• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What if Bach does THIS?!?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrptSTP
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: What if Bach does THIS?!? Reply with quote

I tried for a dramatic title. I tried...

So, Hack001 and I were bs'ing about trumpets yesterday. I'm sure none of you do that. Well, here are my ideas from the conversation:

What would happen if:
1.) Bach got rid of the Artisan line
2.) Bach would now make all of their Stradivarius trumpets to the original specs (i.e., two parts valve clusters, hand-hammered bells, using the actual large z-braces instead of the Kanstul ones on their "custom" horns, etc.)
3.) Charged no more for these horns than anything else. That is in the ballpark of $2k like they are now.

What I believe would happen:
1.) Lots of Bachs go up for sale on ebay and TH.
2.) Massive sales for Bach.

What do you guys think?

-Steve

Last edited by TrptSTP on Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Hack001
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAAND--

4.) Figure out the old brass alloy they used to use.

5.) Ditch the soap popsicle they put in the bell to bend the crook and use the old metal alloy

6.) ACTUALLY hand hammer the bells, scrap the hydraulic punch

7.) get rid of the "special acoustic treatment" (i.e. annealing). No one wants that.

8.) steel rim wires

Basically make Bach's the way Selmer promised old man Schrotenbach they would be done back in the 60's. I think its ridiculous they're charging another $600 for the way the horns are supposed to be made in the first place
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree .. I can go on all day about the Bach designs, but I believe they had it right in the 60s during the company change. Was it REALLY broke? Did they REALLY need to fix it???

Horns are generally heavier now, and we also as a generation play on larger mouthpieces. This is why you see a WEALTH of Mt. Vernon 7C's and 10 1/2C's ... they just matched well to those horns at the time.

All of the above sounds great .. don't forget the brass valve guides.

I also am a believer in the really fat duckfoot looking bell braces which spread out the tension (if any) in the connection rather than a point load.

The horns (especially in the Vernon era) were a bit narrower ... a trait you see now in the Yamaha Artist Chicago horns, as well as the Laskey conversions.

Perhaps the only other factory option you need is a PVA, and you are good to go. In my mind (even though I LOVE Yamaha's), Sonare has made the stride to provide an off the shelf best buy for a quality pro-horn, i.e. Blackburn leadpipe, PVA, etc..
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This comes to mind. I don't know why.

http://www.khaaan.com/
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
This comes to mind. I don't know why.

http://www.khaaan.com/

crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yous guys are saying the same things I said when that Artisan line first came out. I think they should make the current Strad a step up horn, and the Artisan the throwback Strad. I haven't had the chance to play any Artisans yet. They were supposed to have an Artisan event at the store where I teach, but it hasn't happened yet.
What you are describing is how Kanstul makes horns. I have played many new Bachs, and my Celebration makes them sound like student horns. It is very Bachish, which is why I'm playing it and not my 30 yr old 72*. By the way, none of the new Bachs I've played can match old "Crusty" either.
Forget Bach. Since they raised their prices, just get a Kanstul and Flip set it up for you. Better yet, just get a Celebration (or Wild Thing, if that suits you!).
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
TrptSTP
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually crzytptman, Flip's products are not really my thing. Though for me the 72 bell is one of the only bells. One of the only "37s" I've really enjoyed trying was the Kanstul version. Hack001 and I were joking about the new bach enhanced radius ferrules, or whatever they are called. I pulled out my Kanstul 920. Oh look at ferrules on it. Gee gosh.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrptSTP wrote:
Actually crzytptman, Flip's products are not really my thing. Though for me the 72 bell is one of the only bells. One of the only "37s" I've really enjoyed trying was the Kanstul version. Hack001 and I were joking about the new bach enhanced radius ferrules, or whatever they are called. I pulled out my Kanstul 920. Oh look at ferrules on it. Gee gosh.

And that's-s-s...bad?

It's my understanding that Bach was at a critical point where they may have closed shop, not too long ago. Finding ways to adjust to the world economy is a good thing. "Brand Loyalty" to the point of pushing a company out of business is not.

If Conn-Selmer can save money having Kanstul make parts for them, then everyone benefits. Except the Chinese.

I'm good with it.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:

If Conn-Selmer can save money having Kanstul make parts for them, then everyone benefits. Except the Chinese.

Now THAT'S the best idea I've read on this forum in years!

...besides "go practice," that is...

ThatDude
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bike&ed wrote:
shofarguy wrote:

YES! Stop production and buy all your parts from a competitor! Great Idea.

Seriously, If that's what someone wants...They should just buy a Kanstul.
Don Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm good with it.

Brian

Hey Brian, I would have to agree, and I am Chinese.....
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDude wrote:
bike&ed wrote:
shofarguy wrote:

Kanstul is hardly a competitor for Conn-Selmer, they're small fry by comparison. I guess it's better for business that China builds their student level horns?

ThatDude
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bike&ed wrote:
ThatDude wrote:
bike&ed wrote:
shofarguy wrote:

Kanstul is hardly a competitor for Conn-Selmer, they're small fry by comparison. I guess it's better for business that China builds their student level horns?

Yes, It is. Obviously.
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDude wrote:
bike&ed wrote:
ThatDude wrote:
bike&ed wrote:
shofarguy wrote:

Yes, It is. Obviously.

Wow, we really have lost any concept of long term consequences, haven't we? Very sad indeed...
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In business, a supplier is NOT a competitor. Kanstul has been a supplier of parts, assemblies and whole horns for years. Actually, they began as such some time before Zig was persuaded to develop his own brand. So, keep your shirts on Bach-philes, Zig is your friend!

Do some rudimentary investigation and see just how much the tooling for one little Z-brace costs. Then do some more research to see if the investment will have a sufficient, positive effect on sales in order to justify the expense, either in a higher price point or increased numbers, even look at play qualities for significant improvement.

My guess is that such a move would have a detrimental or negligible effect on the sales and the quality of the product. So, purchasing an existing part from a supplier is not only very attractive but beneficial for the company, its investors, and customers. Businesses have functioned this way for well over a hundred (like forever) years.

To quote the Professor in The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, "Good heavens, what do the teach in schools these days?"

Brian

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
JonB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the general consensus on the Artisan line? Last I heard there was a lot of speculation of "well, they look nice, but how do they play/LOL BACH HAS INCONSISTENCIES LOL LOL LOL". Has anyone played one and if so how do they stack up against the Stadivarius line?
TrptSTP
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
Do some rudimentary investigation and see just how much the tooling for one little Z-brace costs. Then do some more research to see if the investment will have a sufficient, positive effect on sales in order to justify the expense, either in a higher price point or increased numbers, even look at play qualities for significant improvement.

My guess is that such a move would have a detrimental or negligible effect on the sales and the quality of the product. So, purchasing an existing part from a supplier is not only very attractive but beneficial for the company, its investors, and customers. Businesses have functioned this way for well over a hundred (like forever) years.

But that's not my point. I had my Bach C redone with Kanstul "z braces." So I think I can make this comment. It's the fact that Bach shouldn't have to outsource those parts. I don't want to say something like, "It cheapens the brand," or anything like that. I love Kanstul horns. No lie. It's just one of those situations where you know that Bach could make it, have made it in the past, and probably could easily make them right now. Wanting the company to do what you know that it's capable of should not be an unreasonable thought.

- Steve
65strad
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

custom Bb SN#2008(note bracing)

NY Strad old school SN#2545 (note the bracing)

I like some here, long for having Bachs made the old school way. I was lucky to have it my way, and the closest facimile to that end that I'll ever get in a new horn to the capture some of the old school specs. I would be surprised if Bach outsources their parts. I know that extensive in house fabrication was done on my horn (nickel tuning rings/slide rings/beads, valve case etc.) No acoustic treatment was done on the bell and the horn plays beautifully, and like my vintage Bachs also sounds like a Bach.

I have played the Artisan horns and wrote about them (great horns), sound like Strads with a different resonance however I prefer my custom. I think that most would agree that Bachs from the 60's and current vintage Strads have something very special in common. They sound like Strads, and their sound is what differentiates them. A Kanstul sounds like a Kanstul, Yamaha a Yamaha etc.
'08 Bach factory custom "one off" 43*G SN#2008
'65 Bach 181 37 SN#30836
'67 Bach 180 37 SN#39773
'70 Bach 181 37 SN#58831
'72 Bach 180S 43 SN#70503
'05 Bach VBS 196 Picc SN#560142
'07 Bach Chicago C SN#656602
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrptSTP wrote:
shofarguy wrote:

But that's not my point. I had my Bach C redone with Kanstul "z braces." So I think I can make this comment. It's the fact that Bach shouldn't have to outsource those parts. I don't want to say something like, "It cheapens the brand," or anything like that. I love Kanstul horns. No lie. It's just one of those situations where you know that Bach could make it, have made it in the past, and probably could easily make them right now. Wanting the company to do what you know that it's capable of should not be an unreasonable thought.

- Steve

Steve,

I have not followed the Bach legacy, so I have to speculate using what I know about manufacturing and the companies that do it. Perhaps, like the Benge brand, Bach has passed from one era of leadership to another some number of times over the years and some "legacy" parts and their tooling just didn't survive.

Tooling wears out and becomes useless. Or, the machine the tooling fits is replaced and new tooling must be made. Choices have to be made whether to spend the money replacing/upgrading whole machine systems or turning to an outside supplier who is making comparable parts.

The truth is that no major brass instrument company is selling anywhere near the number of instruments they once did. Companies have to be very careful and creative to be able to amortize the considerable cost of upgrading production machinery.

The genius of Zig Kanstul is in how he has built the manufacturing aspect of his business and stayed solvent, independent... and profitable. That his products are world class is icing on the cake. Few, if any, other brass instrument production companies have been able to duplicate what he has done. It has enabled Kanstul to be a player in the industry - both as a supplier and manufacturer - even as the industry shrinks and changes.

B.

ThatDude
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bike&ed wrote:
ThatDude wrote:
bike&ed wrote:
ThatDude wrote:
bike&ed wrote:
shofarguy wrote:

Yes, It is. Obviously.

Wow, we really have lost any concept of long term consequences, haven't we? Very sad indeed...

You seem to not understand the difference between what's good for business and what is perceived to be good for the economy...Keeping costs down is undoubtedly good for Bach, regardless of whether it is or not a good trend for the general economy. Let's not pretend like business outsource for the love of the art. They are not stupid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: