• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schiller flugelhorns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:56 pm    Post subject: Schiller flugelhorns Reply with quote

Hi All,
One of the tuba players in the local community band plays a Schiller instrument. It sounds very good and appears to be well made with a durable case. Given that these are probably of Chinese manufacture has anyone actually played any of their flugelhorns? Are they of comparable quality to the very popular ACB doubler?
Thank you.
Chickynuggie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven’t played their flugelhorn, but I did own one of their rotary piccolo trumpets for a few years. The build was OK, definitely not of Scherzer quality - the materials weren’t fit quite as well, the rotors were prone to sticking no matter how often I cleaned the horn, the bumpers were not adjusted to ensure proper alignment of the rotors when open/closed. It was passable in the first octave, squirrely everywhere else. I’m 99% sure they’re made in China.

In short, you get what you pay for.

I don’t know about the ACB doubler, but the Dillon flugelhorn I’ll be selling soon is really decent for the price - I believe Dillon Music goes through every horn before selling it. If I hadn’t upgraded, I’d keep it. The tone is amazingly dark, almost trombone like with the right mouthpiece (even the one that came with the horn). Intonation is excellent.
For what it’s worth, buy the best you can possibly afford.
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the insight and advice. Much appreciated.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a student some years ago with a Schiller trumpet.

It was.... poor.

Another one a Euphonium that I vaguely remember was a Schiller - though I might have been wrong. It was mostly serviceable.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a Schiller bass trumpet lookalike (likely from the same factory, different stencil) for a few years. Mechanics and sound were soso, but intonation and response really were what made me sell it again (besides problems with my hand that made it difficult to hold). High A and Ab were basically impossible to get to speak, middle and low register were alright as far as response goes but intonation in the low register (C#, D, …) was all over the place.

The Schagerl Wunderhorn I tested once was orders of magnitudes better but the Schiller-type was roughly 1/6 of the Wunderhorn in cost.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: