• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach LR180S72

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bronxgroove

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:53 am    Post subject: Bach LR180S72 Reply with quote

Hello

I'm thinking about getting a Bach LR180S72. I was also looking at a 72*/43 but I hear its a bit harder to play. I mostly play Jazz and hopefully lead someday. Anyone play this model? and if so how do you like it? Thanks
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are contemplating an equipment change, you should tell us what you are playing now, and what you hope the new equipment will do for you. Otherwise, you will get replies like "I liked it" or "I didn't" and that will be less than helpful.
Bronxgroove

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom LeCompte wrote:
If you are contemplating an equipment change, you should tell us what you are playing now, and what you hope the new equipment will do for you. Otherwise, you will get replies like "I liked it" or "I didn't" and that will be less than helpful.

I did have a Bobby Shew horn but I wasn't crazy about the step bore. I was also thinking about a YTR-8335LA
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been over ten years since I've played a 180/72-43, but I still remember a few things about it. BTW, I liked the Bach. At the time, it was my favorite Stradivarius model. I also had access to Kanstul's line of trumpets at their showroom and would periodically play their 1503 and 1504 models, which were patterned after the 180/72 with #25 and #43 lead pipes, respectively. Of those two, I got along best with the 1504.

Regardless of which manufacturer, the 43 pipe feeds back to the player a characteristic sound, which I find fairly unique. It's a little reedy, you might say. I don't think it changes the tone much out in front of the bell, but it was something I had to accept and get used to hearing.

The 43 pipe is more open than the standard 25, but less so than the 25-O pipe. I was used to Benge horns, back then, and the 72s from Kanstul and Conn-Selmer both gave a sharper upturn in resistance than what I was used to, as I ascended above the staff. They tired me out pretty quickly. The 43 pipe was a little less tiring than the 25 pipe.

Many players on these boards write that they like the resistance and need it to blow against in the upper register. Take my comments and consider what I write using their preferences, if you are like them.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Bronxgroove

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
It's been over ten years since I've played a 180/72-43, but I still remember a few things about it. BTW, I liked the Bach. At the time, it was my favorite Stradivarius model. I also had access to Kanstul's line of trumpets at their showroom and would periodically play their 1503 and 1504 models, which were patterned after the 180/72 with #25 and #43 lead pipes, respectively. Of those two, I got along best with the 1504.

Regardless of which manufacturer, the 43 pipe feeds back to the player a characteristic sound, which I find fairly unique. It's a little reedy, you might say. I don't think it changes the tone much out in front of the bell, but it was something I had to accept and get used to hearing.

The 43 pipe is more open than the standard 25, but less so than the 25-O pipe. I was used to Benge horns, back then, and the 72s from Kanstul and Conn-Selmer both gave a sharper upturn in resistance than what I was used to, as I ascended above the staff. They tired me out pretty quickly. The 43 pipe was a little less tiring than the 25 pipe.

Many players on these boards write that they like the resistance and need it to blow against in the upper register. Take my comments and consider what I write using their preferences, if you are like them.

Thanks for the info. The Shew had some resistance I don't know if resistance is a good thing or not. I just want a horn that sounds good and is easy to play.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just want a horn that sounds good and is easy to play.

Don't we all! Where are you located? Visit your local music store, or one of the big trumpet-centric stores like J Landress, Thompson Music, Dillon Music, Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center, ACB...and try as many horns as you can. That's the ideal way to figure out what will work for you.

The LR18072 set up is likely to give you a rich, broad sound with a fairly easy blow. The Yamaha 8335LAII is somewhat similar. A lot of that depends on you, though, which is why trying horns is so important.

Good luck!
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you are going to find a horn that is easy to play. Horns in general get easier to play as you improve as a player. You can't just buy an easy trumpet to play. It is like trying to buy love, or knowledge or happiness. You can find a horn that you get along with, and that is the best that you can hope for. The rest is up to you.

Horns have different timbres and blows, but that's about it. Listen to all of the demos by Trent Austin of Austin Custom Brass, or the Horn Trader, Steve Dillard. No matter what horns or mouthpieces these guys play, they always sound great, and they sound the same .Not the same as each other, but the same on any horn. That says it all right there. Sure they will have their favorite horns, but they can play any horn, and from a listener's perspective it doesn't matter.
Bronxgroove

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a lot of professional Jazz players play a 72 or do they prefer a 37?
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bronxgroove wrote:

Nobody wants a horn that sounds bad and is hard to play.

You've been pretty vague as to the direcxtion you want to go, other than that you don't like a step bore (and I think even that isn't as useful as telling us what you don't like).

I'm hoping for more flexibility" or "I'm looking for tighter slotting" or "I want a brighter sound" etc. are all things people can respond to and give their opnions on different horns.

The more you specify what you want, the better advice you will get.
Bronxgroove

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom LeCompte wrote:
Bronxgroove wrote:

Nobody wants a horn that sounds bad and is hard to play.

You've been pretty vague as to the direcxtion you want to go, other than that you don't like a step bore (and I think even that isn't as useful as telling us what you don't like).

I'm hoping for more flexibility" or "I'm looking for tighter slotting" or "I want a brighter sound" etc. are all things people can respond to and give their opnions on different horns.

The more you specify what you want, the better advice you will get.

More flexibility. I don't know anything about slotting if you can explain that would help. Warmer tone
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slotting describes how much the horn pulls a notes's pitch to "where it thinks it should be". Tight means it is relatively mroe difficult to adjust the pitch of a note and loose means it's relatively easy to alter the pitch.

If you want flexibility, the light bell moves in that direction. The large bell moves in the opposite direction, somewhat. The pipe is said to move in that direction. However, you are already playing a fairly large bell horn, so keep that in consideration.

To much flexibility can make a horn feel "slippery" and you need to put more effort into "driving" it - making it do what you want.

You haven't mentioned the reason most people would go with that combination - they want a more open blow. Further, I don't think people have complained of inflexibility with the Shew. So this change might not take you in the direction you want to go.
Bronxgroove

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went in another direction. I think my first Bach pro horn should be a 37. I just bought a 1973 Bach 37. I figured let me buy a used 37 see how the number #1 selling horn sounds. I'll keep you posted and thanks for the info.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bronxgroove wrote:
I went in another direction. I think my first Bach pro horn should be a 37. I just bought a 1973 Bach 37. I figured let me buy a used 37 see how the number #1 selling horn sounds. I'll keep you posted and thanks for the info.

Congratulations on the new trumpet!
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Bronxgroove

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
Bronxgroove wrote:

Congratulations on the new trumpet!

Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: