• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Freeblowing MPC?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
evolution
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment I play an good old Jettone T2c (inner diameter 15.87 mm, quite shallow with a fat rim). I try to learn the Chicago/Adams-style. So I want a very freeblowing mouthpiece. With my flugelhorn I use a Yamaha 14F4 GP. This mpc together with my Getzen Eterna flugelhorn makes the Chicagoschool-style much more easier, cause the air flows very easily. Then I can sing through the flugelhorn. Sweet up to high C in p!
So I'm looking for a mpc for my trumpet with a allround-sound, that is as freeblowing as my flugelhorncombination and offers similar playing characteristics.
Any advice would be great!

Thx johannes
big brian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by big brian on Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Brian said, or maybe go for the Schilke 14. Yamaha bases their designs (or, at least their numbers) on Schilke, and Schilke tend to blow more freely than Bach due to cup design and the larger (26 vs. 27) standard throat (and perhaps larger backbore, though I can't say for sure). The Schilke 14 is reasonably deep; the 14B has a cup slightly shallower than a Bach "C" cup.

HTH - Don
Jim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think Yamaha mouthpieces play "tight." Giardinelli pieces seem more open because the aperture to the throat seems to be a bit more open. You could also determine the rim size you like and consult a mouthpiece maker like Reeves or Stork and have a more open piece designed in a custom fashion. Jim
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-10-17 18:04 ]
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Evolution,

The missing part of the puzzle is, what kind of trumpet are you playing (make, bore, etc.)?

It is a fact that each player needs a certain amount of resistance to perform his/her best. Part of the resistance comes from the mouthpiece and part from the horn.

Some people use a trumpet with more resistance and thus need a mouthpiece on that horn with a less restrictive backbore and deeper cup and rim diameter to compensate, like a Bach. Others believe in really free blowing trumpets (like the Wild Thing) and tighten up the resistance via the mouthpiece.

IMHO, not determination can positively be made without factoring in the horn's resistance.

Warburton IS a great choice in enabling a player to maintain the same cup depth and rim diameter and yet also allow him to switch backbores for different styles of performance and/or to allow him to use the same mouthpiece on different trumpets he owns in the same key that require different resistance levels to play properly for him.

For instance, I use a #10 backbore on my '39 Conn Victor cornet to give it the same playing charecteristics as I get with a #8 on my 1911 Boston 3-Star cornet. On my Bach 37 I use a Warburton #8 but on my Wild Thing I use a custom Warburton Q2 (around the resistance of their #5 or #6).

The bigger the number the more open a Warburton is. Go beyond the right size and your performance will dip just like it will if you go too "tight." If you go the Warburton route, once we know your type trumpet we can probably make a good reccomendation as to the approximate backbore you'd probably like. Also, you can contact the Warburton factory, tell them what you are playing on and your tastes and style and they can give you a great idea too!

Best wishes,

Tom Turner

[ This Message was edited by: tom turner on 2002-01-10 14:07 ]
evolution
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha 14B4 I have doesn't work as well as the flugelhornmpc or as my Jettone for me. It feels tight in the upper register at lower dynamic levels.
I played the z-Horn but lately I bought a Getzen 900H (ML bore) which is now my standard horn. It's more freeblowing, the sound is sweet and it fits for every occasion. Don't why it is so cheap.

Thanks for all the fast replies. You are really overwhelming. Nice to have guys like You in the forum!!

johannes
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The Z horn is a prime example of why you have to consider the horn so carefully in the equation! Its a nice horn but really, really on the "tight" in blowing charecteristics, just the opposite of your "free blowing" goals. I would have recommended a higher number Warburton backbore if you wanted to make it blow with a more open feel.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the other horn model so I'll defer comments to someone who is.

Best wishes!

Tom
evolution
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Getzen is the Eterna model with a tilted up bell. (The guys sitting in front of me when I play lead love the tilted up bell )

Thx for the advice!

johannes
Johnathan Barnett
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom is right about the Z-horn. I couldn't overcome the bore size and never felt that I could get the horn to blow freely. Mine was an early model Z which might be tighter than the new ones. I just traded it on a Callet Jazz, as soon as I get the horn I will let everone know what I think. I hoped to have it by now, maybe it will be waiting for me when I get home.
--------------
"Don't look down on anyone unless you are helping them up." --- Jesse Owens
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Z is quite a different animal. I have one and it took me some time to get adjusted to - almost a different approach. It is exactly like Bobby Shew says - you have to learn how to "back off" the horn, to use less power than you are used to. As soon as I found out how to do that, the horn was no longer stuffy at all - it suddenly sang with a beautiful sound and it sizzles, too. I like the Yamaha 11B4 with it.

As for Johannes´ Getzen, a Bach 3C might probably be a good choice. It is similar in diameter to the 14B4, but I feel the 3C is easier to play both down low and especially up high (ask Lew Soloff!). A good 3C is a very fine allround mpc, IMHO. The only trouble is finding a good one...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: