• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

GR Beta Testing Results

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which GR Rim tested best during the GR Beta Tests?
Red
48%
 48%  [ 18 ]
Yellow
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
Blue
35%
 35%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 37

B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Many great replies. Remember the bottom line is play what matches you and your horn, even if you will be left "in the dust"! That'spretty funny actually.

The test pieces are all M cups with #2 backbores. So, Red is 66M or 65M depending upon the series you tested.

Mike,

When it comes to testing we can all skew the tests with a perceived outcome, sometimes it's hard not too. Brian can tell you about his own experiences with putting tape over the numbers to free his mind. Often people that come for a consultation will have a preconception of what they need. Most of the time that is not what works best. The testing shows the way.

Testing: Many of you have noted how the small sample of the GR test materials have helped you discover things in your playing and equipment needs. So even if the mouthpieces were not a match the introduction of this testing system should allow you to find a good match with any equipment you test in the future.

Mike, I (GR) told you a 66M in 2001 (playing a Kanstul horn that was pretty good) was the best match. Over the years you tried many other horns this could have changed! The results of your last consult with Alex in 2009 and beta testing came up with the same part (Red=66M), therefore, you should feel confident you have the best match for that system. Of course if the system changes you may need to make other changes to get the match correct.

Charlie Melk plays the GR 3M and like you the beta testing yielded the same result as his GR consult the (Yellow=3M).

Right now we have a ton of data and it is being processed into a Data Base. I am setting up a program to crunch all the numbers statically for evaluation. Down the road we will probably have some graphs and charts available.

Keep the comments and observations coming as we are all learning!

Gary Radtke
www.grmouthpieces.com
miles71
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, very interesting.

It is amazing how the different horns make the rim characteristics change. I am just glad I stumbled upon the right set up (it seems) for my playing.

Very cool test.

TD
Shelbywmccarty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am glad that i did my test before i saw the layovers...not that looking at them really did much for me.

I will be playing around with getting a 65ms..65m..65s pretty soon. The test was really cool. I had only ever play on a e65m and e65ms. Thanks Brian for letting us do these tests and for the chance to play test some of your mouthpieces! Great pieces indeed.
tomtrum
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: GR Mouthpiece selection? Reply with quote

Hi all:
I'm just getting started trying to select the "right" GR MP for my jazz-swing-pop type music sextet. Playing trumpet, I now perform with the Schilke 8A4 MP and have no trouble with it per se. So I''m wondering what ideally should I be comparing it to in the GR line - comparable in size, etc. Given the Herald commentary, there are many variations to choose from.

What do you guys recommend I purchase or at least test out, in a your first pass "gut feel" comparison.

kht
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go directly here:
http://www.grmouthpieces.com/help-choosing.html
Brian will answer the questions you have once you fill out the questionnaire.
No one is more qualified that he or GR himself.
I played an 8A4 for years back in the late 60s and early 70s. It is around 16.25 mm and the GR 64 series is that size. There are many models in that size that may be what you're looking for and Brian should be able to steer you in the correct direction.
R. Tomasek
GR Dealer.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that talking to Brian or GR himself would be the best way to start. However, I think a GR 64 series would be wider than a Schilke 8. (A Bach 7C and a Schilke 11 are very similar in size. GR roughly equates their 64 series to a Bach 7.)
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry, from the Schilke website.

8A4 16.25 .640 26 (throat) The slightly funnel-shaped cup at the entrance to the throat provides a good tone and the #4 semi-flat rim gives superior endurance.

The rims couldn't be more different and the 8A4 will likely feel smaller because of the sharp bite of the rim.
The A cup in the 8A4 is not really very shallow. The funnel shape gives it more depth than a C type cup.

The 63 series could work for him, too.

R. Tomasek
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

Take a look at http://www.kanstul.com/mpcJN/Compare/CompareJRFF1.html
and overlay the S8A4 over the RADKEY E62S. To me the diameters of these two mouthpieces look very close.

So if I were used to a Schilke S8A4, a GR e62 rim looks like a starting point to me when it comes to diameter. The contour of a GR Z** rim would feel even closer to a Schilke 4 rim, but Tom would have to order a custom mouthpiece to get a Z** rim on a mouthpiece as deep as his Schilke.

Tom might even be able to find a used GR mouthpiece with an e62 rim diameter around in the TH Marketplace or eBay.

I still like your original advice to contact Brian Scriver at GR for the best starting point.

Jerry
tomtrum
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: GR Mouthpiece Selection revisited Reply with quote

I might also consider a GR that hopefully is similar to the Marcinkowicz Bobby Shew MP, Oregon - E10.3, 1.25. Any thoughts on what would be comparable in size in the GR line?
Thanks
tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: