• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Callet Varicup vs Parduba

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Heuer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they similar in design? Thanks.
MightyDon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-30 06:52, Mark Heuer wrote:
Are they similar in design? Thanks.

I own a Parbua #6 goldplate...and a HJ.Parduba 5.5. Bought them both from Dick Akright.

I have a Callet 7s Vari-cup and a Callet 3s vari-cup.

The Callet 3 plays huge..very very comfortable rim... (TOO BIG A CUP FOR ME NOW) The 7s is my first double cup choice. Its a work of art. (all these mps..including the Parduba are very soft brass. and the silver plate on Jerry's is really thin' andjust like Jerome wants and demands.(thick platings have their own demons....the MPS are very soft and mark up easily at the(DON'T RISK OR POO-POO BRASS POISONING..ITS REAL!!! AND WILL GETCHA..SOONER OR LATER...AND I PRAY...LATER!!! PRAYER WILL NOT HELP HERE...JUST SIMPLE MAINTENCE.
Jerry rushes a re-plate to you in less than 2 weeks...(in all 4 returns from me @ only $20.00 a replate) he, with due cause tells me to be really careful with the mps..and take care not to ding and scratch them.

This torques his buttons MORE THAN ANY ONE THING I KNOW... the shabby way I treat his beautiful mps.
The rims on the both the 7 and 3 are soooooooo comfortable. They both come with a much smaller inner cup than the Parduba's as well as the hole in the throat is small in comparison. but then Jerry's backbores are very very open and huge. Actually to me the sound is ALIVE...AND REGAL...while on my horns...Yama and Callet Jazz and Symphonique they are wonderful.
I pop the Pardubas in these same horns...Both Parduba's especially the 5.5 James model...gives that big raspy bold almost brassy sound. but I gotta tell you...my chops mark up really easily...and the SHARPER INNER RIMS (DESIGNED THAT WAY FOR PLAY) and so...BOTH PARDUBA'S "HURT" and really can mess my world if I use it for too long. (my lousy techn. when I begin to tire...in the upper reg.( I start "crammin') and this adds insult to injury. I have been hurt by by 5.5 a couple of times...
but never never from my Vari-cup Callets...

ONE HUGE TIP on playing Double cuppers, BOTH brand MPS...PLAY REALLY EASY....AND AT FIRST, MOST FOLKS...OVERBLOW THESE MPS..(BOTH THE PARDUBA AND CALLET VARI-CUP...AND JET TONES...
THEY TAKE FINESS...
and staying aware of your mp. centering and placement is of prime importance.
I can wander all over on a 14A4A or a Warburton 4VFS but on the vari-cups...you had betta' find your sweeeeeet spot, and stay at it..as well as to not OVER BLOW!!
Pitch centering on both are nice and stay in pitch...(BUT LIKE ALL MPS..DO CHECK OUT FOR A GOOD FIT AND KEEP AS LITTLE A GAP between the mp and the bottom of the leadpipe receiver end.

For only $40.00 Try that little 5.5 Parduba...I love it...but rarely use the # 6..It is too me and my set up...just another mp. for the "bucket."

BOTTOM LINE ON ALL MOUTHPIECES..
HOW GOOD TO THEY MAKE YOU SOUND AND HOW EASY LIVING ARE THEY???
While I love the raspyness and brightness of the 5.5 Wanna sound like Ray Anthony (then this 5.5 Harry James Parduba...is fun fun fun...till your little Daddy takes your T bird..NAW FOR THE GOOD LORD TAKES YOUR CHOPS AWAY!!! AND ALL THAT JAZZ.
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Callet 7D Varicup. What is the difference berween a 7S and a 7D? Does Buker refer to the craftsman who made the piece?

Just curious,
Tim

[ This Message was edited by: Tim80 on 2002-02-01 12:45 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tim80 on 2002-02-01 12:46 ]
MightyDon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-30 21:30, Tim80 wrote:
I have a Callet 7D Varicup. What is the difference berween a 7S and a 7D? Does Buker refer to the craftsman who made the piece?

Just curious,
Tim

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: Tim80 on 2002-02-01 12:45 ]</font>

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: Tim80 on 2002-02-01 12:46 ]</font>

Ask Jerry, but in those Vari-cup days...he explained to me that the letters for example on my 7S the "S" just means SHALLOW...AND THE "D" is just for DEEP. JUST THAT SIMPLE...))
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MightyDon,

Makes sense to me. The cup on this piece appears to be as deep if not deeper than a 7C. It has a nice sound. Still has a touch brightness but not overly so.

Tim
Cozy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, MightyDon said both his Pardubas hurt him. I used to have a Parduba 6.5* and it hurt, too. I've had a variety of Callet Varicups that did not hurt. 'Tis hard to keep up with Callet's latest products, but his new DT-10 is his ultimate, according to Callet himself.

Cozy
http://www.cozychops.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: