• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

is this normal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been doing this caruso thing for about 2 months maybe.. my private instructor had me doing intervals in 7th... about a week ago i find out that i can squeal really loud double G's... then about two days ago i decide to see how high i could take the intervals in 3 and i end up squealing a double C, today i squealled a double F... nuts huh? anyways i can only seemed to do this around 6 pm, whenever i try to do it in the morning in band class i usually get hung around the double G...

i have a could of questions..

is it normal for me to be squealling these highnotes after only 2 months?

is this just a temporary thing or i'm i gona loose my squealling abilities soon?

about how much longer until those squealls turn into real notes?

what makes caruso so different where i'm able to see so fast results with so little practice??

thanks for any help, anwsers, or stories...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
urbie watrous
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The results you describe are similar to what I've experienced, after I resumed some Caruso practice last fall, after a 25-year (!) layoff.

The important thing to keep in mind -- just from my point of view -- is that Caruso isn't a "high note" method, per se. The high and low range improvement is a result, not a goal, of the exercises. The main thing to be focused on is timing, synchronization, and the Four Rules. Don't overdo the high notes, because -- as I found out -- you can get too much into high notes for their own sake, which isn't good. I've been taking it easy for awhile, just to make sure everything's OK -- but am still feeling the beneficial effects of having resumed the CC exercises. Just do the stuff, not to excess, and take the results as they come, without trying to force anything.

But yeah, the high notes are great!

Urb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BobList
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey George...glad to see a method is working for you....but just do the exercises, focus on timing, and let the chops learn how to play without you "helping" them along...they know what to do....they know.........

BTW...who are you studying with now that teaches Caruso?.....I've just started Caruso myself, about a week ago.
Bob List, Baltimore
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing happened to me after about the same amount of time (well, no double F). It's normal, and those notes will become real eventually. There's no set amount of time, just don't get overexcited about it and try to hit them all the time. Outside of Caruso, try to play short little melodies up there (even just a few notes), but only if your chops (and your air) are feeling up to it.

Those squeals are an excellent sign though. Learn to control them and center them via Caruso, and you'll have some screamin' high notes--just don't be in too much of a rush.
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carmine used to say that the "good" notes come from the "bad" ones.

You often get notes soft before they become loud.

Practicing very low (pedals) will teach you how to play high.

Practicing slow will teach you to play fast.

Don't be result conscious and DON'T THINK!

Pick up a copy of The Inner Game Of Tennis by W. Tomothy Gallwey, which, IMO, articulates the basic principle of the Caruso approach quite well.

Carmine developed a mode of practice that implements that principle for the trumpet.
BobList
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hard thing is to incorporate the "INNER GAME" WHILE PLAYING....IT NEEDS TO MELD INTO ONE, i'M HOPING THAT cARUSO WILL DO THAT FOR ME....i'VE NOTICED THAT SO FAR, ONE WEEK INTO IT, THAT MY BREATHING IS NOT WORKING CORRECTLY IN THE HIGH REGESTER( doing the seconds drill) ...BUT i HAVE PATIENCE knowing that the drills will teach me to correct it ( sorry, damn caps key sticks).. It doesn't bother me because during normal playing, all is well. I'm hoping the the drills EXPOSED this problem rather than "caused" it, in a way. I have faith that it will straighten out. Anyone else experience something like this?
Bob List, Baltimore
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to bob list:

i'm studying with this guy named cliff from a local music store... as far as the breathing i was having problems with it too until i started to do my clarkes technical studies again..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the squeaks started to come out, Carmine would say, "where there's smoke, there's fire."

The important thing is that practicing the Caruso exercises will promote better embouchure balance. the higher the notes, the better the balance. You will find higher notes will gradually speak, akthough this is not the specific goal of the practicing.

These squeaks will eventually grow into notes as your body responds to the particular challenge each exercise presents. Your teacher should tailor your practice program to your unique progress. Just do the practice, observe the changes, and don't think.

Alan Dean
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: