• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Blackburn Soprano Cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as we now have a cornet & flugel forum I thought I would take advantage of this more refined group of readers (!) to bring to their attention what I consider to be the finest instrument of it's sort I have played in many years.

Earlier this year (at ITG Texas) I tried out the new Blackburn soprano cornet. What a joy!
Put your Schilkes in the bin!
This is the new standard!
In tune throughout the whole range (well, I took it up to the F above the stave - haven't come across any sop music that goes higher) with a sound that just sang out. There was no effort needed to sound Godlike.
I have played Sovereign, I have played Getzen, I have played Schilke - the Blackburn was in a different league.
If there is anyone out there thinking of getting a new soprano cornet, might I point you in the direction of the Blackburn instruments?

Please note, I do not work for Blackburn, I currently can't afford any Blackburns, I am not even in the same country - I just think people should know what is out there before they buy the Schilke that everyone has used for the past few years, just because it was everyone else uses.

I am currently saving all my pennies for a Blackburn piccolo trumpet, the soprano cornet may well follow!

I am sure there will be people who disagree, but that is what these forums are for - sensible debate. I just thought I would share my experience.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've got to ask....is soprano cornet one of those English things like bin and lift, or is this an instrument other than your run of the mill B flat cornet? And if a different instrument, what key, playing characteristics, etc.
I'd say help out those dumb Yanks, but I'm from the South and we have issues with being identified as 'Yanks'....
chops

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sop cornet is in Eb, and is usually a tricky beast intonation wise. a schilke mouthpiece with an X backbore usually helps out a great deal. i played soprano for years and loved it, still miss it now. i'd love to get my hands on that new blackburn, but i'm not likely to over here ah well..
KevinInGeorgia
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully I'll get to play one of these Beast soon.. I know 2 people in my area that have or will have them..
Carl should be getting his from Blackburn soon & I am buying his Yamaha Soprano, so of course I'm going to have to play his Blackburn. Carl had to get his ASAP after playing Jerry's who is the other guy in my area that has one.. They sound so nice & the intonation is Great on them. If you get a chance to try one you will not be disappointed.. I would love to hear a Blackburn Sop in the hands of one of the Black Dyke or Grimethorpe Sop players..

Kevin

“Heroes turn into martyrs on this instrument.” ~ William Vacchiano
samlg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the courtois sop isnt bad either, as good as a schilke but with a nicer price!

theres a review at http://www.4barsrest.com

have fun, sam
Downunder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea how much the Blackburn sops are? Is there a website which has information on them?

Stephen Williams
davidquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Cortois Sop which I am quite happy with. Got to play the Smith-Watkins 3valve yesterday afternoon which is also a quality instrument, it's main advantage being that it also has interchangable lead pipes so you can change the caracteristics of the instrument depending on your needs.

The Schilke is probably the most widely used here by bands in the UK but I reckon the Courtois and the Smith-Watkins will start to take some market share!!
KevinInGeorgia
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eb Soprano is so new they haven’t put it on the Price list yet…
I found a few Pictures & maybe I can get Jerry Pollard to look on the Forum & give a review of his New Blackburn Sop.

Pictures of there 1st Eb Cornet being tested by Member of the Jack Daniels Cornet Band/
http://www.blackburntrumpets.com/archive2.html

Pictures of the New Eb Cornet..
http://www.blackburntrumpets.com/new.html

“Heroes turn into martyrs on this instrument.” ~ William Vacchiano
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling that should some of the UK's top sop players get a chance to play on these the days of the Schilke dominance are over.
I would love to hear Michelle (sop player with Black Dyke) playing on one of these. Having heard her all through university (we were in the same year - was always a delight to hear her!), and since, on a Schilke I think this would be a superb combination.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: