• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What the Heck is GR mouthpieces. Why have I never heard of

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trptmaster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone explain this new GR mouthpiece fad I have come across on the trumpetherald. What is going on here. I have never ever heard of this company and people are talking like this is the new golden key. What is the difference between these mps and a Bach? Are these extra heavy ala monette. I notice none of the people I listen to are playing these. Is it a new company?
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GR is a new mouthpice, I'll leave the in depth descriptions to others who are more familiar. As far as famous people playing them, Doc Severinson plays a GR now, I believe. I am currently consulting with Brian Scriver at GR on getting set up with one and throughout our emails so far, he has lived up to the reputation on here for being extremely nice and helpful. I'm sure the same can be said for Bruce Lee, the main GR dealer here.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Lex Grantham
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For GR mouthpiece information, contact:

Bruce Lee
BruceLee@NorthernBrass.com
(603) 421-9178

-OR-

Go to the GR website

http://www.grmouthpieces.com

Sincerely,

Lex Grantham
TptProf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GR Mouthpieces are not like any other mouthpiece in design or manufacturing process. They play amazingly focused and have a huge sound.
I could give you the details but go right to them at http://www.grmouthpieces.com for the best info.
Robert Keith
trptmaster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your message and I did check the web site. It looks to me like its another mouthpiece company but they proclaim to use a whole bunch of math. Why do these pieces have such a huge sound? Is it bigger than that of a Bach or Monette. Or how could it be? I wonder what some one like Phil Smith would sound like on one of these.
TptProf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason for the big sound is in the design and manufacturing. The design is the real breakthrough. GR has removed discontinuities in the design. What this means they have removed anything that will cause turbulance.
The Wright Brothers did invent a flying machine. While it did fly, obviously it would not do what the Space Shuttle can. The same engineering ideas that go into the streamlined design on the outside of the shuttle are applied to the inside of a GR Mouthpiece. That may sound a little extreme but that is what is done to remove the discontinuities that are present in mouthpiece designs from the past. I will more than likely get flamed for the Space Shuttle statement. Flame me if you will but it is fact.
Robert Keith
Cozy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether playing in a space shuttle or in a concert hall, the GR does project extremely well and has a wonderful tone. The new-age precision tool and die techniques contribute to this. Great mpc. Check it out.

Cozy
http://www.cozychops.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
trptmaster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trptprof. Im not flaming here just curious. Are you telling me that the design behind a mouthpeice such as a bach could be compared to that of the first airplane while the GR mouthpiece could be compared to a Space Ship?
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of it more as a DC-10 versus a Lear Jet. Both will get you there, but the Lear is a heck of a better ride.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
gb1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if the GR person could get some more famous testimonials on his website, people would really start turning their heads. Their are some great players endorsing them on the website, but if you got, say, Phil Smith or Maynard to put in their .2 cents, look out.

It's funny, though, how everyone I really admire is happy with their Bach pieces.
David Oulton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I was happy with my Bach until I tried the GR... maybe I was playing the wrong Bach, maybe GR is just better for me...

David
TptProf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpet Master,
I suppose my comment was a bit harsh.
What I am saying is that Vincent Bach was a genius. So were the Wright Brothers. Vincent made outstanding mouthpieces for his time, using the technology of his day.
If Vincent were alive today perhaps he would be designing new mouthpieces using today's technology. Who knows what the Wright Bros would be up to?
Robert Keith
raptor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a Monette mouthpiece for years and just recently purchased a Wild Thing. Immediately I noticed that the Monette didn't match well with the new horn. I needed some resistance from somewhere and the mouthpiece wasn't providing it. It had a huge bore. I contacted Bruce Lee and he offered that the combination was working against me instead of with me. He sent me a GR mouthpiece to try and it has been amazing. Granted the rim isn't quite as comfortable as my Monette but now I can get all I can out of the Wild Thing. I also haven't noticed any problems in going back and forth between the two. I still use my Monette on my Kanstul 1500B. That is as perfect a match as I've ever found. If you haven't tried a GR I strongly recommend them.
David Oulton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce:

Which GR mouthpiece did you end up with? (Just curious)

David
raptor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up with the E65S. It's as close to the Monette MF2 rim that we could come up with. I didn't want to vary too much in rim size. The cup depth is a little shallower than the Monette but not that much. The big difference is the length and the size of the bore. I noticed that the GR has a bit more grip to the rim too.
rich
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently play a Schilke 14B... I wonder what GR Bruce would pick to best match the Schilke.

Is the 14B the best mouthpiece for me??
Not a clue as it is about the only one I've played other than a Bach 2C since I began playing after a 17 year layoff. The 14B feels fine.... but maybe there are better choices.

Guess I'll try to find "one" GR that comes close to the Schilke and see how it feels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: