• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best used cornet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Best used cornet Reply with quote

I play mainly trumpet , but I'm looking at getting a good cornet. I need some help from all of you cornet players. What is the best, or maybe the top 3 used cornets under $850.00.

I want to use it for dixieland and maybe some 2nd trumpet solo stuff in big band.
Thanks,
Jim
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say the older Olds super cornets have a great sound and good feel.Valves seem to last forever too.

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
maeissin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.N.A.Mendez wrote:
Have to say the older Olds super cornets have a great sound and good feel.Valves seem to last forever too.

I've got an Olds Ambasador I paid 25 bucks for (and I love the horn). It cost me another $15-25 (can't remember -- I had 2 horns in, at the same time) to get a wrinkle out of the bell and I had to replace the case (which cost me over 50 dollars -- more for the case, than the horn). I also replaced the felts, corks and springs (something like $20). I had to get a few MPCs, since it didn't come with one -- check around there are lots of nice pieces from which to chose. The laquer was clean and basically something like 95%. The worst part was on the valve casing, which is now under a valve protector. There is still just one small dent left in the horn. Eventually, I'll have the Horn Shop do a "service." They said the valves are good for another 25 years, or so (won't need to be replated in MY lifetime) and everything else looks cherry. By the time this horn is "finished" I'll probably not have more than $150 in it and I'll have a wonderful horn that I'll probably, be able to pass down to my son.

No reason to spend that much for a horn. There are always hundreds of cornets available on ebay -- any of the olds are a safe bet. Get one in decent shape and get it to the shop and you'll be happy. Look for Olds, Reynolds (basically the same as the Olds), Conns and Getzens. There are always great deals and these horns seem to hold up well to the years.

Make sure, if you get an olds, that you get one that doesn't have the round pinkey ring. It has a non-standard leadpipe and won't handle regular cornet mouthpieces (I'm not sure what it takes -- is it a regular trumpet MPC?).

=============
1972 Yamaha 734
1950s Olds Ambassador Cornet
1930s Pan American Baritone
1930s Pan American Mellophone
Jean Baptise Soprano Trombone
dwindham
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a really nice cornet as a gift that I really like how it plays.

Its a 1965 Holton C301 (Galaxy?)

Pro model cornet I believe. Fixed 3rd valve ring. Mint condition and plays really nice. No idea what they go for as I haven't seen others like it but I would imagine it would be in your price range if you can find another.

I've got a post in here with links to some pics if you want to see them.

link to thread : http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57983

1939 Holton Revelation Model 45
1985 Bach 37 Strad
1984 Yamaha 6335S
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Best used cornet Reply with quote

bebop wrote:
I play mainly trumpet , but I'm looking at getting a good cornet. I need some help from all of you cornet players. What is the best, or maybe the top 3 used cornets under $850.00.

I like a used Getzen Eterna in this price range. It can be used in brass band, wind ensemble or dixie.

Dave
oldlou
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Good used cornets Reply with quote

I have a few old Olds cornets. They are all fine, but, I also have a King Master Model and a Reynolds Professional Model that just blow the Olds horns away in every way. I do have to admit that an Olds Super, Recording, or, Mendez model 'might be as good or better than my King or Reynolds, but my Olds Ambassadors or Special do not compare. This is NOT to degrade the Olds horns that I have, as they are fine in their own bracket. They are just not in the same class as my King, or my Reynolds, but, they were never intended by their makers to be in the same class.

OLDLOU>>
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard good things about the Reynolds cornet pro model. I've a student model Reynolds that plays very well.

bebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Cornets Reply with quote

How good is the Reynolds Comtempra compared to everything else? Or should I be looking at a newer cornet like the Yamaha 8335 or Getzen custom series etc.
Jim
oldlou
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Used cornets Reply with quote

The Contempora was Reynolds top of the line series of horns. It is by design known as an 'American long bell' cornet. It's tone is somewhat brighter than that of most 'shepherds crook' cornets, although the bronze bell does temper this a good bit. It is also somewhat longer overall than the S.C. horns. If a true British Brass Band cornet sound is your goal none of the long bell designs will do. The 11"-13" S.C. cornets are what you want. If you want to play traditional jazz like that of King Oliver, Adderly, Biederbeck, etc. the long bell was the traditional preference.

In addition to the above named cornets, the Conn Victor series, with the opera glass tuning is another fine choice.

OLDLOU>>
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aforementioned Ambassador cornets are great for first time cornet players, as they are soo cheap and plentiful, and have a naturally warm, rich cornet sound. The Specials are just as good, although the 3 I've had were not that much different than the Ambassadors.

The one that I had an absolute fit over was an Olds Opera. If I were a classical or legit pro, this would be a must have in the arsenal. It was worth every penny of the 1300 the seller was asking, just not to me at that moment.

The Conn Connstellation short model is another really nice one, although I am very biased about them. The King Master is just as good in the same way.

My first pick will always be the Conn Victor 80-A, hands down the most versatile instrument I own.
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a really good Yamaha Cornet for what you are willing to play. It's easy to blow and has a great sound. See if you can try one somewhere.

Stan
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asssume that you want a cornet that could be used in a brass band setting and also perhaps for solo work. You can really get a lot of good horns at the price point you are suggesting. On the low end, you can certainly try to find an Olds Ambassador that may be in decent condition. I've been down that road and I can only say that, in my personal experience with perhaps a dozen or so Olds trumpets and cornets, I've had a total of one good horn. If you have that kind of patience, go for it. If you have more money to spend, my first choice would be the Getzen Eterna or Custom line. Besson Sovereign, Kanstul Custom, and Yamaha heavy wall cornets are also worth a try.
derby_mute
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I have a great deal of respect for Olds Ambassadors, I think a better choice is a King Master or Super 20. They were pro model horns, unlike the Ambassador, and there's always at least one or two in varying condition on eBay. I've heard that the Yamaha student long model is good. I've only had experience with the shepherd's crook student model which I didn't like. I think the King 605 is a better horn for a shepherd's crook model.

If you do go with a King, try to determine if the compression is still good in the valves. Those from the 50s on back might be suspect, showing the effects of a lot of play.

Once you depart from the Olds Ambassador model the price for Olds cornets rises drastically. A Super or Recording will easily go into the $400-600 range now, used, in good condition.

Chris
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Once you depart from the Olds Ambassador model the price for Olds cornets rises drastically. A Super or Recording will easily go into the $400-600 range now, used, in good condition."

And when you play one you will know why.....

oldlou
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when you play one you will know why..... [/quote]

AMEN, brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OLDLOU>>
dwindham
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree. I never realized the huge difference in a student/intermediate/pro horn.

I think my Holton is a 300-600 horn and is more a pro model and plays circles around my Bach TR200.

1939 Holton Revelation Model 45
1985 Bach 37 Strad
1984 Yamaha 6335S
bebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: used cornet Reply with quote

I really looking for a cornet with a solid core of sound to it, and with good slotting. Would that be a short or long model? I realy don't want it as bright as a trumpet.
Jim
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since your original post specified dixieland and big band solos, I'd recommend either a Conn Connstellation short model OR an older Bach 37 Strad long model cornet. They sell cheaper than a Strad trumpet, and in general, are great long cornets. Stay away from all student and most intermediate model cornets, no matter what the vintage. Same goes for British brass band style cornets. They generally won't project well enough for big band use.
derby_mute
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: used cornet Reply with quote

bebop wrote:
I really looking for a cornet with a solid core of sound to it, and with good slotting. Would that be a short or long model? I realy don't want it as bright as a trumpet.
Jim

My feeling is, because of your needs (dixieland/big band), you'd be best off with a long model. I've played trad jazz for years, and after playing many different horns - used, new, ancient, long model and shepherd's crook - you can't beat the horns from the late 1940s to 1960s. I still stand behind my recommendation of a King Master or Super 20 for a pro horn at a (generally) bargain price. I've not had any experience with the Bach long model (except a 1930s NY that wasn't much), but if I was going to buy a Bach, I'd go for a Mt. Vernon-era. Selmer cornets are very nice, too, if you can get a K-mod. Beautiful valves although the bore size is a bit large (.470) for my taste. I have a reconditioned Martin Committee from 1947 that's not bad, either, although my current horn-of-choice is a pre-1942 Indiana cornet that plays like a dream.

Check out Dillon music at dillonmusic.com. Lots of used cornets with photos, and although I've never bought a horn from them I understand if you're not satisfied you can return it (although you pay the shipping both ways).

Cheers,
Chris
KingSilverSonic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a very long time I played with my vintage King Silver Sonic as I didn't have a trumpet. First, the vintage Kings are extremely good instruments and for some reason are basement bargin in price. Depending on mouthpiece you can play high and bright, or low and dark. It has a very nice cornet sound, but as I just mentioned you can alter this to a degree by changing the mouthpiece. At least give them a look if you run across one for sale.

Lawler C7
Burbank Benge C
Calicchio 1s/2
King Symphony 20 DB and Silver Sonic Cornet
Lawler flugelhorn
Member: Bugles Across America
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: