• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach Shop Card Info Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFHorn13
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Bach Shop Card Info Help Reply with quote

Does anyone have a good way of contacting Bach for a copy of a shop card? I am curious about the lineage of my Bach Mercedes NY (S/N 9XXX). I believe it to have been produced in 1950. Please let me know the best way to approach this. Thanks!
1952 Martin Committee
1973 Holton ST200
1956 Conn Connstellation 38B
1990's Holton MF ST550
Late 1970's Holton ST304 MF Horn
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bach Shop Card Info Help Reply with quote

MFHorn13 wrote:
Does anyone have a good way of contacting Bach for a copy of a shop card? I am curious about the lineage of my Bach Mercedes NY (S/N 9XXX). I believe it to have been produced in 1950. Please let me know the best way to approach this. Thanks!
Check out the Bachology section on the Conn-Selmer bachbrass.com website for Roy Hempley's contact information. Most of the Mercedes models from that time period have lightweight construction, a medium .453 bore and a 38 bell and 7 leadpipe.
MFHorn13
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockford: Thanks, I will do that. The horn looks very "Strad-like" with a double main tuning slide brace (unlike other Mercedes models I've seen of comparable vintage), and indeed, I believe it's medium bore. A really nice playing horn, by the way Anyway, I've had it for awhile, and have always wanted to find out a bit more about it from the factory side. Should be interesting.
1952 Martin Committee
1973 Holton ST200
1956 Conn Connstellation 38B
1990's Holton MF ST550
Late 1970's Holton ST304 MF Horn
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just called bach and they sent me a shop card on a mercury i have 86xx. iwould say your horn is 1950. Go on the Bach web site and call the number . Margaret the secretary will answer and tell her serial number. They will send it right away. They get alot of these request.
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wounder if this is why I like the 7 pipe? My first trumpet was a completely refurbished like new Mercedes??? I know mine never let me down but I had no clue about it's bell or leadpipe. I just know it was too old and looked too flawless to have been that way naturally! I used to use a nameless deep V MP with a very flat but not cookie cutter style Bach like rim. I have to say that with a 7C it was a tad too bright and focused and with that nameless deep V MP it was about perfect! I never felt the need to get a better trumpet with that. I definitely never played a Bach Strad that made me want to trade my Bach Mercedes not too be confused with the Mercedes II for anything else. I did have mine worked on in Germany I took it to a shop that did mostly French horns and told them it was playing a bit tight to me. They removed the tuning slide brace and did something to the leadpipe but back then like most musicians I was not into what they did or how my trumpet worked I just liked what they did! I paid them and went on my way. What ever they did it made the horn blow easier and loosened it up a bet in terms of slotting so "Mr. Jazz" wana be me was really happy.

I notice that latter models did not have the brace on them. Wonderful trumpets too bad Bach does not make anything like it ie a cheaper affordable Bach Strad that really played. They have nothing like it the Omega is junk now the TR series is total junk.

My Dad bought my Mercedes which had no dents, no scratches and mirror bright valves outright as an E5 in the Army which. So the fact that it was bought used completely rebuilt to like knew and sold outright at a price that made renting a Bach Strad look silly says a lot about them!

I do not think any collects the Mercury or Mercedes from an investment stand point because they seem to go fairly cheaply when I see them online. Definitely under rated horn if in good shape they play great!
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called the Conn-Selmer customer service number about a year ago to get the shop card info on two 70's vintage Strads, and got nowhere. Does anybody have better contact info than what's on the web page? Maybe a number directly into the factory? And who is the Margaret of whom you speak?

Thanks,
John
interfx
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience newer horns from the 1970s they do not have as much information as they do for the mt Vernon, new York era trumpets...
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt.Kirk wrote:

I do not think any collects the Mercury or Mercedes from an investment stand point because they seem to go fairly cheaply when I see them online. Definitely under rated horn if in good shape they play great!
The Mercedes models from NY are definitely underrated. They're exactly the same as the Strads from that era from a player's standpoint. One finish, one bore and no bell or leadpipe options. Just a good all around trumpet. Bach only compromised on the cosmetics to keep the price down. They often are confused with the student model Mercedes trumpets that were produced in the 70's. That's why the prices are often so low.
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jengstrom wrote:
I called the Conn-Selmer customer service number about a year ago to get the shop card info on two 70's vintage Strads, and got nowhere. Does anybody have better contact info than what's on the web page? Maybe a number directly into the factory? And who is the Margaret of whom you speak?

Thanks,
John
I don't think Conn-Selmer provides that information anymore. Best bet is to contact Roy H. with your request. Click on the Bachology link to get his contact information and his policies regarding historical information.
KingSilverSonic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was about 2 years ago that I Googled Bach's phone number, called and asked to get a shop card. I was transferred to a lady who said she would send it to me by attachment. After giving her the serial # I got the shop card in 24-36 hours. Simple as that.

Lawler C7
Burbank Benge C
Calicchio 1s/2
King Symphony 20 DB and Silver Sonic Cornet
Lawler flugelhorn
Member: Bugles Across America
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: