• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Turning high squeaks into NOTES.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeC wrote:
Have an old DVD of this set up but I've improved quite a bit since then. It still isn't half bad. Could send it to you via snail mail.
Why don't you post it so everybody can see?
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamahaguy wrote:
LeeC wrote:
Have an old DVD of this set up but I've improved quite a bit since then. It still isn't half bad. Could send it to you via snail mail.
Why don't you post it so everybody can see?

Because I'm not a kid and don't have the internet savvy to put the thing on Youtube. Plus the DVD was made a year and a half ago and I've gotten a lot better at making the thing work since then. A year ago I was only in the beginning stages of making the articulation going. Now it's at least passable.

And the DVD was largely clinical: You know scales, apreggios, simple tunes and stuff. Isn't the kind of thing I necessarily wanted out on the 'net at that time. These days I'd make a better one but a thief ripped off my camcorder and now I'm stuck...

Send me a snail mail address via P/Message and will send you the old DVD gratis.
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeC wrote:
Send me a snail mail address via P/Message and will send you the old DVD gratis.
I appreciate the offer, but I don't have one. And although I'm not a 'kid' (sometimes I wish I still was!) I do have a bit of tech know-how. It's not too difficult to rip a DVD onto computer and send it via email. I'd be happy to help, because I'd really like to take a look at it. I'm sure it would be beneficial not only to myself, but my students as well. I'll PM you.
Thanks,
-Dennis
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamahaguy wrote:
LeeC wrote:
I appreciate the offer, but I don't have one. And although I'm not a 'kid' (sometimes I wish I still was!) I do have a bit of tech know-how. It's not too difficult to rip a DVD onto computer and send it via email. I'd be happy to help, because I'd really like to take a look at it. I'm sure it would be beneficial not only to myself, but my students as well. I'll PM you.
Thanks,
-Dennis

Ain't it odd how the medium of the internet easily makes a sentence ambiguous? After reading my last post it dawned on me that Dennis could easily have inferred I was suggesting he was a "kid"...

Not so. Am just not as adaptable as the younger generation is.

Lemme see if I can dissect the DVD files which are backed up on this very computer.

I'm like a blind man trying to follow a road map!
herbievantetering

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing an upper register course and did the squeek and then my face just gets redder and redder and redder and then my neck and everything starts bulging and then the squeek becomes a gargling noise and then I get the shakes and faint and then the entire trumpet shakes at all pitches, ..., and after that I feel fine. Just the trumpet is definitely not my friend.

All at 'pppp' dynamics.
Trumpetstud
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:25 pm    Post subject: squeaks to notes Reply with quote

So how high do you get that it is only a squeak? I've heard some pros squeaking Triple C and a few notes higher. So are those always just squeaks? Hope that makes sense.
herbievantetering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was joking about a four month upper register course.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: squeaks to notes Reply with quote

Trumpetstud wrote:
So how high do you get that it is only a squeak? I've heard some pros squeaking Triple C and a few notes higher. So are those always just squeaks? Hope that makes sense.

-------------------------------------
Turning squeaks into real notes is only a good plan if you are using (or developing) the embouchure technique for real notes. If the high squeaks come from a technique of using excessive rim pressure, it's unlikely that real notes will happen.

The trick is learning how to change from excessive rim pressure and squeaks into reasonable rim pressure that enables the pitch and provides enough lip flexibility for a descent sound.

How high? that depends on the player's lip physiology and muscle control.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: