• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Louis Armstrong's horns

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevecass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father used to have so many pictures on the walls in his workshop, the old signed 8x10's of all his clients/endorsements/friends etc, though I asked him about 2 players who were not on the wall, Maynard Ferguson(though his entire brass section was pictured) and Louis Armstrong..(who did reside on the wall but not the usual signed pic, instead a pin-up out of a magazine). 2 of the biggest I ever heard of. I think I was about 15 when I heard the story.

In the early1960's my father went to see Mr. Armstrong, I posted in the past about this so should this be off a bit, there is a record of it somewhere, but it was said about that time that he was all washed up, his career over. So dad went and made him a couple of mouthpieces to keep him in the game, I think he was using a Giardinelli, or the Giardinelli he used later was based on the piece my father made him, vise versa?(having a hard time remembering these details) but my father said Mr. Armstrong said to him when dad tried to help him, "You don't change horses in the middle of the stream" and so my father left him with a couple of mouthpieces, or he went back a second time and there was a 3rd made but my father died thinking that he could have had one of his idols last longer than he did, in that if he would have switched to my father's mouthpieces, he wouldn't have suffered so much, and more importantly, keep him playing his horn. He was in a bad way at that time. So dad died thinking Louis never used his pieces.

After I inherited the mouthpiece collection from my aunt and went through the pieces/notebooks etc, I found the make up sheet for the Armstrong mouthpieces, the design with tiny sketches and I got curious and went to the Louis Armstrong archives in the early days of the internet and found 2 Louis Armstrong/Al Cass mouthpieces, HEAVILY USED/BEAT/BANGED UP and found that he ended up with his biggest hits of his life, (It's a Wonderful Life & Hello Dolly) using my father's mouthpieces. From what I understand, the pieces he used in public were different than what he used for recording. I am not sure why he never told my father.... but my father would have certainly died happier if he had known.

There were only 2 Giardinelli mouthpieces in my father's mouthpiece collection. One marked MF the other un-marked but mentioned in the notebooks and later verified belonging to Armstrong. There is a 3rd Al Cass which I have I believe may have been the first piece my father gave Mr. Armstrong and took back when he gave him the other 2.

Last edited by stevecass on Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Supercatfishdude

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Robert Rowe"]Somewhere ... ( ? ), I have a B&W photo of him with a Getzen Super-Deluxe.

Yogi Robt [/quote]

I can vouch for Robert, I have seen this pic of louis with a getzen super deluxe. I am currently looking for it so if anyone has a lead PLZ TELL ME lol. Also the pic i saw of him was in color and i last saw it about 3-4 years ago on google.

Thanks!!
scipioap
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time hearing this Blueberry Hill duet with Bing Crosby - check out Bing's ad lib at 1:50, cracked me up...

Link

1963 Martin Committee #3
1962 Martin Committee Cornet #3
1961 Martin Custom Committee C
1941 Martin HC Committee #2
1945 Martin Committee #2
1942 Martin HC Committee Cornet
1941 Martin IBICO Indiana
2012 Kanstul 1525 SLB
1977 Olds CT Flugel
Supercatfishdude

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="scipioap"]First time hearing this Blueberry Hill duet with Bing Crosby - check out Bing's ad lib at 1:50, cracked me up...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctGp_fTLi8s[/youtube][/quote]

HAHAHA that was pretty good! I love that song, too. Its so good.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

during louis' healthy and productive heyday, what diameter mouthpiece did he play?
Supercatfishdude

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I accidentally "unwatched" this thread how do i make it to where i get notifications for this thread....sorry its off topic
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
during louis' healthy and productive heyday, what diameter mouthpiece did he play?

Sometimes ago i've bought a Greg Black "Legend" Louis Armstrong mouthpiece. This is supposed to be the copy of one mouthpiece Satchmo used to play very often (he had the orignal from the Louis Armstrong museum to make a copy). It's a HUGE piece, i think a Parduba because of the double cup, around the 17mm+ size, flat rim, shallow double cup and small 28 bore. I can't make a decent sound out of it but i keep it as a collectable (along with the "tiny" in comparison Clark Terry Legend copy).
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locutus2k wrote:
chuck in ny wrote:

Sometimes ago i've bought a Greg Black "Legend" Louis Armstrong mouthpiece. This is supposed to be the copy of one mouthpiece Satchmo used to play very often (he had the orignal from the Louis Armstrong museum to make a copy). It's a HUGE piece, i think a Parduba because of the double cup, around the 17mm+ size, flat rim, shallow double cup and small 28 bore. I can't make a decent sound out of it but i keep it as a collectable (along with the "tiny" in comparison Clark Terry Legend copy).

If you ever want to let it go drop me a message.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locutus2k wrote:
chuck in ny wrote:

This is a copy of the Giardinelli mouthpiece they made to help him get the mouthpiece of the lip injury. The double cup is similar to the Selmer Special or Soloist he had played on for a while. I don't know for how long he was playing that Giardinelli as he seems to have used a Purviance finally.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Carly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Louis Armstrong's horns Reply with quote

skootchy wrote:
Just curious; What is the history on Satchmo's equiptment? What kind of horns/mouthpieces did he use?

Saw a poster with him holding a Getzen Super Deluxe but not sure if he played it he certainly would have endorsed it in the photograph.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locutus2k wrote:

Back in the early '80s I had a Giardinelli mouthpiece catalog. It sticks in my head that the Louis Armstrong model was described as having a shallow double cup and an inner diameter of 44/64"... which is huge.
J. Landress Brass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pictures of one of Louis' mouthpieces I have in my collection. I purchased it from the grandson of the editor of Time magazine from when Louis was on the cover.

Also we had one of his horns in the shop 2 weeks ago, a Selmer 19A in gold plate from 1948 that Louis presented in 1953 to someone. The horn is going to be auctioned off at Christie's in October.]https://www.facebook.com/JLandressBrass/photos/a.509769415769753/544967225583305/
646-922-7126
www.jlandressbrass.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:
Locutus2k wrote:

Back in the early '80s I had a Giardinelli mouthpiece catalog. It sticks in my head that the Louis Armstrong model was described as having a shallow double cup and an inner diameter of 44/64"... which is huge.

Do you mean that the reproduction of G Black of Louis mpc it was for sale at Giardinelli catalog , is the first time I heard this , I thought that this piece was custom made for Pops and I never had found one for sale.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giakara wrote:
nieuwguyski wrote:
Locutus2k wrote:

Do you mean that the reproduction of G Black of Louis mpc it was for sale at Giardinelli catalog , is the first time I heard this , I thought that this piece was custom made for Pops and I never had found one for sale.

Regards

The catalog had a section of "Artist Models," which didn't use the artist's names -- just initials, and just enough description of the player to deduce the player's identity. I'll miss one or two, but I remember the CT trumpet and flugelhorn mouthpieces; the MF1 (shallow), MF2 (medium), MF3 ("deep"), and MF11 ("trombone mouthpiece, used by the same artist on valve trombone"); the LA trumpet mouthpiece (the description of "LA" made it perfectly clear it was Louis Armstrong), the CM flugelhorn mouthpiece ("used on the artist's chart-topping hits"), and the BB trumpet mouthpiece (it took me a bit, but I believe BB was Billy Butterfield).

So don't look for a "Louis Armstrong" model Giardinelli mouthpiece. Look for one that just says "LA." I bought "MF3" and MF11" mouthpieces at the time and that's all they have stamped on them.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's, this piece is now on my watch list , I have the new replica from Berkeley and I really like it but the bbore is really huge and it probably works best on medium and small bore horns.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski is right.
I have that catalogue somewhere here and Pop's mouthpiece was quite wide.
It was described as "bright and edgy", if I remember correctly.
I will look for that catalogue.
R. Tomasek
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
nieuwguyski is right.
I have that catalogue somewhere here and Pop's mouthpiece was quite wide.
It was described as "bright and edgy", if I remember correctly.
I will look for that catalogue.
R. Tomasek

If is easy for you can you upload this catalog.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't upload.
Louis' mouthpiece as described in the catalogue.
LA-1 43/64" 17.50 MM shallow w/v-throat. Medium wide rim.

Originally designed for Louis Armstrong the mouthpiece he used all his life, bright, edgy.

There are descriptions of mouthpieces made for Pete Condoli, Bobby Hackett, Billy Butterfield, Bernie Glow, Maynard (3 of them), Clark Terry, Harry Glantz, and Mel Broiles.

R. Tomasek
stevecass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleanhead77@embarqmail wrote:
About 1973 or so, I was in Giardinelli's in New York where I used to like to go and try out stuff ( sometimes buy - they had Al Cass mouthpieces for about 10 bucks.) and meet a lot of other cats who hung out there. On this occasion Ralph asked me if I wanted to see Louis' horns which Lucille had left for a while for safe keeping. One was a Gold plated med small bore French Selmer balanced model with a lot of wear on it. Another was a more recent K modified one which showed use but not as much. A third was a bejeweled fancy thing which showed no use all. I don't recall the make, but Bob and Ralph told me it was a gift to Louis from, as I recall, the King of Thailand, who was a big jazz fan and played a little sax himself. They asked me if I wanted to blow them but I decided against such a sacrilege.
Regarding mouthpieces, in his later years Louis played a custom Giardinelli, but as a joke he always kept a large, deep piece in his case. When people asked him, too frequently, what kind of mouthpiece he used to get that powerful high register, he used to show them the big one as a put on.
On page 193 of Chilton's book on Louis, there is a letter from Joe Glaser, his manager, mentioning Louis played a Selmer trumpet serial number1436 made in 1932.

Hi. I just posted the page sent to the Armstrong archives upon their inquiry regarding the two Al Cass made for Louis Armstrong mouthpieces in the LA archives. Many more secrets and insight into the language of making mouthpieces will follow asap. Thanks & enjoy!

https://alcassmouthpieces.com/the-secret-notes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: