• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen Signature Good affordable flugelhorn ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Getzen Signature Good affordable flugelhorn ? Reply with quote

Ran across this Getzen flugelhorn while looking for something else... Usual disclaimers... Not mine... I don't need a flugel... Just passing it along in case someone wants a decent flug that won't break the bank.

Getzen Signature flugel on ebay

Interested parties may want to ask for a picture of the valves before bidding....

Last edited by MikeyMike on Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: DEG Flugelhorn Reply with quote

The only thing Getzen about the DEG line of instruments is the owner's name [at that time] of the company, Donald E. Getzen. After leaving the Getzen Company in the early sixties, Don started DEG Musical Products. He became US distributor for Willson instruments and a few "Donald E. Getzen" Signature flugels were sold [made by Willson] prior to my involvement in the entire line-up of the new "Signature 2000" series of horns of which this flugelhorn was part of. My design utilized a lower tunable branch along with a normal tuning leadpipe and we used Bauerfeind valves on both the flugels and piccolos. Speaking of the piccolos, no less than William Vachiano asked Don if HE could endorse the piccolo after playing it at an ITG in England. I have that letter proudly displayed on my shop wall today. Not many of either the flugels or piccolos were made and most ended up in Europe. With minor revisions, the flugel is what my Scodwell USA flugelhorns are like today. I did change to Kanstul/Besson valves when the Euro made the Bauerfeind valves much too expensive. The bell was slightly reconfigured [narrower bend] to accomodate the ports on the new valves. My bell is off of a mandrel copied from the earlier Selmer that Clark Terry played on for many years that I payed Kanstul to make for me. I also adopted an inner/outer tuning branch configuration which gave some improvement to an already outstanding flugelhorn. I would not hesitate a second if one came up for sale, either three or four valve piccolo or the flugelhorn. Just remember, it's DEG and not the Getzen Company.
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns, available only at Washington Music Center, call Lee Walkowich at 301.946.8808
qcm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: DEG Flugelhorn Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
Speaking of the piccolos, no less than William Vachiano asked Don if HE could endorse the piccolo after playing it at an ITG in England. I have that letter proudly displayed on my shop wall today.

Tony,

When I was studying with Vachiano in the 70's I know he was endorsing Getzen, I even have a catalog from that era, but I never realized that he also loved the DEG picc.

Very cool that you still have his letter!

-Dave

Kanstuls, LA Benges and a Selmer picc.
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the response and the clarification. I edited the header and contents of my original post to eliminate/reduce some of the confusion.
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did Wilson also make the Signature 2000 to the Scodwell specifications?
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: DEG Signature instruments Reply with quote

No, Willson [it does have two l's] did not make the Signature trumpets or flugels. They did own Bauerfeind at that time but the horns were all made four miles down the road at Allied, which was owned by Don Getzen's brother Bob [father of current Getzen owner Tom, brother Eddie left a few years ago]. Allied was in the business of making horns and parts for others as well as a fine school for repairing band instruments. Allied made all the horns for DEG until a little lawsuit between brothers stopped the production. That was at the same time that the Getzen Company returned to the family and Allied became Allied Supply doing business today side by side with Getzen. A small, select group of skilled guys at Allied put the DEG Signature horns together and DEG marketed them. After the turmoil, DEG turned to Weril in Brazil to make their horns, mostly marching brass, and were USA distributors for the Weril instruments. Today at DEG [now owned by Mark Schaffer] the emphasis is on percussion instruments and they have their own factory making some really great stuff. Some horns are in the line-up but I'm not sure of the origin.
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns, available only at Washington Music Center, call Lee Walkowich at 301.946.8808
iriemanvenlo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: DEG Flugelhorn Reply with quote

Tony,
I own a Signature custom series 2000 trumpet (tuning bell) The trumpet is a large bore and just suberb. I recently got hold of a Signature custom series 2000 flugelhorn. I had great expectations of it and yes it plays as free and sweet as the trumpet, however the flugel is way out of tune, i cant get it right.....do you have any suggestions?

Looking forward to your reply

Marcel Salverda
The Netherlands
iriemanvenlo@gmail.com

Conn 80B -L
Getzen Eterna Doc Severinsen model
Signature custom
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: DEG Flugelhorn Reply with quote

iriemanvenlo wrote:
Tony,
I own a Signature custom series 2000 trumpet (tuning bell) The trumpet is a large bore and just suberb. I recently got hold of a Signature custom series 2000 flugelhorn. I had great expectations of it and yes it plays as free and sweet as the trumpet, however the flugel is way out of tune, i cant get it right.....do you have any suggestions?

Looking forward to your reply

Marcel Salverda
The Netherlands
iriemanvenlo@gmail.com

Wow. Just ran across this old thread looking for something else. Hope you got an answer by now but here's a bump in hopes you'll get a response. Could be the wrong shank on your mouthpiece. There are about three different ones for flugelhorn. Shanks I mean.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: DEG Signature 2000 Flugelhorn Reply with quote

I'm not sure [I think I PM'd him] but in case I didn't, the pitch problem he referred to with his newly acquired DEG Signature 2000 flugel most likely is from a well meaning repair person installing the incorrect pads on the valve stems. The Bauerfeind valves that we used were fitted with a rather thick cork stem pad [almost 1/8th" thick] and I have seen them replaced with a more conventional felt pad which is much too thin and really wacks out the intonation. I will say once again, the DEG Signature 2000 line of trumpets, flugels and piccolos are terrific horns to look for and always priced way too low as not many were made and are relatively unknown.
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns available only from Washington Music Center, call Lee Walkowich at 301.946.8808
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Getzen Signature Good affordable flugelhorn ? Reply with quote

MikeyMike wrote:
... Interested parties may want to ask for a picture of the valves before bidding....

Why?

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: