• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Puffy Cheek Routine?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an e-mail message to me Paul mentioned the "puffy cheek routine" as a way of helping one of my trumpet students speed along his embouchure type switch. Doug Elliott, when first helping me realize that I should be a type IVA, had me doing some cheek puffing. The trouble is, it was really difficult for me to puff my cheeks and play at that time, so he never described the whole routine to me.

Could someone please detail what this routine is and how to use it, particularly for a trumpet player making the switch from playing like a type IIIB to a type IV?

Thanks!

Dave
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David;
I can describe and play the routine for you. I do it every day and have been for the last 20 years.
I am not sure how it would relate to a switch from IIIB to a IV.
Scott Holbert or Dave Sheetz may be able to answer that question.
WEG
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Me (Paul) again.....

The drill is orgignally called "The Relaxation Routine". I am going to quote directly and paraphrase....hope no one minds.

The first note you play is a "G" on the top of the staff for 8 counts. Then top space E, C, and second line G in the same fashion. "Use a HOOOO no tongue attack-with the cheeks puffed out-and use more than your usual amount of mouthpiece pressure. Inhale in the normal mouth corner manner and repeat in the identical fashion. At the conclusion of the repeat, remove the mouthpiece from the lips for four counts-then continue in the identical manner to the conclusion of the drill. The volume may vary from day to day; this is normal. THE PURPOSE OF (THE) DRILL ... (IS) TO MAKE IT POSSIBLE FOR YOU TO HAVE IDENTICLE MOUTHPIECE PLACEMENT FROM ONE DAY TO THE NEXT, REGARDLESS OF THE AMOUNT OF EMBOUCHURE SWELLING OR LOSS OF FEEL."

So, Top of the staff "G" for 8 counts, nose breath and repeat. Mouthpiece off, rest 4 counts. "E" 8 counts, nose breath, repeat. Mouthpiece off, rest 4 counts. Middle "C" 8 counts, nose breath, etc......to second line "G"

Besides getting day to day identical mouthpiece placement (and this is not explained on the sheet), your jaw needs to be in the correct position to get that first "G" out (and he wants that "G" to be your psychological middle register). It also helps you find your legs and relaxes the cheek area. So this drill does several things at once.

Hope this makes sense.....

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.
Hubert H. Humphrey
US politician (1911 - 1978)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: