• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

new GR piece

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rch-tech
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my new GR piece this eveing. only got to play on it for a little while. Like the sound i have so far. i post more about it once I get to use it more.
Its a GR 64.7ms. In case you were wondering.
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us posted on your thoughts!!! : )

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
Johnathan Barnett
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would be interested on how this piece works out. What were you playing before?

[ This Message was edited by: Johnathan Barnett on 2002-01-11 07:49 ]
rch-tech
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been playing on either a Jet Tone DS aluminum piece or a Marcinkewicz 3-5*.

The new piece, I love the sound, feels a bit more free blowing than the other pieces.

It will take some getting used too, but i think I am gonna like it.
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a GR 66MS two days ago and I am totally thrilled with the sound, intonation and slotting. I had been having a great deal of difficulty trying to get results from a Jet Tone studio 1M. After email consultations with Brian Scriver he recommended a 66M or a 66S. The 66MS is bang on. The biggest problem for me now is that I can't put down my horn. I had been playing with way too much tension because the jetone was big but resistant. I would recommend these mouthpieces to anyone. Thanks Brian and Gary!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TptProf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
Please keep us posted with your progress. Brian Scriver told me that they have had players actually hurt themselves because when they received their new GR Mouthpiece, they were so thrilled with the sound and response that they overdid their practicing. I heard of one guy who had to take two days off after that!
Robert Keith
evolution
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi folks,

I read from trumpetplayers - former jettone user - that are thrilled of a new, more freeblowing mpc. I think You are talking bout my new mpc. Tomorrow I will order a Warburton and the MS.

have fun

johannes
rch-tech
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate to the overplaying. Yesterday (my second day with it) I played for a few hours...I could hardly play a thing when I was done.
As a comeback player (still working on that comeback), I haven't played that long in years!
Rob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2002 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update on my GR. After four days everything is still great. I chose this time of year for a mouthpiece change because things are a little slower gig wise. However I did play two gigs with the new piece. The gigs went great. My sound, accuracy and the ease of playing were vastly improved. I can't believe how much more energy I now have to devote to being musical. I know this sounds a little "utopian" but after years of trying to use a sledge hammer to insert tacks it is such a relief to find the right tool. Will update again!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: jgadvert on 2002-01-18 12:29 ]
David Oulton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a GR 67LX with my Wild Thing trumpet in the context of a community concert band, a couple of quintets, and the occasional piece at Church (with/without choir and organ). The band and quintet gigs are usually two hours long, with a short break in the middle.

The bite (alpha angle to use GR terminology) of the LX rim is not so sharp as the shallower cup models. I also have a shallower 67M for which I find the bite of the rim sharp.

My point of reference for praising the GR is my former mouthpiece which was a Bach 1.25C. I was doing well with it but having bought the new WT, I got curious about mouthpieces and went on a small safari. My mouthpiece safari was limited -- not a lot of access to a variety of mouthpieces; not enough money to buy them all.

Another thing I was very pleased with was the attentiveness of Brian Scriver at GR; he worked with me (asking the right questions) to help me select the mouthpiece. His level of customer service reflects well on the company, too.

David
(Formerly NCB)

edit: to add last paragraph.

[ This Message was edited by: David Oulton on 2002-01-14 14:41 ]
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I scorned the GR's at first, my Schilke 15a4 sounded much better, But when I got my SuperChops the schilke was unplayable for me on high range of the horn. I went as far as having a schilke 15 rim put on a reeves backbore, because I thought the GR's wouldn't work. My problem was that I was trying to make the larger GR's work, instead of trying all of them. So I bought a e65s, and it's golden. Good sound (though a bit thin in the midrange) and great range. Before this my old Bach was actually better in the upper range, but now the Callet is untouchable, it lights up on demand.

ChopsMcgraw
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a CHASE tribute group called Primal Therapy www3.sympatico.ca/hedge.hog
I play all of Bill Chase's lead trumpet parts on my GR Mouthpiece which has a GR standard rim. It is a .620" diameter cup, alpha angle of the GR M cup and volume of the GR MS cup. It is made for lead players who play the smaller diameters but like me, bottom out on a small volume cup with higher alpha angles. We lowered the alpha angle and kept the medium small volume. This piece really rips.
The sound is simply huge. Flexibility just great. Range, well I am playing CHASE music with it. You don't get any more demanding than that. As far as endurance goes, I had a 90 minute gig with Primal Therapy doing all CHASE and still felt great at the end of it.
Sure I work with GR but there is my testimonial on my GR PRIMAL 62 Mouthpiece.
Thanks.
Brian Scriver

P.S. jgadvert, If you like your Callet mouthpiece, I think you would LOVE a Northern Brass. Give Bruce a shout at http://www.northernbrass.com

[ This Message was edited by: B. Scriver on 2002-01-15 15:23 ]
rch-tech
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I am sure the GR's won't work for everyone. If that were the case, that's all you would see anymore right?

Anyway, I love it. I am getting great sound from f#1-a3. (Right now thats the limit of my range because I am also working out my new embochure.)

I think I got lucky...I would like to try other GR's but this one feels great as it is. Maybe I would try an S instead of MS just to see. But I am lovin it as is...
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think that the point GR is trying to make is that everyone CAN play a GR piece because they have scientifically calculated angles, depths, backbores, resistance, rims, etc for the the whole mouthpiece and will even offer to duplicate and/or make better your old favorite.

Brian Scriver was outstanding in working with me to make sure that I got the right tool for the job: to find a piece that I could rip with, yet still be able to play legit with if I had to. I'm still in the conversion phase with the GR 66s that I purchased but at the moment, it's the best thing I've ever played.

Give them a go. You won't be disappointed but make sure you talk to Brian first.

[ This Message was edited by: trickg on 2002-01-15 15:26 ]
John Miconi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pat,
Great reply. I knew that you would buy the GR after referring you to the GR website. Hopefully your hunt for that "Ultimate" mouthpiece is over too!!! By the way...you are gettin' alot of air time on this forum. Do you have a job??? LOL

John "Just Screamin" Miconi
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I have a job. It only takes those of us that can actually use our digits for things other than pressing valves a couple of minutes to post a reply to a neat post. Oh, and my company has a policy that it's ok to surf a little as long as you are still getting your job done. At least they are realistic about it.

By the way, thanks for referring me to GR and to this forum.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Jazzman885

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I add my own GR testimonial.
I have collected a number of nice horns since I retired six years ago, and have been on a mega mouthpiece safari (Bach, Warburton, Callet, Bob Reeves, Parduba, WT, Mark Curry, Marcinkiewicz and, finally GR).
I ended up playing my new GR65M with my Bach Strad horn and liking it a lot.
Then, last week I thought I would give the GR65M a try with my Callet Jazz horn, which I hadn't tried for awhile. The result was instantaneous and amazing. I couldn't believe that my trumpet playing could suddenly get so much easier and that my sound could get so much bigger/fatter and yet still have the sizzle that I wanted when playing in the swing band.
GR also made the matching 65 mouthpieces for my flugel and cornet, which work a dream. My safari is definitely over.
Regards
Alan
Rob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One week of my GR and I am still very happy. To answer "jgadvert's" question about how I use it here goes. Most of my gigs currently are performed with a Mariachi band. Now I know some of you might want to scoff at that but it gives me over 150 gigs a year and allows me to work on other aspects of music. Currently it is very slow which in a way is great because this allows me to spend an average of 4-6 hours a day in the practice room. But in the summer time it is not unusual to have 4 gigs on a Saturday. The gig is not very range demanding, high D is about it but quite often ,depending on the budget I am the only trumpet in the band. So when the trumpet section screws up, I can't look at anyone else and shake my head in disgust. The GR mouthpiece centres so much better than what I was used to that I feel that I am working half as hard as I used to. Also in the practice room, exercise that I had been plugging away at for a long time are now starting to produce results. I don't know how to explain this but to say I feel the response in my chops better. Sincerely, Rob Dickson, Canadian Mariachi.
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great response to my question Rob. Mariachi stuff sounds really fun. I include latin flavored songs in my bands song list. Although commericial (being commercial provides 100+ gigs a year), we like to play Tequila, Late In the Evening by Paul Simon and Cuba.

[ This Message was edited by: jgadvert on 2002-01-18 12:30 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: