• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bending Mouthpieces?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the purpose of bending mouthpieces?
Does this help take pressure off of the top lip?
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the purpose is to help downstream players keep their bells out of their music stand. Certainly cheaper than a Dizzy style bell.

Martin
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bent 7C MP when I was in HS but I didn't play on it for very long. I was also told once that it changes the shape of the opening to the backbore. The guy that I talked to that gave me the idea to bend mine said that he used to bend them for extreme downstream players to get their bell out of their stand and to take pressure off of their top lip. The kids would try so hard to play straight that they were concentrating more on that then on actually playing music.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

Yes it does. I am going to have a mouthpiece bent very soon. I recently talked to Ken at Warburton mouthpiece company concerning this very subject. http://www.warburton-usa.com/ On the Warburton website there is a picture of a guy playing a bent mouthpiece. It was originally done to get the bell out of the stand, but the player also realized it did take pressure off the top lip.
Warburton can bend the mouthpiece 10, 12, and 15 degrees. I'm sure they could bend it in any degree you want. Ken said it won't affect the sound or intonation. He also recommended that I play the bent on the gig and practice with a straight at home so my jaw doesn't get lazy. Good luck!

Jon Arnold
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add that I once used a bent piece in college, being a down-stream player myself. My jazz band director complained constantly about my bell being too low in the stand and when I attempted lean back to get the bell over the stand, I no longer could see the music well. So off I went to a repair shop to get the mouthpiece bent. In my case I actually got the idea from seeing a Shorty Rogers album cover and his piece was bent. Anyone notice the latest issue of Wind Player mag? You know, the one with Chuck Findley on the cover. You might also notice his bent mouthpiece.
Just for the record I no longer use a bent piece but I might consider it someday again, since my downsteam technique is still a part of me.
Larry Smithee
Mark Heuer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you guys serious? People bend their mouthpieces intentionally, and then play them? That's funny. Whatever works, I guess.
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mark. Where on the mouthpiece do they make the bend? I play a little down but not enough to bend a mouthpiece or bell. Like Mark said if it works for you Do It.

Good Luck,
Philip S.
MightyDon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-16 19:23, PhilPicc wrote:
I agree with Mark. Where on the mouthpiece do they make the bend? I play a little down but not enough to bend a mouthpiece or bell. Like Mark said if it works for you Do It.

Good Luck,
Philip S.

Yeh...I guess this all works..but I just hate to play a horn with the bell stuck down in my crotch. It leaves really messy looking stains...on my pants...that I have a difficult time explaining to my beloved that I was at the gig...and not the cat house.

Gee, there I goooooooooo. gitttin' off again. I guess it is perfectly all right if you want to play the horn...with the bell aimed at the floor. It worked for Miles... Can't knock it, if ya havent tried it???? Why not...
just mostly kiddin' about the messy shorts. )))))
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: