• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

MLK: On the Importance of Jazz

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
you guys can gush over that drivel, i find it conceptually weak.

Oh dear Chuck!

You're not headed for "higher ground." You're headed for DANGEROUS GROUND!
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he was a great organizer and not much of an orator.
anyone else who would utter 'mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the lord' would be taken for being either a crackpot or pedantic.
the general sense of musical and artistic inspiration is that it comes from the heavens, pulling an idea out of thin air. none of us consider, feel, or say, that we pulled our ideas out of the earth.
king's thoughts about finding meaning certainly don't apply to my hero louis armstrong with his immense personal depth.
for one reason or the other the guy got away with that kind of stuff and was considered profound.
conceptually weak would be the best description.
Hack001
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck in ny-- you are a blithering idiot.

MLK was "not much of an orator."

Right.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hack001 wrote:

Right.

Don't say I didn't warn ya Chuck.

Repent, before it's too late!

You are on the verge my friend, of finding out what they REALLY mean by "tolerance."
Jason Palmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
anyone else who would utter 'mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the lord' would be taken for being either a crackpot or pedantic.
the general sense of musical and artistic inspiration is that it comes from the heavens, pulling an idea out of thin air. none of us consider, feel, or say, that we pulled our ideas out of the earth.
king's thoughts about finding meaning certainly don't apply to my hero louis armstrong with his immense personal depth.
for one reason or the other the guy got away with that kind of stuff and was considered profound.

It's thoughts like this that make people like me not want to visit and participate on this site. Where are the moderators?
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Palmer wrote:
chuck in ny wrote:

It's thoughts like this that make people like me not want to visit and participate on this site. Where are the moderators?

I agree with Jason. Let's ruin a feel-good post.

Typical TH antics.

Don't forget the weekly Botti Bash, Arturo slam, Wynton chop, and Bud Beatdown..

This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Palmer wrote:
chuck in ny wrote:

I'm begging you Chuck. Apologize, genuflect, take it back, or it's gonna get ugly.
Jeff Mullis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was, in fact, a plagiarizer. It has been proven that he plagiarized
his doctoral dissertation. And no telling what else!?
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the dude with the popcorn emoticon???

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
westview1900
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Mullis wrote:
He was, in fact, a plagiarizer. It has been proven that he plagiarized
his doctoral dissertation. And no telling what else!?

There is apparently evidence that he did not give proper attribution in his doctoral dissertation.
http://mlk-kpp01.stanford.edu/index.php/kingpapers/article/dissertation_of_martin_luther_king_jr_1955/

chuck in ny wrote:

He was the leader of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, which worked toward equality in civil rights.
http://mlk-kpp01.stanford.edu/index.php/kingpapers/article/southern_christian_leadership_conference_sclc/

He was also a very powerful speaker. Most ministers are pretty good at speaking, but he excelled at this.
http://www.mlkonline.net/speeches.html

Some of his more famous are his "I HAVE A Dream", "I See the Promised Land", and "Letter From Birmingham Jail".

He was also a Nobel Prize recipient.
http://mlk-kpp01.stanford.edu/index.php/kingpapers/article/nobel_peace_prize_1964/

As far as I know, there is no other evidence that Dr. King plagiarized anything else.
http://www.paulsen.com/
Stephen Colbert for president
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best books I ever read while working on my music ed degree was I Have a Dream: Writings and Speeches That Changed the World (Martin Luther King, Jr., born January 15, 1929). The man was truly great, there's no question in my mind about that.

Now, speaking of plagiarism . . . I think it was Mingus who said "If Charlie Parker was a gunslinger, there'd be a whole lot of dead copycats." As a jazz musician, my very job is to "steal" great licks so I sound like an "informed" improviser, right? And I never have to list where I stole every lick, do I? Why can't a speaker use other people's well-expressed ideas, too?

If everybody was totally original, would anybody be able to relate to anything anybody else says?

Reminds me of George Carlin with his phrases nobody has ever uttered before: "Hand me that piano." "Please saw my legs off."
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Palmer wrote:

Yep.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenoman wrote:
Jason Palmer wrote:

Yep.

Yes, by all means, let's have a little thought control here!

We demand more supervision and guidelines!
westview1900
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:

Yes, by all means, let's have a little thought control here!

We demand more supervision and guidelines!

chuck in ny wrote:

Not so much thought control as much as that when someone makes an inflammatory statement that Dr. King was not much of an orator, that person should buttress their statement with facts. Then those facts can be held up for objective analysis. It works this way for science. Otherwise, things degenerate into an emotional argument.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, but we don't need striped shirts for that, do we?

What if he'd said that Clifford Brown wasn't much of an artist? Should moderators rush in to close down the discussion?

We're big boys and girls here, and MLK's accomplishments will not be diminished in any way by what Chuck thinks or says.
westview1900
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:

We're big boys and girls here, and MLK's accomplishments will not be diminished in any way by what Chuck thinks or says.

You make a good point. His accomplishments won't be diminished, but how they are perceived might be. If enough people tell an untruth, it starts to be believed.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Chuck didn't tell an "untruth," no matter how repugnant his opinion is to you.

He told the truth: He's not impressed with MLK's speeches.

Who cares? Do we have to have universal agreement on esthetic issues?

Who gets to decide which opinion is worthy?

Chuck didn't attack anyone, living or dead, in a personal way. He didn't use profanity. And most important here on the TH, he didn't mention politics.

Dr. King did a lot of good and his accomplishments are legendary, but let's not make him into a god. Historians routinely point to the shortcomings of Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln.

An entire cottage industry has grown up around cutting our heroes down to size. They tell us:

Washington had wooden teeth that clacked when he talked, and he never cut down a cherry tree. Some say he was a general with mediocre tactical skills, but won out because of his tenacity and extreme good luck.

Lincoln had a wacked-out wife who held seances in the White House. He was a racist who had no intention of freeing the slaves, until he saw that it would weaken the South's ability to fight. But even then, he wanted them all shipped to Liberia.

And who can even think of Jefferson these days without thinking of his mistress, the slave woman, Sally Hemmings. Don't be surprised if in coming years they erect a monument of Sally to stand next to Thomas in the Jefferson Memorial.

Let the truth be known! Soon, the textbooks for our children will have all the juicy details.

Chuck didn't even mention MLK's womanizing or suggest that Reverend King was a hypocrite for cheating on his wife with his multiple mistresses.

And neither will I.

Last edited by markp on Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:17 am; edited 4 times in total
westview1900
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:

If Chuck meant that he was not impressed by Dr. King's oratory, then, of course, anyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. But, there are objective facts and the word orator is defined as:
1 : one who delivers an oration
2 : one distinguished for skill and power as a public speaker
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/orator

Therefore, under definition number 2, since Dr. King distinguished himself for both his skills and power of his speeches, by using those speeches to motivate people to participate in a movement, he was an effective orator. In other words, he was much of an orator.

To use another example, I am not enthralled by Lawrence Welk as an entertainer. But, I would never say that Lawrence Welk was not much of an entertainer. He was a very successful entertainer. He just wasn't my cup of tea.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hack001 wrote:

Right.

ah yes, defying convention. one of the rights we enjoy, yet when exercised, how abrasive.
i can tell you are one of the many people who think with the collective brain. everybody considers king a great orator, and that's good enough for you.
i used to think such people were imbeciles, but in the fullness of time i have come to realize the phenomenon is a mass application of the vulcan mind meld.
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:

i used to think such people were imbeciles, but in the fullness of time i have come to realize the phenomenon is a mass application of the vulcan mind meld.

Well, that just about wraps up our show for today, kids. Tune in next week when we explore the intricacies of model railroading on the planet ZOT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: