• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Yamaha "Z" , yes or no?????

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
etorres16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone..., Im looking for an all around horn, 4 classical, jazz, pop, etc. ... I'm just curious to know about the Z, and if anyone has played it out there(which I'm sure someone has). Would like to hear comments about the horn. Was wondering if the "Z" would be worth it!!!!! and of course, if you have any other suggestions, through them out there!!!!..., by the way, don't suggest horns over 1300 please, like the Schilke and so forth. And if your going to tell me to try different horns first.., don't, I've heard enough of that..., I just want some feedback from other players on good all around horns!!!!!!!
HighQ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, some people will say yes, others will say Bach and even more others will say something else. Thing is, you have to play it and like it. De Z is a good trumpet, Yamaha doesn't make any bad horns. If you like it, take it, if you're not sure, try something else and compare.
Horn of Praise
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people will say Bach, Yamaha or Schilke. And if money is an issue they will say a "used" Bach, Yamaha or Schilke.

This week I talked to a pro who said to me Bach, Yamaha, Schilke "OR" Conn Vintage One. At $1,395 it is right near your price range. Before you spend your hard earned money, give them all a try!!! That way, you won't have any regrets.

Happy horn hunting!!!

(Edited to correct spelling errors)

Getzen 700S Eterna Series

[ This Message was edited by: Horn of Praise on 2003-02-12 18:12 ]
davo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Z is a great horn, but may have too much edge for classical music. You can play it dark with the right mouthpiece, but there is still that "burr" to the sound. It's terrific for jazz and pops, but as far as I'm concerned, not quite right for legit.
TPTXC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Z will probably have too much bite for classical. I have a yamaha 6345HGSII that I use for everything. It has a big, dark sound, and slots really tight. Thats the only thing I dont like about the horn; its not very flexible. Trust me its not the mouthpiece or player... No matter what mouthpiece I use its still really tight. I played my friend's bach and my teacher's Leblanc and was amazed at how much easier it was to slur... that being said, i'll probably look for something else this summer before college, but I still think its a great horn for the money.

Brian Montgomery
Schilke 14b

[ This Message was edited by: TPTXC on 2003-02-12 18:46 ]
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the Z is not right for classical. Two players here have them and it just doesn't blend well with the other horns. They are great for jazz though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etorres16,

I'm not sure that the Z would be right 4 u!!!!!!... maybe you should consider a bach or a xeno!!!!!!....I've heard that it is a great horn for jazz though and is a nice lead horn!!!!!!!...Good luck in your search for a good all around horn!!!!!!!

email me at: trickg1@hotmail.com

[ This Message was edited by: trickg on 2003-02-12 18:58 ]
gzent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etorres16,

Welcome to TrumpetHerald!

I am one of a growing number playing the wonderful new ZeuS Guarnerius trumpet. You can read reviews on this horn at:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=6502&forum=20&5

and order through http://www.ZacharyMusic.com

Greg
etorres16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your own personal info about the Yamaha Z...., now how about the Mike Vax Horn, or the 8335RGS heavyweight..., any suggestions on these two for an all around horn?????
clarion89
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned a "Z" horn for almost two years. I find it to be one of my best purchases - I bought it used off of Ebay. I find it to be a very versatile horn even for classical music. I can get a dark sound out of the horn and a bright sound. This depends on the music I'm playing, my mental focus of what sound I want and the mouthpiece. I use the horn mainly for music theater, jazz and rock band gigs. I wouldn't rule it out of classical music, but on the same thought I wouldn't make this horn a exclusive horn for classical or solo literature. It's versatile - that's what the horn was designed for! It is all in your approach as well.
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a Z for a period of time. Over the motnhs, I found it increasingly "stuffy" to play, and too bright for Brass Quintet even with a deep mouthpiece. Some people really like them, but it didn't work for me. I currently play a Conn Vintage One, which is proving itself more and more to be a great purchase. It's working great for all styles of music from Brass Quintet to Orchestral to Big Band.

I would agree with Horn of Praise....that if you are looking for a good overall horn, then look at the Conn V1, Bach, Schilke and Yamaha Xeno or 6335 offerings. Make sure you find one that will blend with the ensemble when playing legit music. The key is to try them for yourself.
Best Regards,
Greg
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8335RGS - Yes!

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
I got a seconf hand Z quite cheaply in good condition.

It is very easy to play compared to my main instrument.
It is very supportive but does not have the oomph needed for playing classical parts.
It would be OK for solos but not orchestral parts.

I gave it to my son and it has improved his playing.
Plus I can always borrow it back......

Gordon
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a wonderful "Z" horn that I very rarely play! (No, it's not for sale!) I tried to use it for a while in classical settings and it was just too bright to blend with the bachs of the world. But man, I like that horn!!! Very open with a big fat sound. The problem comes at the higher volume levels--lots of edge. Let's be sure that we are talking about the same model, YTR-6310Z> Right? I have had more than one person ask about the "Z" and actually be refering to the Xeno, which, of course, pronounced "Zeno".

As far as an all-around horn, give the RGS a try as well as the standard model Xenos, the Yamaha 6335 and the Bach Strads. You might want to check out some of the Getzen customs, too. All of these horns are in a ball park from roughly $1300-$1600. Good luck!

Just one players opinion!
Trumpet_Mom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Z horn, which I bought specifically for the jazz band that I play in. I have tried some classical music with it, using a larger mpc, but it's still to bright, since it is a light-weight horn. I love the horn for jazz, big band and rock music, but, if I had to play classical and jazz, and could only afford one horn, I would go with a standard weight Bach or Yamaha. Even my intermediate Getzen Eterna 700SP sounds better with classical music. I almost bought a standard weight pro Yamaha, but since I play mainly big band stuff, I stuck with the Z. And I got a great sale price last year at http://www.samash.com - only $999.00!

[ This Message was edited by: Trumpet_Mom on 2003-02-13 09:08 ]
clarion89
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it, I'm taking my Yamaha "Z" trumpet to some of my upcoming legit gigs and see if all this brightness arguement holds any water. Personally, I am skeptical, but willing to put it to the test. I'll post my results later.
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Z horn is a copy of a Schilke B6 right? I haven't played one, but I've heard that they sizzle, and if it's a copy of a Schilke, then it's got to be a pretty good horn? I'm still saving for my P54, it should be worth every penny!
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm inclined to agree with the others-I've never personally played a Z horn though, so take my comments with a grain of salt. However, I know someone who owns one. GREAT horn for jazz and big band, but a bit too much "sizzle" for lots of legit stuff. The Xeno (standard, large bore, or RGS) should serve you very well, or the 6345/6335, again depending on bore-although I preferred the Xeno. Of course, what I really preferred was a Conn Vintage One. As many mentioned, the top pro horns in relatively the same price range are the V1, Xeno, and Strad. All are nice, but i prefer (loved actually the V1). Schilkes are great too, but I preffered my V1 even over that!

But I digress, I'm taking away from the real post and singing too many praises about my Vintage One. Try a few horns, and if set on a yammie, can't go wrong with a Xeno (or V1:))
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mateoshaw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't play a Z horn primarily, but from trying them out and hangin with Bobby Shew I think I could give some fairly good insight...

First of all, you can't play a Z like a regular trumpet. When Yamaha designed the trumpet for Bobby I think the primary concern was making the horn very efficient. Bobby suffers from emphezema ( sorry sp? ), so the horn has a tapered bore, small at the receiver and gradually opening up. Most guys when they first play it complain about it feeling stuffy because they are over-blowing it. If you back off it a little bit that seems to be when people get the best results. I think Bobby suggests playing low to high chromatics slowly when you first play it to get a feeling of where it slots and how to gauge your air.

I could never quite get used to it after playing my Bach for such a long time. I know alot of lead players dig the Z, and I have taken one out on gigs a few times and found it slots really well for jazz/bebop playing... Really easy to get around on. I would probably agree that it isn't the best horn for an orchestral sound, as said on previous posts. I guess bottom line, if you're one of these cats who doesn't know how to use resistance to your advantage, you probably won't dig it. But I know Bobby sounds killin' on it, and definitely not stuffy.

Hope some of this helped,

-Matt-
jamesfrmphilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can any one do a direct comparison between the 6310Z and the B6?
are they clones?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: