• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Top Ten Jazz Solo "Excerpts"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strawdoggy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all you jazzheads - I thought it would be interesting to see what all-time great jazz solos/transcriptions should be "required playing" for aspiring jazz trumpeters. This would be a list through the years. Think of it as a counterpart of the top ten orchestral excerpts that are requested for orchestral auditions sometimes listed in the ITG quarterly.

Here's one to get the ball rolling -

Intro to West End Blues - Louis Armstrong.

Steve
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about Clifford Browns solo break on Cherokee
cybertrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Morgan's solo on Blue Trane, Clifford Brown on cherokee and confirmation, Tom Harrell's solo on anything off of the Bill Evans albulm, "We will meet again", Lous Armstrong's Struttin with some Barbeque (it is amazing how this solo parallels a bach fugue), Chet Baker solos...any of them!, Miles Davis's So what solo and flamenco sketches. I have also found that the more that I transcribe the better my language, however it is important to learn the solos and then try to forget about them. The most important elements to each solo that you "lift" or "transcribe" will stay with you, as we all have our fav's. pick what sounds musical to you and always listen to what you like first. This is important in the development of your own sound and dialect within the language of jazz. History is incredibly important to the development of your own style and voice, but dont get the info-bog which can get in the way of creativity. Listen to the greats, which we all do alot of and practice these solos or excepts with an open and forgiving mind. dont beat your self up!! this is supposed to be fun and I remember the struggle that I would put myself on the brownie transcriptions that I did years back. I learned alot, but whoa nellie, was that hard to do! Have fun!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: