• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anyone Play GR Flugel Mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikester
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a GR Flugel piece at a NorthernBrass clinic. It really sounded and felt great.

Anyone play them?

Comments on sound: low and high range, endurance...
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a 64FL (as well as my trumpets pieces which are a 64M and 64MS). I love the sound I get from my Getzen Eterna flugel with this piece. I can't really speak for the range since everything I do with a flugel pretty much stays in the staff with an occasional g or a above the staff. Endurance is good since it matches my trumpet mouthpieces...and because of that, there are no surprises when I pick it up. I've seen some folks play flugel pieces that don't match their trumpet mouthpieces, and it throws them off switching between the two horns. Has anyone else seen that?

Greg

[ This Message was edited by: gregplo on 2002-02-11 21:16 ]
Jazzman885

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a FL65, which is a perfect match for my trumpet 65M. Makes switching so much easier than between pieces with different rim feel. I also think GR have got the "flugel sound" just right in their rim, cup and backbore design and would not hesitate to recommend you try one.
Range is no problem, although I can't claim to have put it to any extreme tests (I couldn't even if I wanted to !). Certainly it works within the range I need and is consistent throughout. I don't imagine endurance would be a problem, as there is enough resistance to make for an easy blow.

[ This Message was edited by: Jazzman885 on 2002-02-14 13:09 ]
TptProf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest a GR flugel mouthpiece to anyone. Mine plays with a very big velvety sound and I have no problems going into the upper register with it either. Intonation has been a positive change as well. It is a huge improvement upon any flugelhorn mouthpiece I have played in the past.
Robert Keith
Lobo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a 66FL, which of course is a perfect match for the 66S I use. The sound and intonation is great. Can't say much for range since I don't do much up there on flugel. Blends real well within the section.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: