• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Edwards Trumpets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tromba19

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Edwards Trumpets Reply with quote

So has anyone bought or tried out an Edwards trumpet i think its owned by Getzen but im not sure. If so do you think its a good buy or not.
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice horns. And yes, I'm fairly sure that it is a wholly owned subsidiary of Getzen. Check out their webiste at http://www.edwards-instruments.com/ Pay particular attention to some of the top artists like Leonard Candelaria, Jeff Curnow, & Graham Ashton that are playing Edwards. That's a pretty good endorsement right there.
PSU Brass Guy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Edwards Trumpets Reply with quote

I had the occasion to visit and tour the Getzen plant after I bought my Getzen Custom cornet. Brett Getzen suggested that I stop over. Well, I alotted about 45 minutes to an hour and ended taking four hours to try out all the different combinations of leadpipes, tuning slides and bell combinations. If you really want to customize and have a sound and repsonse for every playing environment, an Edwards will provide you the opportunity to do so. The staff their are excellent and have a precise program to find your ideal combination and horn. I suggest if you visit you take your Bb or C along for comparison.
2005 Getzen 3850 Custom Bb Cornet
2005 Kanstul Custom Piccolo
1977 Couesnon Flugelhorn
1878 Courtois Cornet
1966 Olds Ambassador
dizzyizzy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the June ITG conference, I literally checked out every C trumpet at the show. I kept coming back to the Edwards. Horns are such personal things, but for me, the Edwards was the one. It had the tone, slotting, eveything I wanted, after working my way thru the various leadpipes & bell configurations. I LOVE the horn! I had it given a bit of flash, with gold caps & various thumbscrews. I did the Generation II, as it sounded better for what I wanted, a more classical, rich sound. However, having said that, the Edwards has an adjustable "knob" (?) that either connects against the bell tube or doesn't (depending on how you set it, on or off) and that gizmo alone brightens & darkens, as it acts as a brace and "stiffens" the bell tube just a hair. I can't say it was an "economical" horn (ouch), but it was generally in the same cost bracket as everything else I was serious about, upper 2-low 3 grand. And, yes, Edwards is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Getzen, uses Getzen valves.
46 NY Bach Strad Cornet
OLD Conn 2B, 22B, 38B, 40B, 80A
Bach VBS196 piccolo (Eb/A/G)
Edwards Gen III (C)
Courtois 155-R Flugel
Harrelson 909 Custom
DLA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Edwards Trumpets Reply with quote

I too own an Edwards trumpet (Generation II) with 2 bells (silver & Rose brass) and 2 leadpipes for flexibility of blow and timbre. The valves are amazing and the rich overtones make this horn very special. My Gen II was made during Andrew Naumann's tenure with Edwards.....a true work of art!
Yamaha Custom Pic
Holton Flugel F-100
Xeno 8620 Yamaha Eb Sop. Cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: