• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Top Five Student Trumpets

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having decades of experience as a Pro player (and trying new horns out recently just for the hell of it), I've come to the conclusion that the term 'Student Model' is really irrelevant, as long as the mechanics of the horn are all sound.

After playing every brand of trumpet I could get my hands on (major and boutique), some of the best performing for me were indeed student model instruments.

My choices:
Besson/Kanstul 609
Jupiter 606ML

If you can afford a so-called Pro horn and it makes you feel better then go for it, but for my mind, a student or yourself could play just as well on each of the two listed trumpets above, and no doubt many other makes too.

My very first trumpet was some piece of Chinese crap that should be considered abominable on every count, but that's all my mother could afford at the time, and it certainly started me off as a player.

I certainly wouldn't recommend a lot of the Chinese made horns, but I have played some which are fantastic - worth nothing as a trade-in, but for $200/300, they'll certainly do the job well.

[/b]
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
Crazy Finn wrote:
Right - I forgot what the question was - best student models of all time.

What I'm curious about... there was a time when there were no "student models". I have a Buescher catalog from 1939ish and it has prices. The top-of-the-line "The 400" was $130.00 in lacquer ($1900 today) and the entry-level "Aristocrat" in lacquer was $95.00 ($1400 today). The mid-priced horn, the "Custom Built" was $115.00 (clearly about $1700 today)

Tom

There were student horns back in the those days. For instance, Conn didn't sell a student horn, but they made them. They were sold under the names Pan American and Cavalier. Plus they also made stencil horns to be sold in music stores and catalogs.

It was considered unwise to make a low quality instrument as it would detract from the brand. Once the student market exploded in the 1950's and the demand for professional trumpets diminished after the big band era died off, companies then branded their student horns with their pro labels.
Getzen 896S 4 valve Flugelhorn
Getzen 940S Piccolo
Getzen Elkhorn valve/slide Trombone
Patrick Mouthpieces CR84S-CM27. 12.3C
F.E. Olds Nut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My choices (in order):

Olds Ambassadors (Preferably from the LA to early Fullerton era)
-Great valves, great sound and built like a tank

Yamaha 2335s
-Possibly one of the most consistent and best student horns made within the bast 15 years

Kanstul/F. Besson 609
-High quality construction out of Ziggy Kanstul's shop, great sound, and can be found for great prices.

Getzen 300s
-Getzen valves, easy blow and nice, full sound

Bach TR300s
-Nice sound, common as dirt, although not the most consistent horns ever made
melodies4ever

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top five student trumpet would be:
1. Getzen 390
2. Besson 609
3. Reynolds Medalist
4. Olds Ambassador
5. Holton Collegiate
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on my teaching career experience, my top five list includes those trumpet brands which demonstrated the least number of problems with sticky pistons, ill-fitted slides, or cheap construction.

Not ranked in any particular order:

King 600 or 601
Olds Ambassador
Getzen 390
Holton Collegiate
Conn Director (older models)
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha 2335-the modern day Olds Ambassador
Olds Ambassador-after 30 plus years these instruments have survived multiple students and still play well as long as they are not abused.
King-sounds good and durable. The only minor drawback is the internal valve numbers are located in many different positions so students need to know their individual instrument when lining up the valves after cleaning/oiling. Not a big deal.
No further preference
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am completely discouraged with the used pro horn market as there don't seem to be reasonably priced examples anymore. everything is high. then you are faced with paying the amount for something old and used rather than putting the rest of the cash up for new goods.
new trumpet prices have been going up but not at the rate of the used making buying used much less attractive. everyone thinks they have gold. it's bad enough to see the $1000. dogs on ebay. then you have the $1200. dogs because, well, i couldn't say why.
too much automatic and instantaneous price fixing has gone on in the auctions. that might be fine for the buyer fixated on a bach and that price tier. those wise enough will bypass used for the kanstul 700 and the getzens. considering the late date and economic situation our factories have done us a great service by holding the line on price for the basic models.
..chuck
jackkok

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there guys, Im so sorry for bumping this old thread. But Im searching similar information, and I hope someone can help me please. Also students desire to find reasonable writing help online and pay for someone to do your assignment is absolutely normal, but since there are so many task writing administrations to pick from, they can't put together their choice with respect to cost alone. Taking into account cost alone dangers getting a modest paper that is either scarcely usable, conveyed later than anticipated, or has a few pages missing.

Last edited by jackkok on Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Good student trumpets Reply with quote

Kessler and Sons Music has a fantastic trumpet under $1K which I had input into the design. Fit and finish is superb and each gets play tested before delivery to insure it checks all the boxes. Their website will answer any questions about the student and pro models offered.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: