• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rims comparison, WHINNY

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kamyar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Rims comparison, WHINNY Reply with quote

Hi All,

1-Would someone please compare these three mps :
Yamaha 11C4 and 11B4 and BACH 7C from just Rim point of view?

2-May be a newbie question, doing 'WHINNY', is it a specific technic that one can achieve by just practicing or is it an individual capability depending on embouchure, lips,mouthpiece, etc?...or maybe something else?

Many Thanks,
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha pieces have identical feeling rims. And both of them have less bite than the typical Bach 7C. I can't play a Bach 7C for long without irritation but I can play the 11B4 or 11C4 on the picc with no discomfort at all.

The whinny I can't help with. Back in high school I could do that with no problem. These days I can't do it to save my life. I would recommend experimenting with different half-valve combinations.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awhile back I stumbled on a scanned image of a really old article on how to do the whinny for sleigh ride. I can't find the link, but I remember the principles and have used it in performances successfully.

Push the third valve down about halfway, but barely depress the first two valves. This adds enough resistance to swoop up and down but without shutting down the airflow (which is a common mistake).

Start on about a top of staff E, quickly gliss up to around a G, then play a long gliss down. Blow fairly strong but don't start too loud. Get louder as you gliss down so it's pretty loud near the end.

The article recommended shaking the instrument with your right hand to get the pulses, but I pulse the air instead. I don't want to risk bouncing the mpc on my chops. Your choice. The pulses should start shallow then become more pronounced during the downward gliss.

Most important: don't be bashful, shy, or sheepish about this. You have to believe that this is really going to work and play with confidence.
Piccolo Stomvi
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
Push the third valve down about halfway, but barely depress the first two valves. This adds enough resistance to swoop up and down but without shutting down the airflow (which is a common mistake).

Start on about a top of staff E, quickly gliss up to around a G, then play a long gliss down. Blow fairly strong but don't start too loud. Get louder as you gliss down so it's pretty loud near the end.

The article recommended shaking the instrument with your right hand to get the pulses.... The pulses should start shallow then become more pronounced during the downward gliss.

Most important: don't be bashful, shy, or sheepish about this. You have to believe that this is really going to work and play with confidence.

A whinny is most effective when it's loud! These instructions will you help you get it loud.

(I'm not familiar with Yamaha rims, but I have found a Bach 7C rim uncomfortable for me. A Curry 7C, however, is fine.)
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

A chap I used to play with had an interesting way of playing the horse whinny in sleigh ride. He used to put a wooden clothes peg on I believe the 3rd valve stem, presumably as a easier and predictable way of achieving dstdenis's advice of pushing the 3rd valve down about halfway. I have no idea what else he did, having no idea at all how to do this myself, and having always delegated this. Over the years I've had some colleagues with some really great horse whinnys.

Regarding the Bach 7C rim compared to the Yamaha 11C4 (and presumably the 11B4, which I haven't played, but understand to have the same rim), I haven't played either for over ten years, but from memory, the rim of the Bach 7C has a sharper bite and falls away more to the outside than the 11C4.

I have a feeling that all the Yamaha rims ending with a 4 have a similar rim contour, which is more along the lines of a Bach 3C, but possibly slightly rounder.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: