• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Typical insertion amount for a Bach Strad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

As does my Bach mouthpiece receiver.

I've just checked the insertion amount of all my trumpet mouthpieces in both my Bach 37 and Xeno II, and each individual mouthpiece inserts equivalently in each.

What I'm not understanding, is that Lipshurt said, "On a Bach the leadpipe slides in to butt against a ledge in the receiver so it can’t be adjusted by unsoldering and moving it." Doesn't that therefore mean that a replacement leadpipe must have its ledge at the same depth as the original. If so, even though you have a Melk pipe, presumably even with the original leadpipe, mouthpieces would have inserted in your 48xxx Bach, the same as they do in my 166xxx Bach and Yamaha trumpets.

How does your 48xxx Bach play with mouthpieces inserting further, and equivalent to your Yamaha trumpets?

Apologies if I am misunderstanding your confusion:

No worries. I think that I do largely understand.

Insertion is independent of gap (loosely defined as the distance between the end of your mouthpiece and the venturi). I could have a 12 foot receiver where the mouthpiece only inserts 24mm. But I think you know that part.

MY REPLY:
Yes, I do, but thanks very much.

The second question is "doesn't that therefore mean that a replacement leadpipe must have it's ledge..." Generally, when people replace leadpipes, they tend to replace the receiver as well (because people do all sorts of funny things upon insertion and wear it out). So, if your receiver is original, and only the leadpipe was replaced, then yes, it should have the same "gap/insertion."

MY REPLY:
Thanks very much for clarifying this.

However ALL of my leadpipe/receivers have the same distance from the end of the mouthpiece to the venturi despite the differing insertion distances.

MY REPLY:
Now, I’m confused. If you don’t have any of your mouthpieces cut for sleeves, how can this be the case, with both Bach and Yamaha trumpets and various makes of mouthpiece?

have no original components on my 48xxx bach until the tuning slide (new receiver and leadpipe).

MY REPLY:
Thanks very much for clarifying this.

Focusing on insertion is good for 1 thing: determining which sleeve is equivalent to which sleeve is equivalent to which mouthpiece taper. Insertion alone is not good for determining the actual gap.

MY REPLY:
I understood this, thanks, but was presuming that most people’s Bach mouthpiece receivers are pretty much the same, with the leadpipe starting the same distance in, and that therefore insertion amount would be a way of comparing the gaps of different players. Obviously this wouldn’t work if the distance from the top of the leadpipe to the top of the mouthpiece receiver is not consistent from horn to horn.

My Yamaha and New Bach insertions are different but that distance (gap) is the same.

MY REPLY:

How please with an unsleeved mouthpiece?

Melk is equivalent to yamaha in insertion and gap,

MY REPLY:
Because you also have a Melk receiver?

bach and yamaha are not equivalent in insertion but equivalent in gap.

MY REPLY:
How please without sleeves?

You unfortunately cannot measure gap because you have a very strange situation going on.

MY REPLY:
That is true lol.

Hope I was clear haha.

MY REPLY:
Yes, and no, but I have no idea how you can have a consistent gap between two different names of trumpet and numerous makes of mouthpiece, not cut for sleeves.

Take care and best wishes

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:

MY REPLY:

MY REPLY:
Yes, and no, but I have no idea how you can have a consistent gap between two different names of trumpet and numerous makes of mouthpiece, not cut for sleeves.

I think your main question is "how without sleeves?" I thought I had illustrated it with my "12 foot receiver" explanation.

It doesn't matter how much of the shank is covered by the receiver, what matters is how far the end of the mouthpiece is from the venturi. Insertion amount does not play a direct role in gap formation. It's just that the receiver must catch the mouthpiece somewhere on the shank before it hits the venturi.

On bach, lets say that's 24mm (so it sits "further out" and more shank is exposed) and yamaha that's 25mm (so it sits "further in" and less shank is exposed). Well, the venturi is also "1mm deeper" into the receiver than on a bach receiver. Therefore, equivalent gap.

I think you are thinking that insertion says something definite about the position of the end of the mouthpiece's distance to the venturi. It does not in comparison from brand to brand, but it does(!) if you are trying various sleeves on a single trumpet (because then you know that mm of difference of insertion will translate to mm of distance from venturi). If you know the taper of the mouthpiece, you can design your receiver to catch at any point on the shank for the end of the mouthpiece to be a proper distance from the venturi.

I do have a Melk receiver and leadpipe on my 48xxx Bach, yes.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a quick reply for now, but you appear to be saying that the distance between the end of the mouthpiece shank and top of the leadpipe remains constant between different makes and models of trumpet and mouthpiece. If you are not saying this please clarify.

Many thank

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Only a quick reply for now, but you appear to be saying that the distance between the end of the mouthpiece shank and top of the leadpipe remains constant between different makes and models of trumpet and mouthpiece. If you are not saying this please clarify.

At least for my Bachs and Yamahas, that is what I'm saying. I cannot speak for all Bachs and Yamahas and certainly not any other brand.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

At least for my Bachs and Yamahas, that is what I'm saying. I cannot speak for all Bachs and Yamahas and certainly not any other brand.

To be honest, I think that we are still at cross purposes. The distance from the top of your mouthpiece receiver to the top of your leadpipe ledge is constant for each individual trumpet. You are listing varying insertion amounts with different mouthpieces. Your Bach mouthpiece that inserts 22.50mm or whatever you said (I’m mud rehearsal in a hurry with the wrong glasses on), cannot have the exact same gap as one that inserts say 24mm, or to put it another way, a mouthpiece inserts further must surely have the end of its shank closer to the top of the leadpipe.

The way I understand this, is that for you to have the same gap
On both Yamaha trumpets and Bach trumpets, each mouthpiece, whatever make must have the same exact gap when inserted, between the end of the shank and top of the leadpipe, which would only be the case if all the mouthpieces inserted identically in each trumpet.

i.e. Trumpet A has a measurement of 27mm from the top of the mouthpiece receiver to the top of the leadpipe. All mouthpieces insert 24mm, so the gap is 3mm.

Trumpet B has a measurement of 28 mm from the top of the mouthpiece receiver to the top of the leadpipe. All mouthpieces insert 25mm, so again a 3mm gap.

You appear to be saying this, but can’t be with all your various insertion amounts.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s not true distance from the edge of the receiver to the leadpipe that is likely to vary. It’s easy to get that distance right every time.

What changes is the diameter of the inside of the receiver or the diameter of the shank. Since they fit together on a taper rate of .050 per inch, if something is only .001 off the resulting gap distance is changed by .020.

It’s very likely to be the case. If the mouthpiece is buffed hard it can easily insert too far. If it did not require much buffing and go extra plating it might not insert far enough. That is if the mouthpiece was made exactly right. Same goes for the receiver. You get the point.

My guess is that if anyone gets identical gaps with multiple horn and mouthpiece combinations, it’s either very lucky, or the measurement isn’t close enough resolution.

As an aside, regarding your eclipse pipe with no ledge, that is similar to a conn 22b and many other setups. It is less picky with gap, even though it still makes some difference its not the same set of issues. No ledge give a feeling of bigness and freeness at the possible trade off of pinging response…the square corners of a gap setup have a nice secure feeling which is good and still much different than the no ledge setup.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
i.e. Trumpet A has a measurement of 27mm from the top of the mouthpiece receiver to the top of the leadpipe. All mouthpieces insert 24mm, so the gap is 3mm.

Trumpet B has a measurement of 28 mm from the top of the mouthpiece receiver to the top of the leadpipe. All mouthpieces insert 25mm, so again a 3mm gap.

You appear to be saying this, but can’t be with all your various insertion amounts.

You've got it!

Ok, now look at my measurments for "New Bach" and "Gen ii yamaha". You'll see that you get precisely 1mm more on each of the insertion amounts.

I do not know what Taper sleeves use.

Last edited by abontrumpet on Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
It’s very likely to be the case. If the mouthpiece is buffed hard it can easily insert too far. If it did not require much buffing and go extra plating it might not insert far enough. That is if the mouthpiece was made exactly right. Same goes for the receiver. You get the point.

My guess is that if anyone gets identical gaps with multiple horn and mouthpiece combinations, it’s either very lucky, or the measurement isn’t close enough resolution.

+1
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

You've got it!

Thanks very much tor the clarification.

Ok, now look at my measurments for "New Bach" and "Gen ii yamaha". You'll see that you get precisely 1mm more on each of the insertion amounts.

I get that, thanks. No offence, but you haven’t given me the measurement from the top of the mouthpiece receiver to the leadpipe ledge for any of your trumpets.

If this measurement is also 1 mm greater for your Yanaha trumpets, hen I agree that you have the same gap fie each mouthpiece on each trumpet. However on each trumpet, your gap varies from mouthpiece to mouthpiece.

Take care and best wishes.

Lou

I do not know what Taper sleeves use.

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
It’s not true distance from the edge of the receiver to the leadpipe that is likely to vary. It’s easy to get that distance right every time.

What changes is the diameter of the inside of the receiver or the diameter of the shank. Since they fit together on a taper rate of .050 per inch, if something is only .001 off the resulting gap distance is changed by .020.

As an aside, regarding your eclipse pipe with no ledge, that is similar to a conn 22b and many other setups. It is less picky with gap, even though it still makes some difference its not the same set of issues. No ledge give a feeling of bigness and freeness at the possible trade off of pinging response…the square corners of a gap setup have a nice secure feeling which is good and still much different than the no ledge setup.

Thanks very much, Doug. This is extremely useful and helpful. I will reply properly tomorrow, as I’ve just got in.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

MY REPLY:

MY REPLY:

I think your main question is "how without sleeves?" I thought I had illustrated it with my "12 foot receiver" explanation.

It doesn't matter how much of the shank is covered by the receiver, what matters is how far the end of the mouthpiece is from the venturi.

Yes I know this, thanks.

Insertion amount does not play a direct role in gap formation. It's just that the receiver must catch the mouthpiece somewhere on the shank before it hits the venturi.

Yes.

On bach, lets say that's 24mm (so it sits "further out" and more shank is exposed) and yamaha that's 25mm (so it sits "further in" and less shank is exposed). Well, the venturi is also "1mm deeper" into the receiver than on a bach receiver. Therefore, equivalent gap.

I'm with you now, but I don't remember you ever saying before that the distance between the end of the mouthpiece receiver and start of the leadpipe was also 1mm longer.

I think you are thinking that insertion says something definite about the position of the end of the mouthpiece's distance to the venturi.

No, I'm honestly not. How could it possibly? The start of the leadpipe could theoretically be any distance down the mouthpiece receiver, that it is possible to mount it. Let's say that a mouthpiece inserts 24mm, you have a 3mm gap if the distance from the end of the mouthpiece receiver to top of the leadpipe is 27mm, 4mm gap if it is 28mm and 5mm gap if it is 29mm.

It does not in comparison from brand to brand, but it does(!) if you are trying various sleeves on a single trumpet (because then you know that mm of difference of insertion will translate to mm of distance from venturi). If you know the taper of the mouthpiece, you can design your receiver to catch at any point on the shank for the end of the mouthpiece to be a proper distance from the venturi.

You can, but isn't there an industry standard for trumpet mouthpieces and hence sleeves of a taper of .050 per inch.

I do have a Melk receiver and leadpipe on my 48xxx Bach, yes.

Thanks very much confirming this.

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:

Thanks very much, Doug.

What changes is the diameter of the inside of the receiver or the diameter of the shank.

Very interesting, thanks.

Since they fit together on a taper rate of .050 per inch, if something is only .001 off the resulting gap distance is changed by .020.

Thanks very much.

I do, thanks.

Yes, I agree.

As an aside, regarding your eclipse pipe with no ledge, that is similar to a conn 22b and many other setups. It is less picky with gap, even though it still makes some difference its not the same set of issues. No ledge give a feeling of bigness and freeness at the possible trade off of pinging response…

Yes, that is exactly what I'm getting, thanks.

the square corners of a gap setup have a nice secure feeling which is good and still much different than the no ledge setup.

This is what I have with my Yamaha Xeno II, and it is better for orchestral playing in my opinion.

Many thanks again for your very useful and helpful post.

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to point out that, apparently, you do not have a Bach receiver and leadpipe so general insertion depths on other Bach pipes may not help you.

Since your trumpet is now "gapless" you need to establish the narrowest portion of your receiver/leadpipe - venturi and measure from there to the player end of the receiver.

You can then establish your existing "gap".
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
Just want to point out that, apparently, you do not have a Bach receiver and leadpipe so general insertion depths on other Bach pipes may not help you.

Thanks very much Andy. I defintiely have a Bach receiver, so any leadpipe should be mounted a the depth of a Bach leadpipe, and I don't know whether I have a Bach leadpipe, only that I have a replacement leadpipe. It could very well be a Bach 25.

Since your trumpet is now "gapless" you need to establish the narrowest portion of your receiver/leadpipe - venturi and measure from there to the player end of the receiver.

You can then establish your existing "gap".

Thank you very much. I wouldn't say that it is actually gapless, rather that it doesn't have an actual gap. I know that it sounds like the same thing, but a gapless set up would presumably have the end of the mouthpiece shank touching the end of the leadpipe, and this is not what I have. Instead I have a mouthpiece that ends in the mouthpiece receiver presumably above the end of a leadpipe with no actual edge, but of course you knew that.

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
... but isn't there an industry standard for trumpet mouthpieces and hence sleeves of a taper of .050 per inch. ...

----------------------------
Yes, the 'standard' taper of a trumpet mpc shank, and a receiver is ~0.050 per inch (it is called a Morse 1 taper, and it and various other 'Morse tapers' are commonly used in machine tools when 2 parts have to be securely mated together but still need to be easily detachable.

A Bach trumpet mpc shank has the OD at the small end of 0.382 (which probably results in the desired gap when inserted into a Bach receiver).
If the beginning OD is smaller, the gap will be less (deeper insertion), a larger beginning OD will give more gap (less insertion) - but the taper of the shank would remain the same 0.050 per inch.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
... but isn't there an industry standard for trumpet mouthpieces and hence sleeves of a taper of .050 per inch. ...

----------------------------
Yes, the 'standard' taper of a trumpet mpc shank, and a receiver is ~0.050 per inch (it is called a Morse 1 taper, and it and various other 'Morse tapers' are commonly used in machine tools when 2 parts have to be securely mated together but still need to be easily detachable.

A Bach trumpet mpc shank has the OD at the small end of 0.382 (which probably results in the desired gap when inserted into a Bach receiver).
If the beginning OD is smaller, the gap will be less (deeper insertion), a larger beginning OD will give more gap (less insertion) - but the taper of the shank would remain the same 0.050 per inch.

Thanks very much, Jay. Although 0.382" is the measurement in the Bach mouthpiece manual, I thought that Bach trumpet mouthpieces more typically had a small end of 0.383". I have a feeling that 0.382" will insert more like a Yamaha mouthpiece, but I could be wrong.

Many thanks very much again.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
1. your gap varies from mouthpiece to mouthpiece.

1. Correct.

P.S. In reading everything else, it sounds like I haven't told you anything new!

P.P. S. Oh yes, I measured the difference in distance to the venturi on New Bach Pipe and Gen ii Yamaha and the yamaha is 1mm deeper, as hypothesized.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:

Thanks very much, Jay. Although 0.382" is the measurement in the Bach mouthpiece manual, I thought that Bach trumpet mouthpieces more typically had a small end of 0.383". ...

----
Yes, I was going by the 382 number in the manual - I just now measured my old Mt Vernon 7 and newish Bach 7 with a professional quality dial calipers, and they both are about 0.390 .
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

Thanks very much, Jay. Although 0.382" is the measurement in the Bach mouthpiece manual, I thought that Bach trumpet mouthpieces more typically had a small end of 0.383". ...

----
Yes, I was going by the 382 number in the manual - I just now measured my old Mt Vernon 7 and newish Bach 7 with a professional quality dial calipers, and they both are about 0.390 .

Interesting, thanks. It is a shame that I don’t have callipers or I would measure the shank end of my James R New sleeve.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the very best photo I can get of what is down the leadpipe of my Bach 37. Please trust since I have managed to look at this from all angles, even though I cannot photograph it from any other angle, that this is a flat gold coloured band, absolutely flush with the leadpipe below and mouthpiece receiver above. There is absolutely no ledge whatsoever:

This hasn't been merely bevelled, there truly is no ledge.

Does anyone have an opinions what is going on here, except from it not being standard.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: