• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

High range in the cold

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soulfire
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: High range in the cold Reply with quote

Ok so I have a solo in my college marching band that goes up to an A above high C. I sound fine on it and it's not a problem usually. However, as the weather gets colder I notice that I'm beginning to have issues in general. Does anyone have any advice on playing in cold weather and keeping your chops and horn warm, specifically regarding range?
Scott42486
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone might suggest to you that you try a Kelly mouthpiece, those are much easier to deal with in the cold. I seem to remember a few years back that there was a company that sold thin rubber "sleeves" that could be put over the rim of a mouthpiece. As far as keeping a horn warm, I suggest constantly blowing air through it. Can't help you on the range though, I've been told I'm fairly backwards in that department. Cold weather shows up and my range jumps as much as a third or forth. Go figure.
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also try a screw rim combination with lexan rim or see if you can find a Benturfa wood mouthpiece.
soulfire
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its funny that you say that. I recently bought a kelly screamer and have been playing on it for a little under a week. I like it alot, but I feel like I'm using alot more pressure and that it's harder to hit the high notes.
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention Delrin in my original post. It is a very comfortable plastic material.
Juergen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to keep the mouthpiece warm while marching, cover the mouthpiece with your lips as if you were going to empty the spit and breath like you would if you were fogging glass.

Lip flapping might help. If you aren't actually performing, cover your mouth with your glove when you aren't playing.

For me a little cold actually helps but too much causes everything to go.
houdini1313
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the horn close to your body (so your body heat warms it up). Blowing air through the horn is good too. Keeping the horn up to temp even when its cold outside is essential.

Smart air and dynamics is good too. The ensemble pitch is going to be different, and a good lead player can make the adjustment to scream and be in tune, even in the cold.
Stomvi Piccolo

Hammond, Patrick, and Reeves Mouthpieces
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kelly Screamer mouthpiece is fantastic. That's all I use for cold, outdoor work.
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a sub for cold, outdoor work.
Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
Juergen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fraserhutch wrote:
I use a sub for cold, outdoor work.

But that's not fun.
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, like freezing your tuchas off is.

But to add to the thread - playing in the cold for me has always been about keeing the horn warm. Playing a CD Benge in the cold presents unique challenges (due toi the extremely thin metal). If I keep the horn warm I'm OK.

I have much more trouble in hot and humid weather.
Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
soulfire
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my professor said he likes my sound much better on the Marc. and wants me to use that. I guess that answers my question there. Being in tune isn't the problem, it's getting my chops to warm up enough to play that high A for 8 beats on an ice cold horn and mouthpiece with the wind blowing (I go to UConn). I guess I'm just going to try to keep it as warm as possible as you're all saying.
gio trumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my freshman year in HS i had a solo that went up to F sharp in marching band... during some of the shows it was REALLY cold... and i missed it a couple times....

lynn nicholson suggested that i perhaps try to play with a dry setup (i had been playing with a wet of course)

i fooled around with it... and i found it to help extremely in cold weather.. and i just adapted it to all of my playing.. i became a lot more consistent and accurate. range, endurance, and tone all went up as well

my junior year of HS the show ended with an E and slurred up to an A... and it was a long ass note... i hit it every show without a miss

i'm not saying you should go completely dry... maybe instead of wetting the lips, maybe just a little wetness on the vibrating surface in the middle?

i wrote all that assuming that you play with a wet setting...

different strokes for different folks of course.. so if you dont think you will prosper from it... try something else
soulfire
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do to my set-up, it is nearly impossible for me to play on a dry embouchure. One of the ways I have been able to make playing on the red work well for me is to make sure my lips are moist. Good idea though.
ChwyNiblet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem as you in the winter, this really seems to help. Keeps the mouthpiece as warm as in the summer with drum corps so you can play those Gs and As.

http://www.wwbw.com/Runyon-Trumpet-Mouthpiece-Lip-Saver-i125093.music
BigGuns
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem, except I don't think it has anything to do with the gear. I find that it is the actual chops that don't work well in the cold, even if the piece is warm. The muscles feel very weak (but I know they are not weak) and everything seems to collapse in the cold. Maybe it is the piece, I guess I never thought about it, but even my lip buzzing is worse in the cold. I have no idea how to fix it. I usually just jam the horn into my face much harder than I should!
cb3
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soulfire wrote:
well my professor said he likes my sound much better on the Marc. and wants me to use that. I guess that answers my question there. Being in tune isn't the problem, it's getting my chops to warm up enough to play that high A for 8 beats on an ice cold horn and mouthpiece with the wind blowing (I go to UConn). I guess I'm just going to try to keep it as warm as possible as you're all saying.

Unless he's got someone else that can play it better than you, play it on the mouthpiece that allows you to play it best. Forget what he's saying. Besides, if you miss it enough times, he won't care what mouthpiece you play it on as long as you stop missing the note. Whatever you do, DO NOT hurt your chops for ANYONE. Believe me, you will look back on it in adulthood with extreme regret. I could tell you some stories but I won't lol. Take care
P.S. I was playing on Warburton equip. in my early college years and was blessed to find he makes plastic tops. What a lifesaver. I even used them after marching season.
Bach Strad/Harrelson Conv.
Getzen Severinsen
Conn 8B (4-sale)
Martin Committee/Imperial (4-sale)
Olds Studio/(4-sale)
Flugelhorn:
Yamaha 231S Flugel
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigGuns wrote:
I have the same problem, except I don't think it has anything to do with the gear. I find that it is the actual chops that don't work well in the cold, even if the piece is warm. The muscles feel very weak (but I know they are not weak) and everything seems to collapse in the cold. Maybe it is the piece, I guess I never thought about it, but even my lip buzzing is worse in the cold. I have no idea how to fix it. I usually just jam the horn into my face much harder than I should!

When fingers and and toes get cold they lose flexibility. Try catching a football with frozen hands. ;(

Other muscles are no different and the body automatically reduces circulation to the extremities first. Keep your core temperature up and you'll make it a lot easier for the rest of the body to stay warm.

For starters, dress for it. Longies, vest, whatever. Move as much as you can to stay warm. Vitamin B Complex can help open capillaries and help maintain circulation to the extremities.

All the other tips about keeping the horn and mpc warm certainly apply.
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you allowed to wear those old-fashioned ski masks that make you look like you just got back from a convenience store heist?

Everyone could get them in school colors.

That would be a marching band to be reckoned with!
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
Juergen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A show on the discovery channel was saying that if you keep you core warm everything else will stay warm. They had a guy sit in the cold only wearing underwear and a heat vest and he maintained dexterity much longer than without the vest. So when you are dressing for warmth remember that, your face will stay warm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: