• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

novice

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would a player want to learn the reinhardt system??
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooooookkkkkkaaaaaaayyyyyy. i guess a player shouldnt learn the system??

the reason i'm asking is i read the sign of the door before i came in and it said "learn about the teachings of reinhart". anyway, i know zero about the reinhart system other than there seems to be a pivot in use when you play and that rich uses the system very well. can someone explain the system??
[ This Message was edited by: spanky on 2002-09-06 10:06 ]

[ This Message was edited by: spanky on 2002-09-06 10:19 ]
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all here for ya buddy...

http://www.mindspring.com/~scream/pivot

Roddy o-iii<O

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, from the descriptions at the website, i think i'm a IIIB. if you play downstream, that makes you a IIIB, right??
hairy james

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky, There are three downstream types in the pivot system. They are: The IIIA, IIIB and the standard type III. Types IIIA and IIIB are very common trumpet types, while the standard III is less common on trumpet, it is fairly common on trombone. Without going into great detail I'll try to give the simplest description of each type. Type IIIB- The most common type of all (especially on trumpet) places the mouthpiece about half and half to slightly higher on the top lip. The horn angle can be anywhere from almost horizontal to varying degrees of a downward tilt. A typical type IIIB is Al Vizzuti. Type IIIA- Places the mouthpiece anywhere from 70 to 80% on the top lip ( and in some cases even higher ) the horn angle is generaly higher than the IIIB often around horizontal or even higher.A typical type IIIA is Dave Stahl. The standard type III- Can place anywhere from half and half on up. The horn angle is always decidedly downward, and the red of the lower lip is always drawn in and over the lower teeth. Most trumpet players of this type will either become a IIIA or IIIB when they learn to protrude the jaw correctly, But you still see standard type III's on trombone. A typical standard type III on trumpet was Conrad Gozzo and on Trombone, Tommy Dorsey. Each one of these types has either a "push up" or "pull down" pivot to ascend or descend, describing all of that information, plus WHAT PIVOTING TRULY IS would be too time consuming here. If you are really interested may I suggest you buy the "Encyclopedia of the Pivot System" by Dr. Donald S Reinhardt. Dave Sheetz sells corrected versions for about thirty dollars. You can get in touch with Dave on the website Roddy has mentioned above. Good Luck, Chris LaBarbera
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-06 11:21, spanky wrote:
ok, from the descriptions at the website, i think i'm a IIIB. if you play downstream, that makes you a IIIB, right??

Hey, Frank . . . Chris has given a very thorough answer. And the reason that Chris keeps suggesting Dave Sheetz's corrected version of the Encyclopedia of the Pivot System is twofold: 1) the original version that was typed by Doc himself and printed by Charles Colin has been out of print for quite some time, and 2) the "revised" version of the Encyclopedia was typeset by me when I was working a day-gig where I had to hide what I was doing so that I didn't get fired. Now, that's a big book to try to type without being noticed, and the Colins did not proofread the book, hence there are many typos, some omissions, and most egregiously a large part that Allan told me "not to worry about" so it never got re-typed. I haven't seen what Dave is selling as the corrected version, but I have the original and the "revised" and would not recommend the "revised" version to anybody.

Having said all that, it's also a good idea to study with somebody who has a pretty good understanding of Doc's teachings, ideally somebody who studied with Doc for years.

When you and I hung out at the NB Clinic in Atlanta, I didn't feel that it was really the appropriate time to be troubleshooting your chops, even though we did talk about a couple things. A lesson with Paul Garrett (who lives fairly close to you) is probably a good idea. Or, if you want to try to hook up with me, we're about 200 miles apart, and I could help you get oriented to the Pivot System.

But I probably wouldn't recommend that just anybody buy the book(s) and try to do it as a loner. Many misinterpretations could be avoided by studying directly with someone who's been through it in depth. The material itself is not what I'm concerned about, it's the way we have a tendency to read what we want to see rather than read what's really on the page (and I'm quite guilty of that at times).

Okay, I was also waiting to see what other guys told you since I don't want to feel like I'm posting too much around here (whoops, it might already be too late for that!).

Rich
hairy james

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, I agree with you one hundred percent. One of the problems with this forum is that the Pivot System and Doc's teachings are so detailed and highly personalized that it's impossible to help most of these players without actually seeing them in person. I can't tell you how many times I called Doc with a problem, and he would say to me "Come up and see me." or "There's not much I can tell you over the phone, I have to see it." And remember, I was his student at the time and was already well versed in the Pivot System. So when a person asks a question on this forum who knows nothing about the Pivot Sytem, or someome who has had limited contact with one of Doc's former students, they have to understand that guys like Paul, Rich and myself can only do so much. All we can do is answer very basic question here, If you need more than that, then you MUST STUDY WITH SOMEONE WHO REALLY KNOWS THE PIVOT SYSTEM!!! We can't solve your chop problems here. Chris.
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm confused (as usual). I've been interested in Doc's ideas ever since first hearing about him, but have hesitated because I've got too much material now (information overload) and I didn't (so far as I know) have a local resource (teeacher) to visit. Now, with this forum. I decided to order the Encyclopedia and go through it with the idea of at least seeing what it was all about, largely because several posts said he had provided all the info needed to carry on his legacy in the book. Or, at least it plus material which could hopefully be provided by persons contributing to this forum.

Now, y'all say a teacher is the only way to go? So, if I go ahead and get the book, I'll need to find a teacher to interpret it for me? Now, this is NOT something I consider bad -- I didn't really understand the Chicago approach before getting a teacher, and it's spelled out pretty simply. Before Charly and the Caruso Forum, much of the Caruso exercises seemed a bit of a mystery, even though the directions are clear. I understand, and encourage, the value of a good teacher. I just want to know if it's worth getting the book without a teacher, and why. Can I learn Doc's approach from the book, or should I consider it an addition to a good Reinhardt teacher? Can I determine my "type" alone with the book, or does it take a teacher? I can well see why it would, but perhaps you in the know could clarify the murky water a bit for me?

Curious, and grateful for any response,
I remain,
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-07 16:05, Don Herman wrote:
I decided to order the Encyclopedia and go through it with the idea of at least seeing what it was all about, largely because several posts said he had provided all the info needed to carry on his legacy in the book. Or, at least it plus material which could hopefully be provided by persons contributing to this forum.

Now, y'all say a teacher is the only way to go? So, if I go ahead and get the book, I'll need to find a teacher to interpret it for me? Now, this is NOT something I consider bad -- I didn't really understand the Chicago approach before getting a teacher, and it's spelled out pretty simply. Before Charly and the Caruso Forum, much of the Caruso exercises seemed a bit of a mystery, even though the directions are clear. I understand, and encourage, the value of a good teacher. I just want to know if it's worth getting the book without a teacher, and why. Can I learn Doc's approach from the book, or should I consider it an addition to a good Reinhardt teacher? Can I determine my "type" alone with the book, or does it take a teacher? I can well see why it would, but perhaps you in the know could clarify the murky water a bit for me?

Curious, and grateful for any response,
I remain,

Don, I think the book alone will help with many things. However, I think if you make a decision to go 100% with the "Pivot System" that you'd be making a mistake to try to do it all on your own.

In your case, you sound like a guy who takes a little from everybody, and that's okay. Some guys have stable enough chops that they can do that and actually benefit from it.

Most guys who went to Doc did so because everything else had failed them. If you're a completely broken down player (as I was) looking for the real answer, it can be found in the Encyclopedia, but you may need the guidance of someone who's already been there to point it out for you.

So, the concise answer to your questions: yes, it's worth getting the book without a teacher, and yes, you probably can do it with the book alone. However, the chances of you fitting all the pieces together logically and with correct timing are much greater if you get lessons with a knowledgeable teacher.

I usually sit down thinking I have a clear response, and once I start typing, I notice that the original thought seems to have left me, so I'm sorry if this seemed vague and not-to-the-point.

Rich
hairy james

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The enclyclopedia can help you with the very basics. There is a wealth of good information in there. But I think its dangerous for a novice to try to type himself. As a matter of fact Doc says in the encyclopedia "Correct type diagnosis and analysis is the difference between success and faliure." There are a few important things to consider. First of all, there are five types in the book that Doc said would be "Impossible for a novice in the Pivot System to determine with any degree of accuracy." They are types I, IA, II, IIA and the standard type III. He said that these types should get a "Personal orientation and analysis of their entire physical playing anatomy." Another thing you must remember is that your type can change. IIIB's somtimes become IV's or IVA's. The standard type III on trumpet usually winds up becoming either a IIIA or IIIB. The reasons for these changes are many. Sometimes when a player has corrected a bad playing habit his type will change. Other things that bring on a type change are teeth shifting, an injury, or very stressful playing situations. For example, lets say a IIIB takes a gig on a rock band where he's playing loud an high for extended periods. That IIIB can easily "slip down and out of position" and become a IV or IVA. When Doc would type you he would usually put "For now." after your type, meaning even he did'nt know what type you might wind up after several months of study with him. How can a novice or a person with a limited knowlage of the Pivot System handle all that information? As Doc would say, "A little knowlage is a dangerous thing." Chris LaBarbera.
_Don Herman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, that does clear it up for me. I'll probably order the book out of curiousity and a desire to learn all that is knowable...

As for "stable" chops, not even close in my case. I'm still trying to find myself. It is true I find a lot of useful tidbits in many methods, and much overlap. Yes, I do read a lot, and have tried quite a few things. This comes from my day gig as an analog design engineer, not my trumpet playing hobby. Gives me a deep seated instinct to research everything in excruciating detail, and coupled with my innate curiousity about most all things leads to information overload. My teacher is good at keeping me on track, and tolerates my analytical deviations -- to a point. (Note the first four letters of "analytical"... )

So, guess I'm saying that while "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" (seems I've heard that elsewhere? ) too much is just as bad... The old "paralysis by analysis" bit.

Thannks guys! - Don
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-08 01:03, Don Herman wrote:
So, guess I'm saying that while "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" (seems I've heard that elsewhere? ) too much is just as bad... The old "paralysis by analysis" bit.

How can knowing too much be bad? Okay, maybe if you know too much about CIA or FBI classified information, or if you witnessed some kind of serious crime you could be in trouble.

But this is what many of us do for a living. How can knowing too much about how to play a trumpet be a bad thing?

Can I know too many tunes/scales/arpeggios/licks, etc. to the point where I'm paralyzed and can't improvise anymore?

Are you saying that knowing too much about chord/scale relationships and orchestration and compositional techniques can hurt me as a composer or as an arranger. Nonsense! The more I know, the better I'll be able to arrange/compose.

And back to trumpet, especially if I'm going to teach, am I going to intentionally remain as ignorant as I possibly can so I'm not accused of "analysis paralysis?" Oh, perfect . . . a guy comes in twisting and winding up, and I don't know to tell him that he needs to adopt a wet embouchure. My lack of analysis will perpetuate his paralysis!

I agree that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but I fail to see how knowing as much as possible about playing trumpet is going to hurt me as a player or as a teacher.

Rich
_Don Herman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Rich,

I didn't mean to cause trouble here... especially since I'm already off topic. I have myself, and have seen in some students, a tendency to get overloaded with different theories and methods. They try too many different things, and don't settle on any one enough to know if it truly helps or hurts. How can they -- they don't know! BTW, you can insert "I" and "me" in the sentences above and you'd be right much of the time. The problem isn’t "too much information" exactly; it's in knowing how, when, and why to apply the information.

I think the teacher is in the opposite position. As a teacher (grad EE lectures, but the same idea works here, I think) I try to know and understand everything I can about the topic, not only so I won't be caught off guard (I wish!) but also to be able to present an idea several different ways. I like the "rule of threes" from my (long ago) Karate days -- I try to have at least three different ways to explain a point, hoping one of the ways will reach each student so everybody goes home happy. In this case, "too much information" does not apply.

The trick for me is to gain information (and I love learning, it's a curse) without getting "wishy-washy" about what to use when. We (trumpet players, or engineers or anything else, for that matter) often have to teach ourselves, so we ride the line between gaining enough knowledge to do that intelligently, and getting so many different things to try -- and trying them -- that we never progress. As you and others have posted here and in other forums, a halfway approach is most often doomed to failure. A dilettante approach -- picking and choosing what works best -- requires careful execution and pretty thorough understanding of what to try and for how long, imho.

I hope this rambling helps clear things up; I'll try to stay out from here on in an attempt to avoiding trouncing toes. Sorry!

Best wishes - Don
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second Rich, here.

Many players are lucky enough to naturally find the right way for them play most efficiently. When everything is working well, too much thought and analysis can indeed cause a paralysis of sorts because your attention is on something other than the expression and musicality.

But for the rest of us, a little analysis will take us a long way. When something doesn't work it won't be fixed by ignoring it. We need to discover *why* it doesn't work and *how* to fix it. Once we've got the problem solved, *then* we can go back to not thinking about it.

Dave
hairy james

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing when it comes to Reinhardt. I can give you dozens of examples of this. Suppose a novice upstream type buys the encyclopedia, mis-types himself as a downstream type and then tries to do the "Four Buzzing Catagories of the Pivot System" that are in the encyclopedia. You can learn all the scales and practice all the harmony you want to and it will never put you into a "Brass playing spin." as Doc would say. As I said before there are five types in the encyclopedia that Doc wouldn't even talk about because he said it would be impossible for a novice to figure them out? There are many things that a novice can get from the encyclopedia to help their playing. But remember, Doc has four standard embouchure types and five sub types plus eight tongue types! I believe "The Encyclopedia of the Pivot System" is the greatest body of work ever written about brass playing, and Doc it's greatest genius. I'll say this again; How can anyone with little or no knowledge of the Pivot System be expected to decifer all that information. All I have to do is think back to the way I felt right after I had my first lesson with Doc. I was totally confused when I left his studio. It took several weeks for the whole thing to really sink in. And remember I was studying with the actual author of the book in question. Think this over. Chris

[ This Message was edited by: hairy james on 2002-09-08 14:07 ]

[ This Message was edited by: hairy james on 2002-09-08 22:32 ]
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i've been away for a few days and now i see that trying to "type" myself was very misguided. so here i am, a definite novice. i currently max out at "G" over high "C" on a good day. more realistic is probably "F" over high "C". i'm trying to increase my range but more importantly, i'm trying to improve the fullness(fatness??) of my sound. will reinhart help me?? i was trying to learn SC but kinda fell out of favor i guess and i'm searching. can this system help me??
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES!!!!!! What's SC?

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.
Hubert H. Humphrey
US politician (1911 - 1978)
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SC is Super Chops.
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can hit a G over high C and thats considered novice? cmon??!!!!

I rarely see a piece a music where a high G or better is required....and I aint exactly a novice.
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-10 17:45, jgadvert wrote:
You can hit a G over high C and thats considered novice? cmon??!!!!

I rarely see a piece a music where a high G or better is required....and I aint exactly a novice.

Now, last I knew, it was how musically one played that determined where he/she was ranked in the "hierarchy" of musicianship. There are countless guys who can play double C who can't make music to save their lives . . . I would call that "novice." There are also countless guys who can't get out of the staff to save their lives, yet can play the most beautiful music you'd ever want to hear. I would not call that "novice."

My least favorite type of player is what I call "The Warmup Wizard." This guy shows up for the gig/rehearsal/whatever and pulls out his horn and plays all this incredible-sounding stuff, and everybody's thinking, "Holy Cow! This guy can play!"

Then, when you count off the first tune, or he gets an exposed solo passage, or he gets his first chance to blow over some changes, you realize that the only thing he sounds good at is his warmup. I believe I'd call that a "novice" also.

Back to the subject at hand, though . . . .
Quote:

On 2002-09-10 09:43, spanky wrote:
ok, i've been away for a few days and now i see that trying to "type" myself was very misguided. so here i am, a definite novice. i currently max out at "G" over high "C" on a good day. more realistic is probably "F" over high "C". i'm trying to increase my range but more importantly, i'm trying to improve the fullness(fatness??) of my sound. will reinhart help me?? i was trying to learn SC but kinda fell out of favor i guess and i'm searching. can this system help me??

For most guys, any "system" that has you practicing 3-5 hours a day will likely result in improvement, unless you're practicing in a manner that defeats your particular physical type. Plenty of guys spend their time "perfecting their mistakes." If we can figure out what (if anything) is holding you back and you set out to overcome those obstacles, you're probably going to make progress.

I'm not sure what it is you're looking for, but I'm not going to say that the Pivot System is the only way you'll ever improve. I just know that when I follow Doc's teachings to the letter (to the best of my ability), I continue to improve.

Doggone it! I feel like I never made my point again. Gee, what was my point?

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: