• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Doc Severinsen

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perry dAndrea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW.

Doc played two whopping, full-blast shows at the beautifully restored Portland (I forget what they call it now) Theater both on June 8 and 9 with his latest incarnation of his "Tonight Show" orchestra.

1. The sound:

My GOD- not only is this man 75 years old (in 3-1/2 weeks), but he suffered from BELL'S PALSEY (sp?) only two years ago. Know what Bell's Palsey is? That's when at least half of your face decides that the muscles aint gonna WORK any more. Paralysis. Half his face was GONE. I was amazed at how incredibly he played last October at Night Of A Thousand Trumpets, where he told us of his Palsey ordeal two years ago. And he was belting it out unbelievably at THAT show. Now he's playing even better, as powerfully as I've ever heard him play, with that unmistakable commanding Severinsen tone, passion, and dazzling exitement that would take any player to task, any age.

2. Joe Weider, take note:

The energy and physical condition Doc possesses and exudes onstage is something to behold. When I was a kid, Doc represented the best in trumpet-playing for me. Little would I have ever believed he would be the prime example of fitness and power onstage at age 75.

3. Higher and bigger:

Besides the gorgeous-toned ballads with a phrasing that only Doc can carry with such elegance and expressiveness, his solos also included a plethora of screamer notes up to double high B and mainstays in the double G and A range that were nailed with ballistic power and a sound as huge as the concert hall could stand. The band sounded incredible behind him, and the singer, Carmen Branford was a great addition.

4. "Home-Made":

These were Doc's words when I asked him backstage what kind of horn he was playing. It was so piecemeal, the top cap felts didn't even match; the waterkey on the tuning slide was the old-style lever type, and the third valve slide waterkey was an Amado; the receiver, leadpipe and tuning slide looked totally Strad, but short, like the New York Strads, the valve cluster looked like the new Getzen cluster, and the bell section was unrecognizable, and it had absolutely no engraving on it at all. The whole horn was in raw brass as well. I think the mouthpiece he played last October was a GR, but this one definitely wasn't. I didn't ask him what it was, though. It had a really skeletal exterior appearance without the "deep cup" heavy metal outer appearance of so many new mouthpieces such as the GR and Monette. Anyway, I find it really cool that the man is experimenting around and coming up with his own design for his horn. The sound he belts forth on it is both huge AND saturated, much moreso, IMHO, than the new Severinsen Getzen he played last fall. This was an even bigger and denser wall of sound, for you guys who heard him in October.

5. For you snobs:

Doc's name doesn't surface NEARLY enough when the greatest players of all time are discussed. Why? Maybe his overexposure as Tonight Show Band Leader made that happen. Did you fall prey to such a ridiculous reverse manipulation? Look- there's nothing wrong with being gung ho over all the new crop of players out there. I see 'em play all the time, myself. In the last coupla years alone I've seen Vega, Sandoval, Payton, Roney, Hargrove, Marsalis, Blanchard, and a whole slew of incredibly talented younger jazz cats from both Northern and Southern California. INCREDIBLE shows. Lemme be clear on this. Not one of these players could give Doc a serious run for his money onstage in terms of beautiful, mind-numbing power, precision and passion, hugeness and clarity of tone, and commanding aura in live performance, that I've seen or heard, except perhaps Arturo. And this statement is not even a fair comparison- let's see what all these other cats can do when THEY'RE 3/4 of a century in age. What I'm saying is this. WHEN YOU GET THE CHANCE, GO hear Doc play. I hear they're gearing up for a tour maybe this November. Check the Internet sites for the show, that's how I found out about this one. And I drove 650 miles to see him. I just hope there's not one player on this forum from Seattle or Portland who missed this show without good reason. If you did, shame on you.

Doc Severinsen is not just another aging trumpeter who's winding down in front of our very eyes. He's an engaging, driven performer, ever pushing the envelope to achieve greater heights in playing to a live audience. And it's out there, happening for you to see and hear, for yourself!

You KNOW you were a huge Doc fan when you were a kid. Don't turn your back on that inner kid as I did for so many years, thinking that the great days of Doc are long gone, that there's no way he could play like when I saw him live in Atlanta when I was sixteen. Just the opposite. Being there for a live Doc Severinsen performance here in 2002 is an INCREDIBLE experience that will stay in your heart forever.

Plus- it may even revive those childhood dreams of the possibility of immortality..

pd

[ This Message was edited by: Perry D'Andrea on 2002-06-27 01:40 ]
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Doc is a very exciting trumpeter and who else can play all styles as well as he does. He can scream, he can do ballads, he can improv his butt off, heck, there really isn't anything that he can't play.

I saw him over 15 years ago and was a bit concerned that due to his age, it was going to one of his last big hurrahs. It's nice to see that guys like Doc and Maynard still have it going on at their age. It gives me hope for myself.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't maynard 72? Doc still has his teeth to. I thought I read that arturo was 66. I'm just saying those to aren't that much younger. I do love doc severinsen I had a cool talk with hime when he came to town. Mostly about my all state auditions but I did find out a that time he was playing on his severinsen gold plated engraved model and he switched mouthpieces throughout the show. I was all like" if doc can switch mouthpieces in the middle of a song so can I dad!"
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Doc Post! I've gotta be one of his biggest fans. I have been searching for sites with info about Docs philosophy about equipment. Downbeat has some articles and a tribute sight as well but I cant seem to get to the info.

As said before, I have a vintage Doc Getzen and it blows away most horns (of the moment) I've tried.
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A MILLION AND A BILLION AND ONE THANKS!!
For your review of the DOC in Portland...AND for your passion, drive (drive-pun intended...literally to go so far a distance) to show your appreciation for such ICONS like our beautiful DOC!.

Yes, HOW SHABBY for us (I beggith-your pardon, and hope to stick needles in my eye(naw, that would hurt too much..maybe thigh instead)... that I too didn't make the effort here in Seattle, to live so close to Portland (only about 2.5 to 12 hr. drive:)) depending on traffic.
The I-5 corrider is HELL ONEARTH.. on weekends!
Another lame excuse...FOR SURE.

When I mentioned to Ray Vega that the DOC was to play Portland the next eve.

Vega's face beamed ear the ear!!! and said...

WOW! GET YOUR BOTTOM GLUED TO YOUR CAR SEAT AND HEAD DOWN THERE FIRST LIGHT TOMORROW!" and from your great post...sounds like we screwed up time time.

Again, what a wondefully great review about his instruments, and for taking the time to meet him personally.

It truly sounds like you have taken in some really memorial occations in your life seaching out great performances like this one..

perhaps we could "sweet-talk" you into further postings about other ICONs like THE DOC.

You bring up a very important illustration...that show just how fragile our very human existance is on this planet....and that we should really TAKE THE TIME AND EFFORT...to enjoy the labors of these wonderfully gifted artists, that we love and admire.
NOTHING BEATS LIVE MUSIC...it is a artistic gift given by the artist, that happens---in an instant of time---never to be heard exactly like that EVER,NEVER AGAIN!!!
What a rare and fleeting art form, huh?

Although we may hear recordings, one can not feel the way live music envelopes our very souls...with sound.
That new hall I hear in Portland was designed to encompass and utilize the very walls,seats,floors and ceiling and even the audience, taking its part as a vehicle in the sound process.
To be there, as you were,...this beautiful gift in sound was sent directly to your ear-and-eyeball...and imbedded deep into your brains memory bank that will live with you each and every day that you are blessed to be on this earth.
YES! WE SHOULDN'T WASTE EVEN A MOMENT OF THIS LIFE that we are blessed with and all that jazz.
Perry dAndrea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not one moment indeed, Mr. bAdBoY-- But look at it this way: it was such a great show, coupled with the fact that Portland is Doc's hometown "big city", coupled again with the fact that Doc enjoyed it so much and said this should happen every year, he may very well come back and do it again next year. Cross them fingers.

Truth be told, I didn't know Ray Vega was playing in Seattle the night before or I would've planned to zap up there for that one as well. I've never seen Ray play his own show before, and I really want to.

Ray's got some chops propelled by a great latin soul. I met him in Athens, GA in '96 at the post-Soccer Championship Olympics performance when Tito opened for MY band.

TOTALLY TRUE.

(OK, Tito insisted that the lineup be reversed so that no one would touch anything after his sound check.. we were just the local band that lucked out and got the opening spot)

Ray played lead, and I met him again here in San Fran last year when he led the horns behind Nicholas Payton in a Pops tribute.

Andrew-
Ferguson? How did HE get on that list? Wow- now there's a revealing subconcscious outcry that made it to my post, and I didn't even catch it on my read-through before posting: MF in the 21st century is on my WISH list- the last time I saw Maynard live was when he opened here for Buddy Rich in 1985 at the Great American Music Hall.. and I saw that show sitting next to Robert Plant in the balcony, but that's another story entirely..

Yeah, Maynard is in his 70's too from what I understand and is also crankin it out. He was always an avid practitioner of yoga which doesn't hurt at all. Though I never saw him do as clean a performance as Doc, he could getcha on the edge of yer seat in a hurry. I will see him play as soon as the opportunity comes this way.

Also- if you thought you read that Arturo is in his late sixties?...whoa, thar, pardner, no. However, the truth is, 66 would still be a FAR CRY from 75, the way most folks age. Those nine years, for the players who live that long, are BRUTAL to trumpet players historically.

I saw Art Farmer here in '97 and he was still really good, but not what I would call robust. Two years later, I saw him again at Yoshi's, and he could hardly play. Thank God that I'd learned by then to tune in to the SOULular frequencies of these older players, or I would've considered it a sad show.

Ill health or just plain ole 'winding down' weakness plagued almost all the greats once they got close to their seventies (some in their early sixties), such as Dizzy, Miles, Roy Eld, and others. Why? Because playing trumpet is an EXTREME ATHLETIC ACTIVITY!! It stays at peak as long as you keep yourself in top condition! Sure, the soul was there for all those aging trumpeters, but the power of a young lion? No. Doc, however, still plays with the power of a young lion, and that's borderline supernatural to me. He can truly play higher and more powerfully than the best of his 1960's recordings which I absolutely like the best (Torch Songs For Trumpet is a product of heaven- there's one for sale on ebay right now. This LP is a MUST HAVE for any Doc fan. Soaring trumpet of unequalled beauty and UNBELIEVABLY gorgeous, PHAT arrangements by trombonist Billy Byers).

But Arturo is 52, anyway.

I can't wait to see Arturo play again. Holy ^%$#%^, when did he find time to learn to play so incredibly, world class, no less, on trumpet, AND Percussion, AND PIANO?! And to do all that screamin on a Bach 3 damn C? (Yes, I saw it myself- his Bach mouthpiece read "3 damn C" on it. OK, that proves I need to stop now.)

I will add that my partner Tamara and I snuck down to a couple of empty seats in the first row during Doc's intermission and watched the rest of the show from there. You could see STEAM rise from Doc's "home-made" horn and valves when he played. And being close up meant the REAL THING soundwise, no P.A. amplification interfering with his natural trumpet sound.

Singer Carmen Bradford (not Branford as I misspelled earlier) along with the sax section was happy about our move to the front row, though, because now they had someone upfront bouncing around with the beat and gettin into it as if I were up there playing with 'em- despite that among all those dignified folks in the audience I look like some rocker from the San Francisco underground.
Maybe that's because
that's
exactly
what
I
am..

BadbOy, I was actually looking forward to meeting you up there once it registered in my brain that I was in your territory. I hate that I missed Ray. Sorry you missed Doc- You would've LOVED it.

And it's much more fitting of my childhood image of Doc's mystique that he's playing and sounding like a monster on a horn that NOBODY else can get their hands on..

One more- it was cool when this 10th grader came back there to meet him after the show, telling Doc that he plays trumpet too, and Doc says, "Do you practice?" And the kid says, "I've been studying with so-and-so and so-and-so.." And Doc just looked him dead on and said, "Do you PRACTICE?" For an instant I felt like a teenager too, all excited about telling Doc how many hours a day that -I- practice.. But my partner beats me to the punch from a different angle, assuring him how many hours a day I send her and misskittie scurrying to the other end of the apartment..

pd

[ This Message was edited by: Perry D'Andrea on 2002-06-14 04:48 ]
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...for another posts with HUGE AMOUNTS of insight and good illustrations for all us "trumpet-geeks.

"What you said about many of the folks in the audience being stone-faced- over-dressed to kill- going simply to be seen and be seen kinda folks, but ......unfortunately kinda goes with the Oregon Symphony and for that matter (most major symphony's)...kinda' utilize the symphony as just a classy place to be a place where the wealthy CEO and near-de-wells go to on a regular weekly basis just a place to meet and HANG AND RUB ELBOWS with the WHO'S WHO and don't honestly seem to give rippp who is on the stage..

.but that too has it perks. On a positive note, however, They give LOTS AND LOTS OF CASH!!!!AND GRANTS.

It is amazing just to know how many major Corp. INSIST that their upper organizational charts reflect their corp. giving alms to the Arts...BUT HEY, WHO'S COMPLAINING (except its too darn bad that they don't seem willing to loosen their bow ties and GROOVE TO THE MUSIC..HOW UNDIGIFIED to show emotion and love for something except CLIMBING THE CORP.LADDER TO SUCCESS...

even my company has given HUGE AMOUNTS OF $$$$ to the arts here in Seattle...but now that the Company HQ is based in Chicago, I wonder how soon the donations will shift from Seattle to Chicago.
They are many many exceptions.
Our CEO truly loves JAZZ...and this is turn could have been an underlying reason he enjoyes chicago so much.
check out
http://www.jazzinstituteofchicago.org/

Again, as meager a musician as I am, it is plain to see just how much love and passion that you have for music and its musicians show clearly and brightly through your glibness in writing.

It's great to see that you follow Tony Mowood, (vibesman' from the Burg') great advice when he says:
"KEEP LOVE IN YOUR HEART...AND A LOTTA' JAZZ IN YOUR SOUL!"

[ This Message was edited by: BADBOY-DON on 2002-06-14 12:38 ]
Pedro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Perry as well as those who have commented on this post! Like Perry, I had tons of respect and admiration for Doc's playing and enjoyed the TS band EVERY NIGHT! When he left, shamefully, I sort of lost track of him. Even worse...I don't have ONE recording of him ( I should be banned from trumpet playing for that!!). Thanks for puttin' my head back on STRAIGHT!!!!!
bachstrad72
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify.....Arturo will be 53 this year....not 66.
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-06-14 15:59, bachstrad72 wrote:
Just to clarify.....Arturo will be 53 this year....not 66.

Just a few years ago at a Birthday party....he claimed he was 39!
LOL! )) Must be that "JackBennythag?'
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the band in Daytona Beach in March (or April?) and it was kickin'!!! My friend, a super Doc fan from way back, commented after the third tune--"I got money's worth already!" Doc was truly amazing. I have heard him several times live. He was a guest with a symphony I play with on occasion and i have heard him in small clubs with his fusion band Xebron. This was by far the best he has ever sounded to me.

The whole band was great but special mention has to be made of Ernie Watts. WOW!!!
Snooky Young played but did not look like he was doing too well health- wise. Hopefully it was just a bad night for him. He is one of the all-time greats. Bobby Shew once told me "All you need to learn about playing lead trumpet you can learn from Snookie Young on "Atomic Basie". Enough said about that!

If you get the chance check out that band!!
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - at the risk of losing what little credibility I might have gained on this forum, I will come out of my closet and confess:

I have NEVER EVER heard Doc Severinsen play!
I havenīt even seen one of his recordings!

Thatīs because I live in the wrong part of the world, Severinsen-wise. I canīt even get the sound clips on trumpetstuff.com to play on my computer.
So I am truly curious. What CDs currently available would you recommend for a Severinsen novice (the jazzier, the better)?

Always willing to learn,

Martin
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Doc Fans

Here is a great photo of Doc with Jesse, a long time friend. The caption for this photo should read somethin' like

"JESSE....BACK OFF A LITTLE ON YOUR VOLUME, GO FOR CONTRASTS IN YOUR PLAYING, BUT ALWAYS CONCENTRATE ON MAKING EACH NOTE AS "PURTY" AS POSSIBLE!!!! ))

http://www.jessemcguire.com/Jesse_and_Doc_Severinsen.jpg

[ This Message was edited by: BADBOY-DON on 2002-06-18 14:04 ]
Lobo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Martin: Find the Cd's - Doc Severison and the Tonight Show Band - Vol 1 & 2.
Also the recording - Doc Severison & the Tonight Show Band -"Once More, With Feeling"(has guess performances by Tony Bennett and Wynton Marsalis).

The man is AWESOME!
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ron,

I will check the Tonight Show albums out.

Martin
Perry dAndrea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin,

Out of print but definitely frequent on ebay, ya gotta get:

1. Torch Songs For Trumpet (He told me last October that this was one of his favorites of all time- that's understandable, because it's INCREDIBLE) Billy Byers' arrangement of "Stormy Weather" with Doc shooting skyward from a slingshot of brass and saxes is a passionate work of epic proportions. "By Myself" is stunning in its explosion, beginning as just a tiny lit fuse. "Yesterdays" is UNREAL, a creative masterpiece fueled by Doc driving a formula racecar bolted to a smokin trombone chassis. This album puts to rest who is the most commanding, masterful, passionate, expressive, yet rock-steady with dead-on precision trumpeter of all time.
2. Command Performances - when he cranks up and wails over the last chorus in "My Funny Valentine", it'll bring tears to your eyes. "Love For Sale" is an absolute skyrocket BLAST from hell. "Stardust" is so beautiful, my dad has declared that he wants THIS version of Stardust played at his funeral.
3. The Big Band's Back In Town
4. High, Wide, and Wonderful
5. Tempestuous Trumpet
6. Doc Severinsen's Closet (Doc's interpretation of avant-garde rockers King Crimson's "In The Court Of The Crimson King" alone is worth the purchase of this one).

Well, that's enough to start. But You MUST get the first two, ASAP. You will be amazed that such unbelievable trumpet-playing over such incredible, heart-stopping arrangements is out of print. If folks my parents' age knew about these albums and how great they sound, they'd all buy 'em by the hundreds of thousands.

pd

http://perrydandrea.com/doc.wav
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just listened to his recording of Clarke's Trumpet Voluntary (or In-Voluntary as some trumpeters call it). He has a gorgious sound. What does he play most of the time?

Iesus Amate,
Joseph N. Pack
1935 H. N. White Co. Cornet - Denis Wick 4B
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: