• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Maynard memorabilia for Sale

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Tomashefsky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Maynard memorabilia for Sale Reply with quote

Tell me it ain't so. . . The Ferguson Family selling off the Boss' Trumpets and lifetime acheivement memorabilia.

Couldn't they find a Music Conservatory or University to house it in their Library like Clark Terry did at William Patterson University?

The Ferguson Family is Selling the 'Maynard Ferguson Collection'The Ferguson family is looking for a buyer interested in purchasing the Ferguson Collection.
This includes horns, mouthpieces, MF's music library, clothing, books, awards, and more.
You can view this incredible collection at

themaynardfergusoncollection.com

I guess sometimes the money is just more important. . .

Oh, well . . .

(maybe I'll bid on the The First Valvecap of his Gold plated Monnette)

"Music washes away the Dust of Everyday Life"
Art Blakey

"If you practice...It will come" Field of Trumpet Dreams
jpetrocelli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume there are some things they are keeping. Perhaps they are down and need the cash. Perhaps some benefactor will buy it and then house it at some museum/college/conservatory.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure they kept things that were special to them, but consider how many trumpets, etc, Maynard would have collected over the years?

Now think of all of the Maynard fans that will have a chance to own something special to them.

Not everyone reveres "stuff" in quite the same way. And, for all you know, Maynard's will said "sell off the rest of this crap as you see fit."

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
jpetrocelli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read the website it says there WILL NOT SEPARATE the collection. They are selling the entire things together.....

Any guesses as to how much that will seriously go for??
cb3
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

Good for them. I know I want my stuff used(played on) when I die and will stipulate that in my will. If bills were left that needed to be paid, so be it. Either way, we should never judge anyone in matters such as this. I wish they would seperate some of the horns.
Of course you could just donate the money to the family and stipulate they keep the items with themselves if it really bothers you.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes, I see that it's going in one lot.

Which is not to say that the buyer of said lot could not keep a representative sample and sell off the rest.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Yammie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Range Reply with quote

Quote:
Any guesses as to how much that will seriously go for??

Rumor is it will go somewhere between $300-600K because it includes publishing rights to everything.
ConnCoprion
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo...
Apparently Maynard was a "Lefty"............

http://themaynardfergusoncollection.com/sports/pages/2234.htm

If I had a dollar for everytime I played golf, and some older gentleman cracked that I was "standing on the wrong side of the ball....." I could buy a Monette..........mp....
highnote
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The family already turned down $700k, so I think the target of what they accept is considerably higher then that....
mouthpiece - Yamaha EM2 (Eric Miyashiro model)
Flugel mouthpiece - custom Yamaha EM2 FL
http://www.seeleymusic.com
http://www.ecjo.net
one_trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where are we getting this information?

its time for some wealthy music appreciating individual to purchase it and donate it somewhere where it can be enjoyed by future generations.
gmaxe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the monette corp be in a position to make an offer? Serious question as I have no idea what they are worth. Dave had a huge love of Maynard, and of course designed several mouthpieces and horns for him.It would be really sad if thsi incredible collection was not available to all. It would be terrible if it went to ebay or a private collector. In the words of Indiana Jones.."it belongs in a museum". Could you imaging the bidding wars for one of Maynards Firebirds?!!
AdamsF2
Bach 38 Cornet
Bach 2C
ConnCoprion
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to sound rude...but while Maynard was THE MAN...he is also dead. Stuff is just stuff...what is truly worth while...is his music. Same with Miles, Armstrong, Baker...all the greats. No one per se cares about having their "stuff." But we all LOVE their music! Their music will last forever.
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnCoprion wrote:
I hate to sound rude...but while Maynard was THE MAN...he is also dead. Stuff is just stuff...what is truly worth while...is his music. Same with Miles, Armstrong, Baker...all the greats. No one per se cares about having their "stuff." But we all LOVE their music! Music will last forever.

Couldn't have said it better. The only thing that matters to me is that we have his recordings!
michael manthey
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnCoprion wrote:
I hate to sound rude...but while Maynard was THE MAN...he is also dead. Stuff is just stuff...what is truly worth while...is his music. Same with Miles, Armstrong, Baker...all the greats. No one per se cares about having their "stuff." But we all LOVE their music! Their music will last forever.

I won't get into a debate over it, but, there are some who do care about having the "stuff". Sure not everyone does, but some of us do. The same goes with those that wish to aquire famous paintings, rare coins, instruments etc. It's not about the "$" value ... but the sentament.

It would be nice to see Maynards "stuff" in a museum of some sort for all to see. Having been a guest at his house, getting Maynard ready for tours, it was an unbelieveable experience to walk around the house and see and hold some of those things in "The Collection". Where ever it all goes, or to who it goes, I do hope the "stuff" is able to be seen and appreciated.

BTW ... I have it on good authority that Doc Severinsen threw away a load of his old mouthpieces before moving to Mexico. Would any one liked to have had the oportunity to get ahold of one of them?

On a different note, YES, the best way to remember Maynard is to listen to his music and watch the video's ... he was one of a kind, and loved what he did!
Bob Reeves Mpc's
Kanstul Mpc's
'The Brass Spa' Practice Mute
www.ultrapureoils.com
Maynard Ferguson BBN Band
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Maynards stuff. Reply with quote

First of all, it's hard to believe Maynard is gone. For sure he's living in my house when I listen to the amazing recordings I have collected since the fifties, but more to the point, his family selling his collection of horns, etc. will create some unforseen problems they may not have anticipated. The music is being published by Sierra Music Publications. Is that agreement still in effect? The few rare horns that I've owned over the years and sold, are starting to be a problem with the selling of them yet again by the current owners. I mean, I sell a guy a horn in 1992 that Harry James gave me in 1968 and now am being challenged on its authenticity because some web site out there has it listed in their "official" dates of manufactor as 1972. If these things have value nowadays, you can bet money someone will want paperwork verifying everything. It's very much like fine wine...some shine em' and some play em'.
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns
"Live In The Studio" by the Tony Scodwell Big Band now at CD Baby
stevecass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen the will, but from personal experience I can say that family sometimes fights over what each member wants and then the other family member thinks they might lose out, so the lawyers come in and recommend that everything be sold. Unless he left it all to one person who has total control? Personally, I believe they may get more for if they auctioned everything individually on ebay, or some high end auction house. But then again, with the auction house, they want on average 30-40% possibly more. 20% on the selling and another 20% to the buyer. (even ebay will make 10-20% after listing/selling and paypal fees. At least the world would see them and I would no doubt believe a battle would ensue for much of the "stuff". ALSO Then finding someone to pack and send the items. DETERMINing shipping fees etc. It's a mission. And not to mention the attorney fees after the sale to oversee the sale. The only real benefit from hiring a high profile auction house would be to request a nice catalog be made to have everything in a book they can at least look at.

Not to mention, it's a big responsibility caring and housing a massive collection and can be a life burden. I would not want my kids to have to lug my stuff from place to place. And it may be best while he is still very fresh in the minds of his fans. After a period of time, as hard as it may seem, the want for many of these items will disappear. It is probably for the best. There may be more to the collection that each family member may have made a deal and each got something that they want to keep close to them. It's a tough situation. The family may be just settling the estate so it seems in one big lump. Whoever get's the collection will most likely separate it.

Yes, it would be easy to dispose of the entire collection to a museum or library, Maynard himself should have probably set that up..... but since he didn't if even one family member dis-agrees, they can force the sale. It's a rough situation to be in.

Certainly Maynard has unknowingly put a burden on his family or whomever inherited the responsibility, by leaving everything this way. What he probably should have done was tried to give most of it away to those he knew would put the "stuff" to use, or who appreciated it most, before he left for the after life.

Not to mention, if he wanted to turn the stuff into cash for his family, he may have gotten more for the stuff selling it himself. Does his family really know of the value? What may be valuable to one is not to the other. When Diz had his estate sale, the auction house mis-represented much of his "stuff". They don't know anything, everything is just a # with a final value fee attached.

My two cents is, the family should liquidate the personal tangibles and then sell the rights to the music separately. Tie them together and they will certainly get less. Or whoever purchases the rights will get the "stuff" for basically free. Because the recordings and rights are worth much more in the long run than the things. But whoever get's the rights, unless they are a SUPER FAN, will most likely liquidate the stuff they have to store.

AS FOR THE MUSEUM, I DOUBT very much they would let any individuals handle ANYTHING from the collection. What they would do is clean out part of a wharehouse and make some large crates to store everything in and keep a log of what they have. Then probably put his most famous trumpet on display. Those instruments will never make another note in storage, and if that museum ever decides they no longer have the room or funds get tight, they will just liquidate items over time. That is why I believe it best to spread his stuff out and bring the spirit of those instruments out in other players who will be inspired to have and use his equipment. And like Tony mentioned above, the authentication if broken up later would just be questioned. Which raises the issue that every item would then need to be accompanied by a letter of authenticity. Adding more "to do" for whomever is handling this sale. Certainly it won't be cheap to hire someone to sell things off individually either. They are taking the easy road by doing what they are doing. And I'm sure they have thought it over many times weighing the options. Whatever the family decides it's theirs to decide.

The recordings will never leave this world. I'm sure his sound is on many other planets throughout the galaxy by now.

maynard was my favorite of all time. One of the best performances I attended was his band at Hampton beach. He was great not only on the stage but off, and I was so lucky to spend a little time with him which I will never forget. I used to blast Chameleon every morning on my way to high school. Well, that and hells bells by ACDC. Great way to wake one up and start the day! Thanks Maynard!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: