• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn 60B!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumbachpet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those green Conn gig bags that came with a 60B if anyone is interested in buying it. Unfortunately traded the mint horn with original accessories for a Bach Big Apple Stradivarius at Sam Ash a few years back. Bought the 60B new from Manny's in 1972, but never played it very much.
'57 Olds Studio Cornet
'78 York Cornet
harleyt26
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I am missing from my 60B set is the mute bag. Sure do wish I had that mute bag!
Been playing my 1950 28B since I got it in December, sweet horn! Going to give it a rest and put this 69 60B to work for awhile. Picked up the 60B in January from Mark Wood same great guy sold me the 28B.

My 60B set is a quite complete except for the mute bag. It has all three sets of finger buttons, two sets of springs, an extra set of black felts, and the original box and paper insert these small parts came in, the mouthpiece, case, case cover and a super minty silver 60B horn.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Conn 60B! Reply with quote

Bozzaman wrote:

I had no idea what this horn was initially, but it felt solid in my hands and lit the place up when I put it to work. I think I'm gonna have to get this horn and put it to good use!

Anyone?

I cant do it now, but I always felt the horn could be overblown when trying to play really loud. I also had a silver flair 1055 and it held a little better, but those 2 particular trumpets were better than the Benge and Shilke horns I played and I never thought a Bak was my sound. I played a Silver 60b and it had a lot more in my opinion. This was marching band and I was asked to play as loudly as I could. Never had a problem with big band or concert music so all that I have said may be worthless. But if you blow really big this horn can be overblown.
intrepidpooch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddie Hubbard played a Conn 60B for a minute too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
duane v
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have me a 1929 60B that's in great condition... She's gonna get a good cleaning this weekend
trumpaholic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very fortunate to have a 67 CONN 60 B formerly owned by Chris LaBarbera. If you Google Chris LaBarbera, you can hear it being played on Concerto for Trumpet and as well on several other you tube sessions. They are very special horns in my opinion.

When I listed this horn previously here for sale, Chris checked the serial number and found it to be his old horn as he had it wrote down in case it was ever stolen. He phoned me and talked about the many recordings he had done in the 15 years he played it. Needless to say, I was overwhelmed by this conversation and removed it from the listing.

Chris is an amazing player and I was very inspired by his call.
JBeeBop

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Conn 60B Reply with quote

I have one of these Conn 60 B horns and bought it New in 1970. The leading M on the serial number tells me it was created in 1969. This horn I have has a great sound and it is gold plated. The finish is a little blemished on the left side of the valve casing where I held it, but all the valves are super fast acting and the compression on the valve 3 slide and valve 1 slide really pop with great compression.

I recently purchased a 1967 Olds Super in New Orleans to play while the Conn 60 B went in the shop for a refresh...then a friend passed away and his widow gave me his Yamaha YTR 734 which is in nearly perfect condition.
I love all three of these horns they sound great and play well, but I know that I can only play one horn at a time.

I am new to TrumpetHerald.com but have met the requirements for Marketplace, but could use some advice on valuations. I am thinking of posting all three and simply playing the last one remaining. I welcome any and all advice.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have three very nice horns. Establishing a price on a vintage horn is difficult because so much depends on how it looks and, more importantly, how it plays. And then there’s the fact that potential buyers may have strong preferences for one brand/model and not the others.

Putting an ad in the Marketplace asking for best offers is probably your best bet. Be sure to have lots of high quality photos available. These should show the horns assembled (both sides) and disassembled with close-ups of the valves,

Then all you have to do is wait and see what happens.

Good luck!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: