• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Martin Committee

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BuddyRogersMusic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Martin Committee Reply with quote

Browsing for a new horn and I have come across a bunch of Martin Committee trumpets. Anyone have any positive/negative experiences with the line of horns? I am gonna be trying a few out next week.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They’re supposedly the Holy Grail of trumpets. I’ve tried 2 and they are nice but I’m not good enough to really appreciate what they can do
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on what you gonna do with the instrument. The ones I tried where fine instruments but not suitalble for every job; nice for solo jazz work but I would not put one in action in a symphonic orchestra.
If you are looking for a versitile instrument I'd rather go for a Vincent Bach 180-37 or an imitation of that horn like for example the Yamaha Xeno, Getzen 900 Protheus or such.

Chet Baker sounded great on a Committee as well on a Bach 180-37, go figure
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is both an excellent combo and lead horn. I'm not sure all are that versatile, but mine is. The slotting is not as defined as my Benge. For players who want more pitch flexibility, it's great. If you wand locked-in pitch, I suggest trying out some other horns.

IMO, sound is flexible. By contrast, Severinsens I've had had a more precise, inherent sound to them, although that can be moderated somewhat by mouthpiece size, make and bore.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Dr. Manhattan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Martin Committee Reply with quote

Martin Committees are fine horns. I feel at home on mine.
While some of the Committees up for sale will need some work, I would not shy away from buying one (that needs a work) and then sending it to one of the very talented Brass repairmen to refurbish. I picked up an LB Committee in really sad shape and Landress Brass brought it back to life for a very very reasonable price.

I would also recommend trying before buying as you may find the Committee does not suit you. Let us know what you end up getting....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Martin Committee Reply with quote

BuddyRogersMusic wrote:
Browsing for a new horn and I have come across a bunch of Martin Committee trumpets. Anyone have any positive/negative experiences with the line of horns? I am gonna be trying a few out next week.

I've been able to briefly try a medium bore. It was nice and had a nice warm sound that was very pleasing. It had more of a solo or section (3rd or 4th book) sound, but not a lead sound.

I've had the chance to try out a large bore Deluxe of 1956 vintage. It was a more normal and versatile trumpet, but still had a distinctive vintage sound to it. Different from the medium bore sound.

Both Martins require that the player have a good sense of pitch and know how to place notes properly. They like to play jazz.

Nothing looks as sexy as a 1940s - 1950s Committee.

The Kanstul 1603 and 1603+ play and sound like the large bore Martin I sampled. Wallace Roney told me, "It IS a Martin Committee." They are new and you can configure them the way you want. Just sayin'.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played three or four - all owned by the same collector - before buying medium bore mid-1950s Committee. It was the only non-Deluxe in the bunch, and while the cosmetics of the Deluxe models are nice, I preferred the sound of the non-Deluxe. Obviously, that is purely a matter of personal preference.

Considering that most of them are going to be 60 or more years old, it's reasonable to anticipate some repair work. Mine needed a valve job.

I have yet to run into a large bore model, but I'd love to try one - or be able to AFFORD one!

Take care,
Marc Speed
Dr. Manhattan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Martin Committee Reply with quote

Brian brings up a good point about also considering the Kanstul 1603.
I have yet to try one but really want to!

When I saw Wallace Roney during the pre-concert meet and greet at Yoshi's in Oakland Mr. Roney said, "It's a Committee and it is brand new!"
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for a Committee, then get that. The brass is unique, the design was ideal. Intonation, regardless what's said around here, is excellent. I've owned a non-deluxe #2 from 1949, and a '39 Handcraft Committee, which another animal altogether. ANIMAL is the key word. That horn is ridiculous.

A certain well-known "incredible" lead player declared my '49 Committee to be as good a lead horn as anything I had in the arsenal. It was marketed as such back in the day, but smokey and jazzy, sure.

ed
sounds7
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only ever owned one and it is perfect in every respect.
47 Martin Committee #3
Buescher lightweight 400 228
Buescher lightweight 400 217
Taylor/Harrelson/MAW
Warburton model 235
Stomvi Mambo #5
Conn constellation 38a cor.
Courtois 301 Orchestra C
Yamaha Custom 9830 pic
Yamaha 731 /Harrelson mod
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jim Galakti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Martin Committee Reply with quote

BuddyRogersMusic wrote:

I play alot of trumpets...Best Trumpet - Martin Committee
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Martin Committee Reply with quote

BuddyRogersMusic wrote:

When you say "come across a bunch", do you mean a lot of separate ads or auctions for Committees, or a group of Committees that are all in the same place (like unsold stock in the inventory of a music store that closed)?

Are the horns you are looking at ones from the "classic era" (late 40's to early 60's), or the ones made by LeBlanc in Kenosha after they bought the Martin name in 1971?

I ask only because the LeBlanc Martins (models T3460/T3465), while nice horns, are very different from the ones the other folks on this thread are talking about (except for Jim Galakti -- from his signature and website, I can see that he plays a LeBlanc Committee).
obedmeister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Martin Committee Reply with quote

Great sound on the these horns, but I agree with many of the suggestions listed. Try it first and see if it meets your needs. I would not purchase a deluxe model. They don't really have that sweet sound IMHO. If you have the opportunity for a Large Bore, I wouldn't hesitate to get it. I have only tried the medium bores and loved them. My top choice is the Martin Handcraft Committee, second regular non-deluxe committee, and to my surprise, I am currently very happy with a Martin Handcraft Imperial. I'm really surprised at how versatile it is. As far as investment, just buy all that you can afford. You are sure to some profit. Enjoy!!
Dr. Manhattan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Martin Committee Reply with quote

I have both, an LB Deluxe model (1956) and an LB brass model with bronze bell (1962) and both sound and play great. Both can light up when needed as well as darken or sound sweet like honey butter melting in freshly baked corn bread (now I am hungry again!). Your sound concept is in your head. Chet always sounds like Chet whether he played a Bach, Martin, or.............
Also, there is a Youtube of Arturo playing (Arturo Sandoval Master Class Video #2 - Listening) and he can sound dark, bright, fluffy, soft, even like a flugelhorn, all on the same horn AND mouthpiece.
So......
If you come across a horn you really like, regardless of all brass or nickel slides, lacquered or raw brass, even silver plated, I say buy it if you like how you sound on it.
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw_iuEQD-Fc

I have had both the medium and large bore Committees and loved them but got a seriously good return so I sold them.

I now play a Lawler C7 which is modelled on the Martin Committee ...the similarity is uncanny..I love the sound...I have never and will never be a lead player.

Best wishes in your hunt for a "special" horn.
ERoscio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys, i have a martin committee(1948). above the serial number is an A. what does it mean? thanks
SilverSpunk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no stranger to Committees, I've played Martins many years ago and I have now decided to get back to my hobby after a long hiatus.

The combination with the bell flare, step bore design and lighter bracing make give the post war Committees the velvet and compact sound that they're known for. Looser slotting with the ease to "bend" notes was what most jazz trumpet players in the 50s had caught on with and favored.

Many notable Jazz trumpet players have played Committees at least once in their careers (some played them for the majority of their career.

Lee Morgan (played an up-tilted bell Committee that Dizzy gifted him on Coltrane's Blue Train album), Kenny Dorham, Dizzy Gillespie (created the up-tilted bell trend), Miles Davis (played M bore and L bore Committees), Fats Navarro, Chet Baker and more played post war Committees.

Now the WW2 era Handcraft Committee trumpets are a similar but different horn, much rarer because they were only produced from the late 30s up until about 1944. They are more like Handcraft Imperials, some might say a bit more versatile than the post war Committees but do not have the same sound and loose slotting that is associated with the later Committees.
SilverSpunk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ERoscio wrote:
hi guys, i have a martin committee(1948). above the serial number is an A. what does it mean? thanks

I don't recall ever seeing a letter "A" above the serial number before, could you post a link to the pic or post the pic here?

Does it mean it is in the key of "A" ? haha
Wondra
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "A" means Artist Model. These were build for Players who endorsed Martin trumpets.

Don't make me get the flying monkeys...
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilverSpunk wrote:
The combination with the bell flare, step bore design and lighter bracing make give the post war Committees the velvet and compact sound that they're known for.

Committee a step bore?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: