• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flip Oakes Extreme Flugel Mouthpiece

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same sort of order, although mine were 1.5's (plus a 5) - simply because of having horns with each taper. So far, I haven't tried the XO in anything in which it didn't yield a richer, fuller tone. As it turned out, 1.5 may be a bit of overkill, but they certainly do sound great.
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChopsGone wrote:
I did the same sort of order, although mine were 1.5's (plus a 5) - simply because of having horns with each taper.

Green with envy.

I could see that -- one for brass band, one for cocktail hour with a bass and one for Children of Sanchez. Problem is I can't see that and my wife in the same house. She has trouble understanding two trumpets, two cornets and one flugel (plus a sax, a french horn, two flutes and a didj). Go figure!

Tommy T.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy t. wrote:
ChopsGone wrote:
I did the same sort of order, although mine were 1.5's (plus a 5) - simply because of having horns with each taper.

Green with envy.

I could see that -- one for brass band, one for cocktail hour with a bass and one for Children of Sanchez. Problem is I can't see that and my wife in the same house. She has trouble understanding two trumpets, two cornets and one flugel (plus a sax, a french horn, two flutes and a didj). Go figure!

Tommy T.

Tommy,

I wonder if your wife has more than one skillet? More than one pot? Or pair of shoes??

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this sneaky feeling that comparing horns and mpc's to cooking utensils is an argument you don't want to engage in. YMMV.
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
I have this sneaky feeling that comparing horns and mpc's to cooking utensils is an argument you don't want to engage in. YMMV.

Actually, I think it is a decent argument and I invite Brian to come out to Deep East Texas and make it. We've even got a guest appartment in the garage that he can stay in.

Tommy T.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy t. wrote:
RandyTX wrote:

Actually, I think it is a decent argument and I invite Brian to come out to Deep East Texas and make it. We've even got a guest appartment in the garage that he can stay in.

Tommy T.

You just want to make sure there is another captive target for those flying skillets and pots!

Brian

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Scott42486
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More Appropriately Brian, I believe he wants someone else to make that argument for him. I do believe that argument falls under the category of "suicide mission". I might be on the slightly young side but that one strikes me as something not to bring up around said kitchen utensils, or any sharp objects, or blunt objects, etc etc....
swing95
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy t. wrote:
swing95 wrote:
Hi,
I ordered, yesterday, 3 No.10.5 mouthpiece directly from Flip Oakes. One of each taper.
I am looking forward to play them as soon as I get them.
Cheers
Francisco

Why did you order three different tapers? Any given horn only works with the single taper for which it was designed.

(I'm just curious. Several posibilities come to mind: you have three horns of different make and model; you have students who have different horns; you are a retailer who wants a selection to offer customers.)

Tommy T.

They are for two flugels and one custom french taper pipe. The french taper pipe is an alternative for my Kanstul 1525, which I prefer than the original one.
Cheers
scarface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n00b question: Do the Flip Oakes numbers correlate roughly to Bach mp sizes? For example, if I've been practicing on a 1.25C Bach mp for trpt, should I consider starting with a #1.25 Extreme flugel horn mp? This will be used on a YFH-635ST, fwiw.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarface wrote:
n00b question: Do the Flip Oakes numbers correlate roughly to Bach mp sizes? For example, if I've been practicing on a 1.25C Bach mp for trpt, should I consider starting with a #1.25 Extreme flugel horn mp? This will be used on a YFH-635ST, fwiw.

Yes, they are Bach sizes, but from the My Vernon era. Mark Curry has his own collection of Mt. Vernon Bach mouthpieces from which he got his rims. They are consistently a bit larger than their modern counterparts. So, for instance, I use the 5 rim instead of the 3 because it is closer to the modern Bach 3 in size. Generally speaking, the MV rims are "softer" than the modern versions, too. I really like them.

Flip has been using the 1-1/4 size himself, lately, to good effect.

Brian

Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I got my new X3 French taper yesterday and was able to A:B it with my WT3 GR mouthpipe.

Initial impression: "Ye Gods!" looking down the X3 reminded me of the old stereophile maxim that a good amplifier was a straight wire with gain. The geometry of the X3 gave me a moment to reflect on those years of buzzing exercises I spent. This X3 didn't look like it was going to cheat for me, even a bit.

I played on the WT3 GR combo first with my 70's Couesnon and I liked the sound and intonation. It gets squirrely around B natural above the staff into C#. Feels So Good would likely be a major challenge on this horn and m/p.

I rested for awhile and tried the original Couesnon mouthpipe and the French taper X3. First off, the mouthpiece dropped like a rock into the pipe and was stopped only by the rim curvature. Hmmmmmm a reamed out shank? With some trepidation I gave this setup a blow.

I was pleasantly surprised that I could easily produce a passable sound. Articulations are less "hard" and the blow is easy but has some resistance. The sound, yes, the sound. I struggled with this as to best describe it, considering the formidable eloquence of Shofarguy.
For me, the sound I produced had a small, dense central core or body with an outer ring of warm frequencies, Saturn and her rings?
The range was similar and no harder with the same high B/C#. Flexibility was the same on both setups but dynamic range was better with the X3.
As previously noted, articulation on the X3 was notably softer.

So those are my playing impressions. As a footnote, I had the pleasure of speaking by telephone with Mr. Oakes directly about my order. He is truly a fine gentleman and was extremely helpful and honest.

FWIW,

Brian
loil
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Flip Oakes are not produced anymore but U can find it sometimes on ebay can anybody tell me the size compared to Bach ?
1977 Martin Committee
197* Couesnon Flugel
DONAT mpcs exclusively
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loil wrote:
Since Flip Oakes are not produced anymore but U can find it sometimes on ebay can anybody tell me the size compared to Bach ?

Flip may or may not have NOS mouthpieces left. His email address, flip@flipoakes.com, is still active, though Flip is officially retired now.

To your question, Flip used Mark Curry to manufacture his mouthpieces. Mark has two sets of models for his rims. His rim numbers with asterisks (*) are scanned from modern Bach rim sizes. The plain numbered (non-asterisk) sizes are reproduced from his Mt. Vernon era model collection and are somewhat larger diameter.

Flip used the MV Bach rims, so they are each a little larger than the current corresponding numbered Bach products. I find Flip's #5 just barely smaller than a modern 3 and his #3 about the same as a modern 1-1/2 Bach

Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loil wrote:

This thread has some information:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=95960

The first post shows a diagram comparing the Flip Oakes "Extreme" cup/throat/backbore to his standard cup/throat/backbore.

The second post shows that the "Extreme" models were available in 8 different cup diameters. You can compare these to the diameters of Bach mouthpieces (as published in the Bach mouthpiece manual) to partially answer your question (CAUTION: Cup diameter specs are never measured in a consistent way across different manufacturers). You could fully compare cup shapes, throat size, etc. on "The Unofficial Mouthpiece Comparator" available online, except for the fact that Flip Oakes mouthpiece scans are not available there.

The "Extreme" series would appear to have very deep cups and very big throats/backbores compared to Bach mouthpieces.

Since Mark Curry manufactured the Flip Oakes mouthpieces, he might have more information for you. You could try emailing him (or send him a PM here; his TH userid is "Mark Curry").

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there some reason this topic/thread is in the Cornet/Flugelhorn Forum, rather than the Mouthpieces Forum ?

I am confused
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read this and thread and the other thread. Are these mouthpieces still available at a dealer, for order?
drmayne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riojazz wrote:
I've read this and thread and the other thread. Are these mouthpieces still available at a dealer, for order?

I bought one fairly recently from Flip - flip@flipoakes.com - he still may have some left.

Mark Curry has been experimenting with something like the Xtreme - and may have available for sale - it is his FLX model (which isn't advertised on his website yet). I've played one, it isn't quite the same as an Xtreme, but same concept (it is deeeeep too).
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good info. I'm not familiar with this concept; I play a stock GR 66 Flugel and I wouldn't call it deep, and I think it's fine.

However, since I have zero experience going really deep as described here and yet several of you say it works well, what would you recommend that would not be extreme, yet deeper? First step to try? Any dealers in the New York City area who might have something to try? [Small morse, later Kanstul 1525]
drmayne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riojazz wrote:
Thanks for the good info. I'm not familiar with this concept; I play a stock GR 66 Flugel and I wouldn't call it deep, and I think it's fine.

However, since I have zero experience going really deep as described here and yet several of you say it works well, what would you recommend that would not be extreme, yet deeper? First step to try? Any dealers in the New York City area who might have something to try? [Small morse, later Kanstul 1525]

I use a GR 67FL as well for what it is worth. Definitely not deep, even the 67FL*** doesn't come close.

I'm sorry to say I'm not aware of any other mouthpieces, aside from Mark Curry's FLX, that comes even close. The Xtreme is 1.25" deep, with a very large #1 throat size as well. It is in a league of it's own as far as I know - having tried other deep mouthpieces, there just isn't any comparison that I'm aware of. It is very counter intuitive that this would even work. Also, I actually have as much or more range on the Xtreme than I do on the GR67FL (though it doesn't slot as well) - which I can't say for other deep cup flugel mp's I've tried. The sound is very different than the GR67FL - it forces one to play a certain way that sounds wonderful.

Perhaps someone else knows of something that approaches this legendary piece...
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Flip Oakes Extreme (Hi, Flip!!) and it's wonderful for combo work and solos, but does not blend well with a section in a big band (unless everyone is playing them). The inner contour is like a French Horn mouthpiece, which adds to that wonderful rich sound. I have to pull my tuning slide way in when I use it, but it's worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: