• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What is your primary Bb and why?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marathoner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-discovering my Destino 3 star made by Kanstul. What an amazing horn !
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject: Primary horn Reply with quote

My primary horn is my King 603 cornet. That may change, waiting on the arrival of a Yamaha 2300 Shephards crook cornet.
I am a comeback player, have been back for about two months. Forgot how picky I am on equipment, mutes, music instruction books.
Trying very hard to be more patience this time and focus on playing not equipment.
Denis Wick 4 W classic gold mouthpiece,
Jupiter 9e mouthpiece
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main horn for the past 17 years has been my gold plated, Kanstul-built Destino 5*.

I have tried just about every other trumpet during that time period, including all the custom-built and boutique instruments and nothing has come close. Nothing.

The Kansul 3* trumpets I have owned and played were also lifetime instruments, and would be my choice if I didn’t have my 5*.

My feeling is that the tweaking performed by Byron Autrey on the instruments prior to sale changed an excellent trumpet into amazing one.

And the individual play testing and approval of each instrument by Doc Severinsen didn’t hurt either!
Cuso

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main horn is now the YTR 8310Z III, or if you wish the latest Shew.

I can play it more refined than the YTR 8335 LAS II, which actually can get a little big on the last set of the evening. As I play mostly miked in funk bands I like being able to back off and enjoy the blow.

I still use the LA for big band as it carries a little more punch.
Couesnon Flugelhorn
Yamaha YTR-9820 Piccolo
bmc129ny

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main horn is currently an LA Benge 2x. I love the easy blow and loose slotting it provides. The horn can sizzle so easily and loves to sit in the upper register with a tiny mouthpiece. Just got a 1962 Olds Super for something a little different but I think my Benge is still the favorite
Steve Knows Trumpet

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 10:51 pm    Post subject: My Go to Bb - Stomi S3 BB Reply with quote

I'm a come back player about a year into it after laying off for 22 years. My favorite horn when I was playing full-time was the "original" 6310Z Shew trumpet. Just the easiest, smoothest horn I ever played, up until then. When I came back over a year ago, I found a used 6310Z for sale from Japan and got it. It was pretty much what I remembered and I was satisfied.

However, last fall I spent some time trying a Stomvi S3 and I really fell in love with that horn and it's the only Bb trumpet I have right now. I can get a beautiful sound at a much wider range for dynamics that I ever could with any horn. It's speaks lightning fast like the Z horn but it's much more even in response, top to bottom for me and is by far the most "in tune" trumpet I've ever played.

I run a Stomvi Flex 14GVR mouthpiece with a 5 backbore that fits in well with the section work I now mostly find myself doing. The easiest way to describe playing this trumpet is that it's like playing a nice Bach 37 that's had all of it's problems fixed.

I came back to playing to have fun and this set up, for me, is the most fun, nicest sounding, easiest playing trumpet I've ever played. I really hate to put it down.
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My primary trumpet is my bespoke 2015 Adams A4 LT-S. It has a red brass 5.5" A4 (non-LT) bell and is just the best to me. I love the overall voice and playing flexibility. Everything just feels so easy to me on this horn.

That being stated, I also love my Schagerl LU5A and recently returned to the Getzen Genesis (I had both a Genesis and an Edwards Gen-X in the past), which is just a fabulous player. I switch around for different playing needs, but if I had to pick just 1, it would be the Adams.

Schagerl LU5A
Getzen Genesis
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
trUMBet67
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only an old amateur with a family to look after (my lovely daughter is nearly nine years old).
Since I started attending this forum, more than twenty years ago, I also started using ebay and buying some trumpets. Before I knew it I was about 20, now I'm detoxed (HAHAHAHA!).

Now I play mainly the Taylor Chicago II Lite. Great big sound, very expressive. But I really like each trumpet I own and each one has its own characteristics.
So I often like to change, also depending on my condition: the Taylor requires good air support.

I particularly love the Getzen Eterna copper bell cornet!

The old 1925 Conn 22b NYS, gold-plated, beautifully engraved, is another instrument that resonates particularly well and makes me smile while playing it..

But I like the feeling of the Olds Recording, specially for the valve block, the very clean trumpet sound of the Olds Super and the "new" 1936 Conn 22b N.Y.S. Special and so on...
Maybe an instrument that was made and played with love sounds better, I suspect.
Flugel: Getzen Eterna 895S-T
Cornet: Getzen Eterna 800 LB Copper,Conn 28A,B&H Imperial
Piccolo: Schilke Herald Bb/A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: