• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hunter Flugelhorn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcordle56

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Hunter Flugelhorn Reply with quote

I recently acquired a Hunter flugelhorn while doing some horn trading - silver plated, .433 bore, third valve trigger, Bach taper receiver - all the standard stuff. I know it's a Chinese horn with a New York importer/distributor, but that's about all I know, or can find out. It plays well, plays in tune as much as any flugelhorn, and seems to be well built.

Does anyone have any experience with this brand?

Thanks.

1961 Conn Connstellation Cornet
1987 Conn 34A Cornet
1905 Lyon Healy Own Make Cornet
Bundy 183 Flugelhorn
1974 Selmer Radial Trumpet
1979 Conn 16E Mellophonium
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was finishing up "A Timeline of Trumpets", I decided to add in some discussion of the modern discount options. Among the examples I looked at was a Hunter HTR6418RM for 2015. Here is an excerpt from the book covering it.

"The Conn-Selmer Bach-Prelude trumpets are sourced from Asian suppliers; at least one of these appears to be Tianjin Music Instrument Industry Company. When the Cultural Revolution was launched in China in the mid-1960s as a violent extra-legal political movement to prop up an aging Communist regime through the manipulation of the nation's youth into a second, represented as restorative, revolution, all forms of the arts linked to the past, all traditional Chinese music and instruments included, were declared counter-revolutionary and fairly effective attempts were made to destroy them. Out of this chaos, the opportunity to produce western instruments that represented the new age and new ways of thinking emerged. Tianjin became one of the centers of small craft manufacture of Western musical instruments, and the Tianjin Music Instrument Industry Co. is an outgrowth of that concentration together with the co-operatives traditional in Communist ideology, simply transformed by the Capitalist reforms of the 1990s into a modern multi-national conglomerate.

In the United States, the conglomerate operates through its subsidiary, formed in 1996, Hunter Music Instruments in Long Island. The company advertises that it will stencil its product for any seller. even in quantities as low as one unit, for an $80 set-up fee and $8 per horn. They prohibit the online retail sale of any instrument marked with the Hunter brand, declaring those to be the best of their production and limiting sales channels for the brand to brick and mortar retailers to reinforce that quality image. They thereby separate their own sales from those of their stenciled product, which retails mostly online, even including the Prelude brand"

I refrained from commenting on the horn itself which was functional and probably an OK starter horn for a beginner who didn't treat it too roughly. Repair if damaged would be a bit challenging from a parts perspective, but the construction seemed OK. It certainly played vastly better than the Oswal Indian horn I also looked at, and on par with the bottom-tier Eastman.

Tianjin is also home to Yamaha & KHS Chinese manufacturing operations as well as the state/PLA sponsored Jinbao. Tianjin is sort of the Elkhart of China.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20

Last edited by OldSchoolEuph on Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a chance to play these horns once or twice at the NAMM show in Anaheim. If I remember correctly I played a cornet, flugel, and picc. and I felt that their horns were kind-of stuffy. I was unsuccessful in getting a good sound out of them. Glad you have a good playing horn!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: