• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best Single Trumpet Backpack Style Case?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmac3317
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 7:05 am    Post subject: Best Single Trumpet Backpack Style Case? Reply with quote

I've got a Torpedo Classic, which is obviously a great case, but my pinky hook keeps catching on the lining when I take it out and this has caused a hole in the lining. I'm working on getting that repaired (and I'd prefer not to mess with the hook on my horn), but my first valve slide also often falls out in that case, which is mildly annoying and once put me in a tight spot after having transferred my horn to a different case without noticing it had fallen out.

So, basically, I'm wondering what any of you consider to be great backpack-style single trumpet cases that aren't Torpedo bags. Ideally, I'd like it to be pretty protective and not just a gig bag. I'm intrigued by the Protec Max case but wonder if that would be too soft.

Anyways, I'd appreciate any thoughts/suggestions, thanks!

www.christianmcivormusic.com
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn’t find whether the MAX has a hard shell, so I presume it doesn’t? If not, I suppose it depends on how rigid the foam insert is.

Have you considered the Protec Contoured trumpet case? It looks fairly similar except that does have a hard shell (I use one myself and I l’m pretty happy with it). It doesn’t have a side pocket like the Max but you can wear it with a backpack if you carry it using the shoulder band diagonally across the chest.

Of course, it’s not as protective as a Torpedo but that’s pretty much a given for any case…
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps an anti-tarnish bag would be an option. I believe people sell them online but I made mine with anti-tarnish cloth from Joann fabrics. It is basically just a pouch/bag that has a drawstring to close it.

The bag would prevent the hook from catching and the slide being left behind.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Torpedo is basically the size of a double case. So, the Yamaha Artist faux leather double case that comes with the Yamaha Artist horns. You can orient your horn so the first valve doesn't fall out, and you have a slot for snacks. Most cool kids are using the Gard Double, which is soft, but for some reason very popular. I don't think I've seen a single case in years as life is too short to not have snacks.
Tivolian

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fusion Urban Trumpet "bag" is great. Light, protective, comfortable to wear, and has a decent amount of space for music, mutes, etc. Worth checking out, I think.
bixtone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the new Bags of Spain EV-3 single hard shell case and it is fantastic. Smaller than the Torpedo with room for a couple of mutes plus other stuff. Mine came with backpack straps though it is so small I just use a shoulder strap.
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://nichetrumpet.com/store/gl-cases-glk-tru-polycarbonate-trumpet-case

This case looks great
cmac3317
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! Yes, I prefer a case with a little extra room for snacks, haha. I also would prefer the extra room to be essentially sealed off from the horn itself, so it doesn't bounce around and hit the horn. I'm also thinking about this one:

https://www.thomannmusic.com/thomann_compofibre_double_trumpet.htm?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwl4yyBhAgEiwADSEjePyn3u_s6cGO0esiI8fyXnwCgzLrRmTeN80LVCwK_SZRR3TX4Xv_whoCy5QQAvD_BwE

www.christianmcivormusic.com
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am selling this one right now
https://musik-gillhaus.de/Compact-Double-Trumpet-Case-Schagerl/17843

It’s a double case but I did use it for one trumpet (piston or rotary) plus „the stuff“ (mutes, oils, cap, …). Also has a pouch for two mouthpieces and a large pocket for music on the outside. Really nice case but I prefer my Fusion Urban Triple and basically never used this one. Fits bell sizes up to 140 mm.

It’s not practical to ship mine to the US but if you can find one locally, they are worth checking out.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, (Frate or Curry)
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter seems to like her Protec Max contoured case well enough. I confess that I've not used it as all and can't provide my own experience.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: