• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is this good or bad?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Welk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently using a 7c jupiter mouthpieces. I find it ok but im not totaly confortable with it. What would be a god size of mouthpieces for an intermediate trumpet player
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what is it that's not comfortable about it? Is it too small or to big, to deep or to shallow? These are things you need to ask yourself. I'm not familiar with the Jupiter line but I assume it's like Bach. If so go to a music store and try a 5C it's bigger than a 7C and it's what a lot of intermediate players go to after the 7C. Also try the 5B it's deeper than the 5C and gives a deeper darker sound. If you go to a music store and try out some pieces I'll bet that you either find one you like better or feel better about you're own.
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be helpful to know why you are not entirely comfortable with your current mouthpiece. This would help for others to make a good recommendation.
Welk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that i dont really know why im not confortabe with it. So i think ill go to store and try some, then ill know why i wasnt confortable. As 7c is my 1st embuchure, i cant rreally know but i think it is too small and not enough deep...but i cant be sure
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A deeper cup will darken the sound and is supposed to make it harder to play high. A shallow cup would make it easier to play higher but would make the sound ugly in the other registers. I would recommend you not to go shallower than a D cup at the present because, if you have to learn and strain to play high on a shallow cup maybe you should work on embouchure instead of going for a shallower MP. Think about it like this if you learn to play well all around on a deeper cup and you have a great sound all over why not do it. So here are some pieces I like because they are good for a nice sound. Try a 6, 5C, 5B, and 5 they won't be a whole lot bigger than the 7C but a little goes a long way with MPs. remember this is just a little guess until you specify more your problem I think all we can do is guess.
Yoinks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I'd jump all the way down to at least a 3C right away. A 5C is great and all, but probably not what you will stay on if you are going to get serious. There is no reason no to start developement on something that is closer to what you will eventually play on for good.
TptProf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a doubt go to http://www.grmouthpieces.com and ask them to send you their Mouthpiece Questionnaire. It is a very thorough list of questions they ask to help them determine a proper mouthpiece for you. Even if you just look over the questions yourself it will definately make you think and perhaps even assist you in determining what is best for you all on your own.

Robert Keith
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never tried a GR but the players who use them say they are great. I have played the Bach's and in my opinion there are better mouthpieces out there. Check out GR I don't think you will be sorry if you do.
j_rowe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with a Bach 5 rim??? Nothing in my opinion, I've been playing a 5B for a long time! Please note that the 5B has a totally different rim from the 5C - The 5B has a really sharp inner edge, with a rim that goes downhill from the up...the 5C is flat with a rounded bite....
Nothing wrong with that size! It's all in what fits the player.
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing off and on (more on) for 50 years and I still haven't found the perfect mouthpiece that suites every type of music. All of us are different out here, you have to find what is best for you. Before you all come back at me I have been in touch with GR and have their questionair and phone #.

Good luck on your search
Philip S.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: