• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

GR "PRIMAL 62"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Miconi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, Gary Ratke out does himself. If you trumpet players out there are having problems bottoming out on shallow volume mpcs with high alpha angles, you must try the PRIMAL 62 which was developed by Gary Ratke for Brian Scriver, lead trpt player wth "Primal Therapy. This mpc has the same alpha angle of the 62M, but with a medium shallow volume cup. You can color your tone for legit work, soft passage, etc or you can let her scream on those demanding lead parts. This is unquestionably the best mpc I have played. The Primal 62, along with an old vintage Benge trpt are a great combination.
TptProf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although this mouthpiece would not necessarily suit me, it is interesting to see how GR and Brian came up with this design. Here is a link to have a look:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/hedge.hog/primalmpc.htm

Robert Keith
Leedplyr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played on my GR Primal 62 for a week now. It is fantastic. At first it was a challenge adjusting to it. I called GR and Brian. They are like talking to the same guy except with a different voice. The mouthpiece is getting better now, even great. The customer service was even better.

I played for GR over the phone and he said I need to focus and use the air more efficiently. Also a problem with my tongue. He said don't worry just do these little drills and your ear will help you correct the problem.
He gave me a short warm up/lesson over the phone and emailed me some drills. I was doing things wrong and did not know how sloppy I was getting in my habits. I could play the high stuff but I sounded bad in the low register. I was beginning to force as I got tired and accuracy was not as good as I would like. I can't blame this on my old mouthpiece (another brand I won't mention) but I will blame myself.
The new GR mouthpiece is really top quality and plays better than anything I have played before. I needed help, not just a mouthpiece. I received both and would gladly pay double for this kind of service.

This may not have been the case if I didn't tell the truth and get the help I needed. GR said you can't learn this stuff in a book. Change your teeth, face, and jaw after playing many years without thinking and you will either go nuts or figure things out. (GR told me that he underwent some major dental work and had to teach himself how to play again.) Well, I believe he has figured some things out.

He doesn't talk about doing anything special with the lips. The little drills make you play correctly. I don't want to repeat what he told me because I am new at it and may say something wrong.

I called Brian and he told me about the same thing. Brian also mentioned the importance of the warm up. He said it will teach you to relax and focus for better accuracy and articulations between high C and double C. This confidence would allow me to play more musically up there. What a novel thought, playing high stuff musically.

In conclusion I purchased the Primal 62 mouthpiece for $100. I feel the value of the mouthpiece was better than any I have ever purchased so it was more like a $200 mouthpiece for 1/2 price. That's a deal. The lesson was worth much more and free. I wouldn't expect a free lesson with each mouthpiece but I told the truth and they responded. The teaching ability of these guys is special, so is the customer service. I can not thank GR enough!
C. Revas
Cozy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leedplyr,
Your testimonial is not unusual. GR and Brian Scriver are special in the small world of trumpeters. The GR Technology concepts are not rocket science but are scientific and precise.
Better yet, Gary and Brian do bend their own personal alpha angles to assist. Folks need to think about what that can mean.
I have the e62MS. Wonderful projection. I know it's close to the Primal 62, but the Primal has the latest tweaks.

Cozy
http://www.cozychops.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small world?

--Joseph
Cozy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small world?
--Joseph

Joseph, I hear ya'. I'm not implying there aren't a lot of trumpeters. Just go to your local jelly session, apply for bands, etc. -- Yep, lots of trumpeters. My point is that you'll cross paths with many at conferences, concerts, Internet dealings, gigs, etc. Something about "The Six Degrees," odds of someone knowing someone....

Cozy
http://www.cozychops.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: