• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What DSR routines do you do daily?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For many years I've stuck with a few drills that have always given me good results, but I confess that I may not always push myself quite as hard as I might possibly be able to.

For example, since I came back to trumpet, my daily regimen often starts with the Prologue of the 5 Cheek Puff Routines. I definitely do this on days following days that were not terribly brutal on my chops, adhering to the difference between Babying It In vs. Knocking It In. I strive to take the Cheek Routines up to the G, and most days the G's come out like gangbusters . . . other days I can get the E's but the G seems a million miles away.

Almost every day since I've been back on trumpet I've done the Pivot Stabilizer (I'm able to do the entire thing these days . . . for the last month or so the G's have almost always been there) followed by the Track Routine (always as far as the quintuplets starting on 2-leger-line C, sometimes as far as the sextuplets starting on E, and for the last couple weeks sometimes starting on the G with varying degrees of success).

I'd say that 80-90% of my days include Embouchure Compression Drill III, which on trumpet I'm still only going up to G's, but until I talked with Chris LaBarbera over the phone, I was doing 8 repetitions of each line. I've recently started doing less repetitions (even though Chris said 3, I'm doing 5) and have started attempting the High A Routine when all the G's have been responsive.

In the last several months I've been doing the Interval Studies and occasionally do some of the 10 Test Drills (the Chromatic Range Extension drill, Augmented Fourths and Tetrachord Plus One page).

Of all the drills that helped me the most, I'm surprised that I don't do the Form Studies (all 12 articulations) more often. I used to only get to that once in awhile at the end of the 10 Test Drills, and all the E's came out, which I found amazing considering my "newness" back on trumpet.

I rarely use the Spiderweb Legato Tongue Warmup, and occasionally use Warmup #57. Back in my bass trumpet days, I think I did the entire Warmup #57 every day for years, and had fantastic results . . . it is not my first choice these days on trumpet, and I usually only do it when I have limited time to practice, or if I want to get in just a little practice earlier in the day before playing a gig or grueling rehearsal that night. (Ever noticed how rehearsals are often more brutalizing than gigs?)

There are so many of the DSR drills that I have in my notebook that I do occasionally, but the ones I've mentioned above are the ones that seem to help me continue to improve . . . slowly but surely. I'm not in such a big hurry as I used to be after all those years as an "injured musician" from overdoing it on the trumpet in my wild and crazy (read "stupid") youthful exuberance. I'd rather get better slower and avoid those tremendous setbacks from overdoing it these days.

What about the rest of you? What DSR drills do you continue to use daily?

Rich

828-665-3864 / Fax 503 214 7155
Hear my recordings free: www.mp3.com/RichWilley

[ This Message was edited by: BeboppinFool on 2002-09-25 22:59 ]
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can one obtain copies or complete descriptions (with advice on *how* to use these exercises, of course)? Some exercises discussed here I recognize from the "Encyclopedia...," but others are unfamiliar to me.

Thanks!
Dave
hairy james

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc had dozens and dozens of drills and routines to correct practically any problem a player might be having. What kind of saddens me is that I see guys like David and Frank on here who are genuinely interested in finding out about these routines and learning more about the pivot system, but as I've said before without a personal consultation from someone who really knows the "in's and out's" of the pivot system some of these routines can do more harm than good. As a matter of fact I think I'm going to start a new topic " How can we help players who have no access to a pivot system teacher" I think that this is something that that we Reinhardt guys should "kick around." After all, If we really want to keep Doc's work alive we need to share it with as many players as possible. Chris

[ This Message was edited by: hairy james on 2002-09-26 01:53 ]
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harry,

i'm going to see rich this weekend. but lately he's been eating worms, so i'm not sure how this is going to go .

i wish it was a little closer though. this trip will probably be about 2 1/2 hours one way. but after listening to rich play at the clinic, that fat sound he has sounds worth it.
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich;
I'll be discussing this on the video for the 2002 Reinhardt convention that I am preparing.
I start every day with the cheek routines and have been doing these for the last 20 years.
My daily "routine" consists of Doc drills primarily compression drills.
Just started back on the "Elasticity Routine" (THANK YOU DAVE SHEETZ)
How many times have we all forgotten about various drills and then re-discover them at a later date? Then we realize that those "new" drills still work.
Some of the Doc drills I assign my private studentsare the F Spiderweb, the trio of daily calisthenics, track routine, stabilizer,flips and Concone.
I wish the Manual was still in print.
WEG
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

bgibson wrote:
Just started back on the "Elasticity Routine" (THANK YOU DAVE SHEETZ)
How many times have we all forgotten about various drills and then re-discover them at a later date? Then we realize that those "new" drills still work.

Boy, ain't that the truth, Bill? You reminded me that I had started back on the Elasticity Routine for a couple weeks, also thanks to Dave Sheetz, and haven't followed through. Gotta get back to it.

I'm bummed to find out that Dave only sells the routines (Doc's handouts) to Reinhardt teachers . . . and Dave has the names of all of Doc's students. [Wow, that must be an awesome list to see . . . and so many of those guys have been known to not give Doc credit in interviews, etc., because they apparently think it would be a sign of weakness that they ever had to go see Doc to fix up their "self-made-man" chops.]

As Frank (spanky) indicated, he's coming up here on Saturday, and I'm gonna see if we can figure out his type and diagram his pivot and get him on his way. Since this forum has begun, my interest in studying the Encyclopedia has been renewed, and I've been learning (mostly relearning) many things. Thanks to Todd, and to all of our Donald S. Reinhardt forum contributors, particularly those long-time Reinhardt students who know the material.

Rich
walter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked a friend to store much of my sheet music for me many, many years ago. It's been so long that I don't remember if it was in the 70s or 80s. All of my Reinhardt materials were included in this pile.

Guess what? I got back only a fraction of what was stored ... and none of what I got back included Doc's stuff. So the only connection that I had with Doc's materials was what was still stuck inside of my head.

I read the names of the various routines here on the Forum, and although many of the names are familiar, the particulars of how they were done have disappeared from my aging brain.

The one routine that has remained with me, mentally if not in practice, is the Spiderweb. I have found myself wandering away from it, only to come back to it. Sometimes this absence has gone on for many years; afterall, my life has had many twists and turns, many not involving the trumpet. However, I've learned that I really can't stay away from the trumpet for long without feeling that I'm ignoring my soul: my very essence.

Following 9/11, I went into one of my periodic, chronic depressions, in which my trumpet playing suffered. Fortunately, as I was getting back into being serious about the trumpet, the Reinhardt Forum started up. Old, long-forgotten ideas that I remember from my Doc days have resurfaced.

The Spiderweb is like a meditation for me. I've modified it from what I originally learned from Doc. Most of these modifications that I've made came from my study of exercise physiology. I went to Chiropractic school back in the 70s, learning much anatomy & physiology; then worked with a number of athletes, learning some concepts of exercise physiology that weren't available to Reinhardt. Although I don't claim to have anything close to Reinhardt's knowledge and understanding about brass playing physiology, I hope that I can stand on Reinhardt's shoulders, and someday contribute to his work.

In reading this thread, I was disappointed to read that many of the materials that Doc gave to his students may be kept private, except to "official" Pivot System teachers. I personally believe that Doc's teachings and memory will best be served by open access to what he learned and taught. Documenting his teachings, especially now, when many of his students are still alive, will be important in maintaining not only Doc's legacy, but seeing just how valuable his contributions are.

Restricting access to Doc's materials will result in a false orthodoxy: what Doc really taught &/or meant. I briefly alluded to this type of thing happening when I responded to one of John Mohan's threads on Herbert L. Clarke's tonguing. In particular, I brought up what happened historically in the creation and development of the Bible. This book, which is a bizarre compilation of some of the oldest texts within Western Culture, has suffered from well-meant manipulations. Many of these manipulations are well documented and well known to serious & honest scholars. Still, we have 21st century religious "experts" who are sometimes ignorant of, &/or sometimes blatantly and arrogantly manipulative of the development of some of the most influential materials to have affected our culture.

Am I overstating my case? Well, nothing that Reinhardt discovered, then passed on to his students, will ever be raised to the level of religious ideas. In fact, if all that Doc ever passed on were completely lost, I think that it would eventually be rediscovered. This happens constantly in science. It just means that Doc wouldn't get the credit [thanks to his "loyal" followers], and many players who would benefit from Doc's work would remain ignorant. There is ample precedent in religion and science.

Let's hope that this Forum lives up to its potential to pass on great ideas.

walter
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can some of you Reinhardt student's post some more descriptions and instructions on these exercises? I was talking with Chris (AKA Hairy James) yesterday and discovered that what I thought was the Pinwheel Routine wasn't quite right. What's this Spiderweb Routine?

Some of these exercises remind me of a kung fu B-movie (I'll counter your Pinwheel with my Spider style!).

Dave
hairy james

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Call me and I'll explain any exercizes you need. I don't have to tell you how long it would take for me to type them all here, right?. Hows Mr. Tripple 'G' coming along?
You know it cool to call me late if you're up, just ask Rich.

Chris

[ This Message was edited by: hairy james on 2002-10-18 16:06 ]
bulos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the stabilizer and track routine daily but nothing seems to bring me around as well or quickly as Doc's pedal routines!
hairy james

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey paul,

Thats pretty f***in' funny.

See you on the Claude Gordon forum.

Chris
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-18 19:08, bulos wrote:
I do the stabilizer and track routine daily but nothing seems to bring me around as well or quickly as Doc's pedal routines!

Ladies and gentlemen,

It would appear that we have a troublemaker in our midst. I was tempted to delete this post, but I decided that such a course of action would allow this individual to feel that he has gotten away with something really cute.

So, instead, in big bold letters, I'm going to state that this is an immature and ignorant thing to post on the Doc Reinhardt Forum. If you want to play pedal tones, and if you want to advocate pedal tones, and if you want to preach pedal tones, this is the wrong place to do it. Paul Ayick knows this, and is trying to start trouble, and will probably cause this topic to end up in the Reveille forum. How smart do you feel about that, Paul?

If you want to get your jollies by posting immature things, I hope you bless some of the other forums with your useless drivel because you will not be welcome or acknowledged here.

Rich
hairy james

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know Paul it just occured to me, those are not Reinhardt pedal exercises that your practicing, you're reading the track routine upside down.

Or are you just trying to piss us off and get yourself banished to the newly created "Stevens/Costello" Forum?

Hey, we might even make you the moderator.

Chris
bulos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich
I was not trying to start trouble merely decrease the tension around here with a little levity. If you couldn't see the humour in that post I actually feel for you, nevertheless, I thought a forum was a place to exchange ideas in healthy discourse but you my friend have turned this particular forum into a police state........plus you went out of your way to be insulting towards me when you thought I broke your precious little rules (actually I didn't see it that way when I sent that orignal post concerning MF Fans problem) and I said nothing so I guess this is where you and I part ways...............
Paul
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-19 14:03, bulos wrote:
Rich
I was not trying to start trouble merely decrease the tension around here with a little levity. If you couldn't see the humour in that post I actually feel for you, nevertheless, I thought a forum was a place to exchange ideas in healthy discourse but you my friend have turned this particular forum into a police state........plus you went out of your way to be insulting towards me when you thought I broke your precious little rules (actually I didn't see it that way when I sent that orignal post concerning MF Fans problem) and I said nothing so I guess this is where you and I part ways...............
Paul

The only "tension around here" comes from guys who insist on posting non-Reinhardt stuff. There was no humor in that post, Paul, only disrespect for the late Dr. Donald S. Reinhardt. If that's your idea of humor, then I feel for you.

Some forums might be for the purpose of exchanging ideas in healthy discourse, but this one is to "Find out about the teachings of 'Doc' Reinhardt," as it says when you go to enter this forum.

If you think this is a police state, then you really missed out by not studying with Doc himself. If you had made comments he didn't approve of in his office, he would have shouted at you and pounded his fist on his desk and might even have thrown you out of his office.

I went out of my way to be insulting to you? Maybe, big guy . . . but you set the pace by saying something insulting to the legacy of Dr. Donald S. Reinhardt.

And my "precious little rules" as you see them are simply my solution to avoiding misinformation to be posted on this site where people think they're going to come and find Reinhardt-inspired and/or approved information. You post something promoting things contrary to what the Pivot System teaches and I delete them. That's my only "rule" on this forum, and other dedicated Reinhardt students are backing me up on that.

Who's backing you up on this, Paul? Oh, I forgot, we parted ways, so I guess I'm writing this to nobody. What a shame; I sure would have liked for you to see it. Oh, well.

What's the saying in the Bible about "don't cast pearls before swine?"

Rich
bulos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Who's backing you up on this, Paul?"

Rich I don't need anyones "backing" I know when someone is venting in my direction and frankly you should be ashamed of yourself, your behaviour was reprehensible and you acted like a jerk towards me. Enjoy your "forum" and sayonara.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
hairy james

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rich,

Thank you for standing up for Doc.

Sayonara,

Chris

[ This Message was edited by: hairy james on 2002-10-20 03:38 ]
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my own playing and teaching (trombone) I've been a big advocate of Buddy Baker's "Tenor Trombone Method" for routine work. In case you're not familiar with this book (this being a trumpet forum), I'll describe it briefly.

I like this book for its completeness and for its easy modifcation to fit a particular student or circumstance. It basically offers a suggestion for practicing that includes, in this order:

1. Long tones
2. Legato scales and chord arpeggios over the entire range
3. Flexibility studies
4. Stacatto scales and chord arpeggios over the entire range
5. Multiple tonguing
6. Warm down

The method is designed so that the trombonist can cover most of the technical issues that arise over practice sessions of various time lengths. It is also designed so that certain scales and exercises are played over the long term, rather than try to hit everything in just one day.

Did Dr. Reinhardt have a similar routine he suggested to his students? How did he advocate warming up and attacking these various technical issues? I imagine that his suggestions were very personalized, but was there a basic routine that he modified for each student? If so, what did in entail? Was there a particular order to this routine?

If he didn't have a set routine could one be developed that wouldn't go against the principles of the Pivot System?

Dave
PhattyRoses

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since it's been a little quite around here lately, I thought I would bring this topic back to the top and let you all know what I've been doing lately. I'm taking fairly regular lessons with Dave Sheetz and this is what he's having me do:
Daily trio of Calisthenics

Warm-up #57 until I feel warmed up

Pivot stabilizer (open horn only) all 8va

Track routine (open horn only) I'm usually able to get through to the high
F start (I'm a trombone player) and, when I do, I try to add the Bb above that.

Four caterogies of buzzing drill (I think this is what it's called...I'll have to check my sheet later to be certain). Basically, it's where you buzz into each note of a Bb concert major triad up and down and when you get the mouthpiece on the horn you crescendo for four beats and then decrescendo to a whisper for four. Then later on you augement the same drill by playing it the way I just described, then by playing it by setting your embouchure firmly before placing (you breathe first) and then place the mouthpiece and play the drill...after a few more days you play it the same way but place the firm embouchure to the mouthpiece bu this time breathe through your nose and play the drill...after a few more days you play the drill three times through each time with the above mentioned approaches but then play it again but this time with normal mouthcorner inhalations. This has been a really great drill for me to work on.

Elasticity routine (what a great exercise this is for getting the lip trill going!)

the Pivot manual (one section each day out of the trombone manual)

the form studies (I may soon change this to the advanced form studies drill that was recently posted)

the double and tripple tonguing drill that is outlined in the encyclopedia

the concone studies 8va ( I usually do a couple a day)

Every once in a while I'll do the compression buzzing routine, which is the one where you buzz into four concert Bb's, take a rest, and then move up chromatically in the same manner up to high Bb. This drill REALLY makes my chops feel strong the next day.

Let me say that I have been so impressed with all the things I've been learning. I find that if I focus on my mechanics in a thoughtful way (ie the way Reinhardt teaches), I can really get some things going when I move on to the music.
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhattyRoses wrote:
I find that if I focus on my mechanics in a thoughtful way (ie the way Reinhardt teaches), I can really get some things going when I move on to the music.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Some guys would have you only think music, and for us who have (or have had) physical playing problems, no amount of thinking only about music would have ever fixed our physical playing problems.

Can you have a smooth ride in a car that has mechanical problems by just thinking about a smooth ride? Some of the "trumpet voodoo" teachers would try to convince you that you can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: