• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What is the 'teardrop' of the lips?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christian1483

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 9:32 pm    Post subject: What is the 'teardrop' of the lips? Reply with quote

I've been reading around the forums and have seen people mention the teardrop of their lips, but I don't really understand what that means. Can anyone give me some insight? On another note that might or might not be related, on the underside of my top lip, there are these two little drops close towards the middle; they are both equidistant from the center of my upper lip. Is that what the teardrop is referring to, or is it something else? Unfortunately at my time of posting this I do not have the ability to take a picture of my lips to show what I mean, but in a bit I should be able to take some.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to some pictures from another recent thread about "the teardrop":

https://imgur.com/a/usb09tq

The teardrop is circled in blue in the second picture.

The thread this is from is:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=164553

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For nomenclature, here's a picture: the bump is called a tubercule, apparently.

https://i0.wp.com/pocketdentistry.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/10-1055-b-006-161159_c014_f001.jpg?w=960
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian1483 wrote:
I've been reading around the forums and have seen people mention the teardrop of their lips, but I don't really understand what that means. Can anyone give me some insight?

Now, I'm not being sarcastic Christian, I don't know you and I'm just trying to give you "a fishing pole and not just the fish", but do you know how to "Search" information on the net? I'll be glad to show you if you don't.

i.e. https://www.bing.com/search?q=lip+teardrop&form=ANNTH1&refig=d4fb7adab1b345d8b174852b03fc7240&pc=U531

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Selmer K-Modified Light Trumpet (for sale)
Benge 3X Cornet
Christian1483

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kehaulani"]
Christian1483 wrote:
I've been reading around the forums and have seen people mention the teardrop of their lips, but I don't really understand what that means. Can anyone give me some insight?

Now, I'm not being sarcastic Christian, I don't know you and I'm just trying to give you "a fishing pole and not just the fish", but do you know how to "Search" information on the net? I'll be glad to show you if you don't."

Ok thank you for the link, when I originally looked it up it wasn't helpful. The reason I was confused is because I actually have two teardrops so maybe that's where some of my embouchure troubles come from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: