• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

how can we help players who have no access to a pivot system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hairy james

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said in my previous post this is something that needs to be addressed. We have a whole forum here thats dedicated to the teachings of Dr. Donald S. Reinhardt. And a lot of times we can't answer a question fully and directly because the person asking is not really going to know exactly what we are talking about. Please believe me when I say that I'm not out to insult anyone's intelligence here, or that I want this to be an exclusive "Reinhardt students only club" I just don't want to see people getting screwed up by mis-typing themselves or doing routines that could hurt their chops if done incorrectly. When you had a lesson with Doc he spent hours going over things with you and was constantly pushing you to ask questions to make sure you understood what was going on. I do have one suggestion for this new topic; Call Dave Sheetz at (609) 652-9046 and get Doc's Encyclopedia and READ IT, then you will at least know the basics of the Pivot System and have a foundation on which we can all build. Any more Idea's? Please let me know. Chris
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris;
I am available for clinics anytime. Anyone that is interested please contact me off the list.
Several of Doc's former students have artist/clinicianships with instrument companies, which helps with the cost of travel, etc.
That is a possible solution.
WEG
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thoughts off the top of my head:

1. Continue to spread the word about Reinhardt's teachings and how it can help brass performance and pedagogy.
2. Expand the "Reinhardt Reunion" to be more inclusive.

I'm not certain how inclusive you all are about the reunion being planned already, but just the language itself - "Reinhardt Reunion" seems to imply that it is for former Reinhardt students only. Even if that's not the case, it would be nice if a new term could be used, such as "Reinhardt Festival" or some such thing. Encourage people who've never had any exposure to Reinhardt's teachings to attend.

3. Train "second generation" Reinhardt students like myself (people who've studied from former Reinhardt students and picked up the teachings second hand) in how to pass on the knowledge and *teach* this stuff.

Having my own chops diagnosed and tweaked was great for my own playing, but as we know, each embouchure is a little unique and what worked for me isn't going to necessarily work for my students. I currently have three students working through embouchure adjustments right now, one of them through a complete switch of types. I am always challenged as a teacher on how to best help these students. Sometimes everything falls into place and I feel like the greatest teacher in the world, other times I feel like I've got no idea what I'm talking about.

4. Reprint some of Reinhardt's other books, if possible. Write some new ones based on his teaching. Write some articles.

As an aside, I have the means and will to do this, but not all the necessary knowledge. I am currently in the process of editing an interview with Doug Elliott which covers much of this, but would love to go over more with others. If you're a former Reinhardt student interested in colaborating on an article or book, particularly from a pedagogical point of view, but also from the performance angle, contact me!

5. Get more clinics and workshops in more areas of the country. I'd love to swing out east to hang out with all of you, but my current teaching schedule at remote location (rural southern Colorado) prevent me from doing so. Stuff during the summer months would be great for me, as well as stuff out in my neck of the woods.

There are a few more ideas I can think of, but I've got to get ready for a rehearsal. The jazz ensemble I direct has our dress rehearsal for our first performance tomorrow night.

Thanks!

Dave
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David;
You have some great ideas.
I believe the Reinhardt Foundation is trying to get some of his books back in print.
Please feel free to contact me off list for any assistance with articles about Doc.
WEG
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-26 15:42, Wilktone wrote:
Some thoughts off the top of my head:

1. Continue to spread the word about Reinhardt's teachings and how it can help brass performance and pedagogy.
  2. Expand the "Reinhardt Reunion" to be more inclusive.
  3. Train "second generation" Reinhardt students like myself (people who've studied from former Reinhardt students and picked up the teachings second hand) in how to pass on the knowledge and *teach* this stuff.
  4. Reprint some of Reinhardt's other books, if possible. Write some new ones based on his teaching. Write some articles.
  5. Get more clinics and workshops in more areas of the country. I'd love to swing out east to hang out with all of you, but my current teaching schedule at remote location (rural southern Colorado) prevent me from doing so. Stuff during the summer months would be great for me, as well as stuff out in my neck of the woods.

There are a few more ideas I can think of, but I've got to get ready for a rehearsal. The jazz ensemble I direct has our dress rehearsal for our first performance tomorrow night.

Thanks!

Dave

Dave, your ideas are all excellent, and I'm hoping that you'll soon post the "few more" you can think of.

We're doing our small part here on the Trumpet Herald forum to help with point #1 you make.

And the last part of #4, as far as articles are concerned, if you go to http://www.mindspring.com/~scream/pivot/ and click on Articles, you'll see that Dave Sheetz has already begun doing just that. And, with the passage of time, more will be written (and are being written) right here in the Trumpet Herald forum that can be beneficial to students of the trumpet who are interested in the teachings of Doc Reinhardt.

A couple years ago I applied for a position at Adams, and have the letter of rejection to prove it. I could be out there with you right now furthering the advancement of the Reinhardt cause. Of course, Doc didn't want to be affiliated with any school, and I now agree with his decision to remain independent. But wouldn't it be great if more schools had teachers who taught according to the teachings of Doc Reinhardt?

Reggie Watkins, the trombonist on Maynard's band when I was in it, studied from a cat in West Virginia who was steeped in the Pivot System, and Reggie was an unbelievably strong player . . . there's another testimonial to how effective "second generation" Reinhardt teachers can be. I know that I'm doing everything I can think of to further Doc's influence on the brass community, but between the thick skulls of many brass players and the preponderance of other, seemingly less complicated methods of teaching, it's an uphill trudge.

Anybody know about possible copyright infringement connected with printing out-of-print texts? I do happen to have a significant background in printing and publishing, and could make it happen if we got a green light . . . for instance, Doc's book for beginners, or the Pivot System Manual . . . ? Anybody?

Rich

828-665-3864 / Fax 503 214 7155
Hear my recordings free: www.mp3.com/RichWilley

[ This Message was edited by: BeboppinFool on 2002-09-29 13:32 ]
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, regarding printing out-of-print books, post to TPIN. I had saved a very nice, if long, email from a lawyer/player on TPIN discussing that very issue. Unfortunately, it was lost oin The Great Computer Crash of 2001...

Bottom line: if the copyright has not expired, it is NOT legal to print more without the permission of the copyright holder. Whether it's out of print or not. This caused some consternation, but a check with the gov't office (patents, trademarks, and copyrights or some such) confirmed this tidbit. Makes little sense if it's out of print, but it's up to the copyright owner to decide if they want to publish it or not irrespective of whether people want it. The holder, and publisher, decide if it's worth while or not. In fact, there have been many cases where something is intentionally let go out of print, or only a few are made ("limited" editions) in order to run up the price and increase their value to collectors. There was a bunch of other interesting info that (for me) highlighted the differnce that often seems to exist between the legal world and the rational world. (Heinlein: "Man is not a rational animal; he is a rationalizing one." That'd be me! )

If you can confirm who holds copyright, you may be able to get permission to reprint if it's not worth it to them. Likely you will have to pay some sort of royalty or such, but that's probably not a big impediment. I was able to get permission to reprint a song from a publisher who had let it go, but it took several weeks to find the right person and get the official OK in writing. The publisher had a standard fee for granting license in such cases (It was something like $10 to make one for me, and $30 to publish a run of less than 300, I think. For the latter, there was also a per-book charge that was 5 or 6 percent of the selling price; no such charge to make a copy for myself.)

In this case, talking with a copyright person is a good idea, and in parallel you could start the legwork to find out whom holds the copyright and/or licencees... Perhaps Dave Sheetz has already done some or all of this?

HTH - Don
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, everyone.

Quote:
We're doing our small part here on the Trumpet Herald forum to help with point #1 you make.

Absolutely! I'm so glad that the Trumpet Herald has agreed to set up this section, and that there are some Reinhardt students around to help answer my questions. Both Bill and Chris have contacted me with advice on how to help my trumpet student going through his type change, and he is showing good progress, in a large part due to their suggestions.

Quote:
A couple years ago I applied for a position at Adams, and have the letter of rejection to prove it. I could be out there with you right now furthering the advancement of the Reinhardt cause.

Trouble is, there is only one brass/jazz job here (although I really think we need two!), and it would have either been you or me. I hope your seach for a college teaching position is going well. Drop me an e-mail sometime and let me know how it's going.

Quote:
But wouldn't it be great if more schools had teachers who taught according to the teachings of Doc Reinhardt?

From my vantage point I'm seeing more brass teachers taking the Pivot System seriously. In addition to my dissertation, David Turnbull published his dissertation in 2001, "An analysis, clarification, and revaluation of Donald Reinhardt's pivot system for brass intruments." I borrowed it through interlibrary loan last summer. It has some very good photographs of the embouchure types and some good descriptions of a lot of the Pivot System. With at least two dissertations covering Reinhardt's teachings hopefully more of academia will start to learn its value. It's been too controversial up to this point, largely because it's so often misunderstood.

I have read David Sheetz's articles, and am looking forward to more. If you're out there David, please keep up the good work!

The one thing I would really like to see addressed, which I think will help more of us teachers to utilize the pivot system, is some articles or a book written on how to teach it, especially how to diagnose and treat embouchure difficulties.

Both Doug Elliott and Chris LaBarbara have mentioned how the embouchure types can be simplified (Doug, for example, groups all upstream types into a "Very Low Placement" type. Chris mentioned to me that the type II embouchures are essentially type IV embouchures but does consider the types IV and IVa to be different enough to warrent their own types). If the embouchure types can be described in simpler terms they would be less likely to be confused by people with incomplete knowledge. The difficulty in this is how to come to a consensous. Who's simplifications would we use? What about people who don't agree? How would Reinhardt himself fell about this?

The two issues I have the most trouble with as a teacher are how to tell a person's correct type when I'm fairly certain a person isn't playing on an efficient embouchure and how best to speed along a student's embouchure adjustment when you've made a decision to switch types (assuming that this is a correct switch). This is the article (book?) that I would like to help write. Bill, I'll be contacting you to see if you're interested in helping here. Any others interested?

Dave
--
David Wilken
dave@trombone.org
http://faculty.adams.edu/~dmwilken

[ This Message was edited by: Wilktone on 2002-09-30 00:35 ]
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I just want address the Reinhardt Reunion. When we initially talked about it (Dave Sheetz and I), it was going to be just that, a reunion. It has obviously become more than that at this point, and the name of the event could be putting other people off as far as attendance is concerned. One of the things we will address is a more appropriate name that will invite others to come and learn about this incredible system. This forum alone, thanks to Rich and Trumpet Herald, has done so much to further the cause of what we are trying to do.

I can't explain how important this has been for me personally as a trumpet player/ musician, to connect with people of like minds. It's a validation of what I've been working on with myself and my students. And so far, through this forum, I've met or spoken with some pretty great musicians (Rich and Chris) who are more than willing to help out other people. And that's the spirit we are realizing here. I hope that I will eventually meet more of Doc's success stories in the future.

In addition, I honestly don't know if Dave Sheetz is checking this out...but rest assured I'll be talking to him about it.

"Wherever you go....there you are."
Buckaroo Bonzai

[ This Message was edited by: scream on 2002-10-01 17:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: scream on 2002-10-01 17:56 ]
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 2002-10-01 17:18, scream wrote:
Hi Everyone,

..... I hope that I will eventually meet more of Doc's success stories in the future.

Buckaroo Bonzai

how 'bout his projects??
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOST DEFINITELY!!!!!!!

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.
Hubert H. Humphrey
US politician (1911 - 1978)
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking (always dangerous) about the confusion over what a pivot actually is in the topic "Now What." Even if you have access to the "Encyclopedia," a lot of Reinhartd's concepts are difficult to understand by just reading text or the drawings that are in the book.

What we really need, more so that books and articles, are multimedia presentations of the Pivot System. Web sites, utilizing photos, video and sound could help. Video tapes are great (Bill, aren't you putting one together? Would it be possible for me to get a copy of that somehow? Doug Elliott put together a film called, "The Brass Player's Embouchure" that covers Reinhardt's types). Even better might be a CD ROM book, that includes text, lots of video footage, PDF files of Reinhardt's exercises with sound files of how they sound.

Again, I have the desire to help do this, and even access to the equipment (a college teaching job has it's perks!). What I don't have right now is all the necessary knowledge and time to do this (although I get some time off later in the sememster and summer which might be possible to get started on this). I would also need help getting a hold of photographs, videos, sound files, etc. of Reinhardt's exercises and examples of the types.

Does this sound feasible? I'm very serious about this project, but would need a lot of help getting all the materials. E-mail me, or maybe even post here if you think it could provoke some relevant discussion, if you're interested in helping.

Dave
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I'm talking to Dave Sheetz tonight. I'll mention it to him.......

Buckaroo Bonzai

[ This Message was edited by: scream on 2002-10-03 17:43 ]
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you need to film what not to do, give me a call.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: