cornet.

I could not find a video of someone playing a cornet vs. a trumpet with cornet mouthpiece. Is there a noteworthy difference?

If that is not the case, what is the necessity of buying a cornet if you already own a trumpet? (As opposed to just buying a mouthpiece and adaptor?)

Thanks for any information from someone with this experience.

Others will disagree, I'm sure. The differences between a trumpet and a cornet include the amount and location of conical bore, the wrap, and the attitude of the player. But the mouthpiece is a big factor as well. Mark Curry sells TC and TF trumpet mouthpieces that help the player create the more mellow sound of the cornet and flugelhorn on a trumpet.

I have a Getzen 700 trumpet and Getzen 800 cornet. Using a Curry TC mouthpiece gets me pretty close to the sound of my cornet, the TF even more so, yet different.

Of course, there's the issue of being snubbed by the "real" cornet players in your group, but they'd have a hard time in a blindfold test.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to discourage discussion but here is an answer to part of your question

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=162754

You can also purchase cornet mouthpieces with trumpet shanks - the Curry TC model or even the TF flugelhorn models. These are designed to play in tune on your trumpet.

If you would buy a British Band cornet mouthpiece - such as a Denis Wick 4 and play it on a trumpet with a T/C adapter - you would probably have trouble playing it in tune.

With the exception of some student cornets, cornets are not just trumpets with a different wrap and mouthpiece receiver. They generally have slightly different tapers in the leadpipe and in the bell to give smoother articulations - a sweeter sound. Their design makes it difficult to produce the hammer on anvil attack that is so satisfying on trumpet - well satisfying to me - not necessarily to the director.
LaggsZ

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I have no gone through that thread. I guess my question boils down to whether the "pure" cornet sound is really capturable with trumpet. Sounds like the mouthpiece is "85%" (or something similar) of it. There are times I'm listening to, say, Nat Adderley and I'd have no idea...
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaggsZ wrote:
I guess my question boils down to whether the "pure" cornet sound is really capturable with trumpet. Sounds like the mouthpiece is "85%" (or something similar) of it.

That sounds about right to me. You can probably get closer the more skilled you are as a player.

To add to the confusion: I use modular mouthpieces and I have a cornet with a trumpet receiver. In the past I’ve experimented with various combinations on both that cornet and my trumpet. This allowed me to compare mouthpieces with both trumpet and cornet/adapter shanks, on cornet and trumpet, using the same cup. My experience was that there’s still a difference in the sounds between the cornet and the trumpet. Furthermore, the cornet plays ‘better’ using a cornet shank with a mouthpiece adapter, and the trumpet plays ‘better’ using a trumpet backbore (for the same mouthpiece cup). High anecdotal of course, ymmv.

Also, I have a deep-V shaped mouthpiece cup for my trumpet and tried the combination of Wick/cornet adapter mentioned by Andy. I found the first to be preferable, and the resulting sound is quite cornet-like yet still retains a bit of ‘sparkle’ but it’s more akin to flugelhorn to my ears (probably in part because I play it like such).

There’s also the effect of having the bell closer to your ears, which can affect your approach, projection, etc. On the other hand, if you’re not playing brassband music, it may not matter how close the sound matches as long as it’s more mellow.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaggsZ wrote:
Thanks, I have no gone through that thread. I guess my question boils down to whether the "pure" cornet sound is really capturable with trumpet. Sounds like the mouthpiece is "85%" (or something similar) of it. There are times I'm listening to, say, Nat Adderley and I'd have no idea...

This doesn't really answer the original question of "trumpet with cornet mouthpiece adaptor or cornet," but I will observe that my Reynolds Argenta trumpet, which is entirely nickel silver from receiver to bell, sounds remarkably like a cornet with a B-cup mouthpiece or deeper. To be honest, though, I'd rather play my cornets, which are in better nick than my Argenta.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB trumpet
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get amazing results from the Bob Reeves the cornet/trumpet adapter, actually exceeding my expectations. It does make the tone somewhat cornet-like, which for me me means broader tone and snappy articulations but it doesn't replace the cornet.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"With the exception of some student cornets, cornets are not just trumpets with a different wrap and mouthpiece receiver. They generally have slightly different tapers in the leadpipe and in the bell to give smoother articulations - a sweeter sound".
Agree

One caution, some mouthpieces, in order to get that darker/rounder/sweeter/whatever cornet sound on a trumpet, make alterations to the backbore and cup shape and depth. You might get a cornet mouthpiece made for cornet-for-trumpet that you think has the same dimensions, when the bore is larger, etc. Depending on what kind of player this may or may not be significant.

Did you tell us why you're asking? Practically speaking, it might effect the answer.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet

Last edited by kehaulani on Fri May 10, 2024 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many different cornet sounds just as there are many different trumpet sounds. These can be produced by changes in equipment, horn and mouthpiece or, for more experienced players, by the changes that the player makes to his embouchure. My experience tells me that the same mouthpiece when used with a trumpet will not produce the same sound as when it is used with a cornet. I have compared the sound of my Olds Recording trumpet with the sound of my Recording cornet using a CG3 mouthpiece with either a trumpet or cornet shank and the cornet gives a more mellow, deeper tone even with this trumpet style mouthpiece. When I repeat the test with a Curry 2BBC cornet mouthpiece the results are similar. This deep cornet mouthpiece lowers and mellows the tone of the trumpet but not to the extent that it sounds like the cornet. I’ve come closest to getting the trumpet to sound like the cornet by using a very deep V fluegelhorn mouthpiece.
mr oakmount
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A different way of looking at this: I like having an additional, more extreme mouthpiece with me for gigs and rehearsals.

For instance, there might be a passage in the band/orchestra where I double the (French) horns in a pianissimo passage or I have to play very softly in the low range (think opening Schumann 2nd symphony). In that case I might put a ridiculously deep mouthpiece with a wide open backbore on my trumpet.

On the other hand, when I play cornet in a brass band, I might have a medum-flat cup / long shank cornet mouthpiece with me if I need a trumpet-like sound for a passage or two.

But I would not use a trumpet with a deep mouthpiece to replace a cornet or flugel. What would be the fun in that? We want to buy MORE horns, not fewer!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: