• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best used cornet

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingSilverSonic wrote:
For a very long time I played with my vintage King Silver Sonic as I didn't have a trumpet. First, the vintage Kings are extremely good instruments and for some reason are basement bargin in price. Depending on mouthpiece you can play high and bright, or low and dark. It has a very nice cornet sound, but as I just mentioned you can alter this to a degree by changing the mouthpiece. At least give them a look if you run across one for sale.

---------------------I couldn't agree with you more-------------------------
A BADBOY-SADBOY STORY ABOUT A SILVERSONIC GONE WITH THE WIND!
After hearing me play at our Boeing band performances over the holidays...a co-worker friend of mine brought his fathers old Silversonic long model cornet in for me to "borrow" after over hearing me crying and whinin' the blues to everyone, that my old roadrage Besson was stolen.

He said he would drag down an old cornet out of his garage attic that I could borrow, until I found a replacement.
The next morning, he called for me to come upstairs, and get that old stinker out of his office.
Even before I entered his office cubicle....I could smell that old Silversonic about 20 feet away from the door.

He had kept it in the attic of his garage for about 40 years....talk about a rancid musty smellin, was wreeeekin' from that was oooozin' otta that old case, even before I tried to open the case. Pee-uuuuu!
(He hadn't opened it in years n' years, because the latch was broken.

You can imagine how BLACK-N-UGLY that old horn looked after I managed to get that case open after rescuing from his office.

WOW! TRUE N' AMAZING!!! Unbelieveable!!!!

(As luck would have it) that rancid smell...was coming from the residue from an old large bottle of valve oil that had completely leaked out and had covered not only the velvet liner, but also had slowly over the years... been slowly seeping its way down onto that Silversonic cornet.

I was BLOWN AWAY at how easily the valves pulled out of their casings. Not one slide was stuck. Even the top and bottom caps on the valve clusters were easily removed. The felts were ugly, and the corks were very suspect but still intact, etc.
The smell was soooo horrific and almost blinding...I quickly put the horn and case into a plastic garbage liner and sealed it with shop tape. Took it out to my ol Z car..and took off for the weekend.

This was late winter at the time....a warm afternoon sun. Even before I drove into the driveway I could begin to smell that musty rancid smell (like from the pits of hell) that was beginning to seep from that sealed garbage bag that contained that vintage old toot of a cornet.

I left the cornet in the garage..walked into the house and yelled "HONEY, I'M HOME!!!
You should have seen the look on my wifes face as she grabbed her nose--"GOOD-GAAADLY!" WHAT IS THAT SMELL....WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN????...YOU SMELL JUST LIKE "A DEAD RAT ROAD KILL!"GO TAKE A SHOWER!!!
Afterwards....
I took a small bottle of JOY detergent, filled a large bucket with warm water.. GRABBED MY FACE MASK, disassembled that old horn,
let it set for a few hours with all the parts.....
Cleaned the crappola out of tubes...etc.
reassembled it....
Took my bottle of Tarnashield and after about 7 hours of labor...(OUT IN THE GARAGE, due to the smell from hell....
I COULD HARDLY BELIVE MY BURNED OUT EYEBALLS!!!!
I WAS REWARDED WITH THE GREATEST SOUNDING OLD CORNET THAT WAS VIRTUALLY AS BEAUTIFUL AS THE DAY HIS DAD PUT THAT HORN AWAY DECADES BEFORE!!!
I couldn't put that horn down.... I was thrilled.
I even took it with me to church performance on that same Sunday. The only mouthpiece that was in the case, was an old Mt.Vernon Bach #1 somethin' (unreadable-due to plier marks from a stuck mp that must have taken place years before.)
The mouthpiece was the only thing that was in bad condition, and although the silver plate was worn badly, I couldn't ignor the voicing and sound.
This horn truly played as beautiful as it looked. I thought that my prayers for a new horn...had been answered. (I had been praying for Tom Turners old Boston 3 Star) however....
(I paid the price...since I am sensitized to even the smell of brass...my chops for two weeks later, looked like I had been sucking on an old------uhhh! never not go there?) I was having a bad case of the brass poision blues, before switching to another one of my old Besson mps.

I tried to begg-buy-n borrow that horn from Kevin....but after using it for about two months....
He asked for it back! He said it was an "heir-air-loom'?? Especially after he saw how beautiful this old horn looked, since my laborsome restoration project.
I kept begging him to take that horn in for a professional revamp etc...He then assured me that he was going to take it to my horn builder www.oberloh.com for a chem clean and new pads, corks...water valve springs, but sadly, he never did.
I learned later that one of his relatives had a young junior high "Yuppie-larva kid" that was goin to start playing the trumpet and wanted to go out for school band because his little girl friend was a clarinet player.

You can imagine how sad I was to hear a few months later, that that old Silversonic beauty, ended up on gym floor...from a fall off the bleachers at a school band practice.

(Why did I know this would happen?)

Instead of having it fixed, he traded it for a brand new shiney Jupiter trumpet at the local music store in Auburn.
After hearing that....I raced that old 300Z into Turbo-boost, down to the Auburn Music store to see if that bent up old beauty was still there?

NO! NATURALLY....IT WAS GONE....and resold even before the store closed that same day, it was GONE! And to think, it was traded in for a Shiney brand new student model Jupiter trumpet.
U WIN SOME AND LOSE SOME n' that lose really hurt.

I keep lookin' up...and maybe...just maybe, I will find another FIND again.
Now I miss both my old beater Besson Sov' and that beautiful sounding and playing, like new...STINKY-SILVERSONIC cornet....that tucked away for so many decades...JUST TO BE ABUSED MY A NEWBEE...WHO NO LONGER PLAYS IN THE BAND!
HE GOT A NEW I-POD AND A NEW GIRL FRIEND TO KEEP HIM BUSY?
Don't cry for me yet...
Perhaps I will find another beautiful old quality vintage horn again in the near future?
Yes, ABSENSE AND ABSESS, MAKES THE BRASS INDUCED BRAIN DAMAGED, HEART..GROW FONDER..n'allthatjazz.
oldlou
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: King cornets Reply with quote

At this time there are on ebay three King Master model cornets. One ofthem is a Silversonic, one an even better built and prettier Silvertone, and a Master Model which is currently bid up to the whopping sum of $37.50, with just over an hour to go. SIC EM!!!!!!!

OLDLOU>>
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this time you cant find at market place a Getzen eterna 850 this is a large bore horn(.464) is the "father" of the new custom model dont confuse it with the 800 model this is a very nice horn with two triggers and rose brass bell , i play that horn for many years in dixie/swing/big band gigs and is the best cornet i ever play incuding some eternas 800 , Yamaha heavy wall custom , Kanstul signature , Bach strad short model , DeNicola cornet , and have the best valves on the marcet and you cant buit for $700 i thing , thats a deal.(i am not the seller).

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
jpetrocelli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can definately understand not wanting to spend the money, but I spent 1200 on a used Schilke A1 and I couldn't be happier. The valves are amazing, the horn plays so even, and has such a rich warm sound. It is by far the best cornet I've ever played, and it's a Schilke, so rest assured the value wont completely plumet.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wouldn't go wrong with a Conn Victor (80A). Jim Cullum plays one and if you're familiar with his Riverwalk Jazz show on NPR you know he's got a great Dixieland sound.

I have one made in the 60s that plays bright or dark depending on the moutpiece I use. Steve "Dr. Valve" Wynans refurbished it for me and it's a great horn!

For more on the Victor, go to Christine Derksen's excellent site at http://www.xs4all.nl/~cderksen/Conn80A1946image.html

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually always lead off on these polls with the 80-A Victor, but the question was what is the best cornet.

The Victor is not the best cornet for the true cornet sound many folks seem to be after, based on the british model.

It IS the best all around instrument made, and is so chameleon like based on mouthpiece choice if you were only going to have a single horn, it would be (and is) the first choice for that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: