• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pistons - monel vs stainless steel & CarolBrass vs Yamah

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MultiBrass

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 6:19 pm    Post subject: Pistons - monel vs stainless steel & CarolBrass vs Yamah Reply with quote

Hi i see expensive end horns like carolbrass balanced that have stainless steel pistons, and others which have monel.

Im novice, so could you guys n gals tell me the difference and which is best please. What should I look for?

PS
CarolBrass CTR-8060H-GLS Balanced Trumpet OR Yamaha ytr-5335. Which would you choose as an adult learner and why??

Thanks in advance xx
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Im novice, so could you guys n gals tell me the difference and which is best please. What should I look for?

Stainless steel vs. Monel vs. nickel-plated is a popular topic on TH. For my money, Getzen's nickel-plated valves are "best," but any of those three from a reputable manufacturer should get you many decades of reliable performance. The key thing is to keep your horn clean and oil your valves regularly with a quality valve oil.

Quote:
CarolBrass CTR-8060H-GLS Balanced Trumpet OR Yamaha ytr-5335. Which would you choose as an adult learner and why??

I'd lean toward the Yamaha 5335, which is a more "standard" set up, but either should be fine to get you started from a playability perspective.

There are, perhaps, a few other things to consider. beyond playability. First, your local repair shop undoubtedly has easy access to Yamaha parts. Do they have access to CarolBrass parts? Second, to the extent that resale is a consideration, I'd suggest that a Yamaha instrument will generally hold its value better than a CarolBrass instrument.
CaptPat

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe that for a modern horn, the valve piston material is a big differentiator. Keep them clean and oiled and each will last a long time. WRT which horn I'd go with the Yamaha primarily because it will be easier to re-sell if you decide to. You should also consider a used professional-level horn, many say that the improvements found in intermediate horns are not on par with the price increase, advising players seeking to upgrade from a student horn to straight to a professional model. Plus a pro horn will be easier to re-sell than an intermediate horn.
I play trumpet because I like it, not because I'm good at it.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptPat wrote:
I don't believe that for a modern horn, the valve piston material is a big differentiator. Keep them clean and oiled and each will last a long time. WRT which horn I'd go with the Yamaha primarily because it will be easier to re-sell if you decide to. You should also consider a used professional-level horn, many say that the improvements found in intermediate horns are not on par with the price increase, advising players seeking to upgrade from a student horn to straight to a professional model. Plus a pro horn will be easier to re-sell than an intermediate horn.

+1 (Anyone who uses Curly Howard as an avatar should be trusted implicitly.)

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the balanced model wouldn't be my first choice from CarolBrass, it's a very solid instrument and certainly professional level. Definitely a better playing horn than the Yamaha 5335 (just a fancied up student model).

Now, for a beginner or intermediate player it won't matter too much going with one versus the other. Yamaha parts are will be more available, but if you take care of your instrument, you won't likely need parts. The CarolBrass valves will definitely be of a higher quality and tolerances than the Chinese-made Yamaha valve block.

Resale on CarolBrass is lower than Bach, Yamaha, Schilke, etc. but it's certainly no worse than an intermediate Yamaha.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what Eric Sperry wrote.

My collection is mostly CarolBrass, and I consider my CCR-7772R-YSS(D)-Bb-L the finest instrument in my collection, better than my Schilke X4B even.
https://www.carolbrass.com/show_products.aspx?getId=39AFD2FD7E73A15B&getId1=B6D484A736370E4F&getId2=81E59A619D3E3307&getId3=B5F4A698F5436B4E&getId4=453336F6313843FC

Generally, I think CarolBrass makes better Bb Cornets and C trumpets than Bb trumpets.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid advice from the posters above, go with Yamaha, generally very good instruments.
Balanced action trumpets (Olds Recording, CarolBrass, etc.) are an acquired taste - your arm, hand position is different and for some people it really doesn't work well.
https://yourbrass.com/
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d never by a horn based on what the valves are made of.

I’d imagine Bach and Yamaha could use nickel, but, don’t for a reason.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: