• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornet mouthpiece shank

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boofredlay
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking for a new mouthpiece for my Stomvi Picc and would like to know the difference in a short and long shank cornet mouthpiece.
Any suggestions?

[ This Message was edited by: boofredlay on 2003-01-03 08:00 ]
Mr. Stomvi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Stomvi 7E picc mouthpiece in cornet shank that works quite nicely in my Stomvi Master picc. The Schilke 11AX and 14AX fits well also. I have also used the Stomvi cornet shank out of their interchangable cup mouthpiece kit with success. I can also fit any trumpet piece by using the Stomvi interchangable trumpet shank leadpipe (both Bb and A) which opens up the possibilities of trying many more mouthpiece combinations.

Seth Moore

Billy Wilder
ScheidtDisturber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A short shank mouthpiece has a shorter shank.

But seriously... short shank mouthpieces are generally British-style cornet mouthpieces (e.g. Denis Wick, etc.) I don't recall ever seeing anybody play piccolo trumpet with a short shank mouthpiece.
boofredlay
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I was too vague in my question. However, I did not know that the short shank was a british-style.
I have a stomvi 7e and I like it. BTW thanks Mr. Stomvi for your info!
I guess what I want to know is, what is the difference in playing style?
I think I need to practice my picc correctly before I go trying too many mouthpieces. I was just curious and I could not find a mention of it here at the TH.

Eric
https://www.coroflot.com/boofredlay
ScheidtDisturber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure short shank mouthpieces are even available in sizes suitable for piccolo trumpet playing. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong on this, but the only big companies I can think of that make them are Denis Wick and Yamaha. The Yamaha models available in short shank style are deeper mouthpieces intended for cornet, not piccolo trumpet. I don't think you need worry about it. As I said, all the piccolos I have seen were designed for long shank mouthpieces.
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-10 00:30, ScheidtDisturber wrote:
I'm not sure short shank mouthpieces are even available in sizes suitable for piccolo trumpet playing. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong on this, but the only big companies I can think of that make them are Denis Wick and Yamaha. The Yamaha models available in short shank style are deeper mouthpieces intended for cornet, not piccolo trumpet. I don't think you need worry about it. As I said, all the piccolos I have seen were designed for long shank mouthpieces.

One can order any Bach mouthpiece with a short shank, to include those with the "E" cups and #117 backbore. I think that Schilke also makes shallow mouthpieces with short shanks, which would make sense since their piccolo trumpets come standard with short shank mouthpiece receivers. Stork picc mouthpieces may also be ordered with either short (cornet) or long shanks.

Indeed, Denis Wick and Yamaha are the only m.p. manufacturers (out of the larger companies) that make cornet shank mouthpieces with cup sizes/shapes suitable to achieve a classic cornet sound. Everyone else sells what amounts to trumpet mouthpieces with cornet shanks and tries to pass them off as regular cornet mouthpieces. *I'm not including some of the smaller or custom manufacturers*. Most of them make true cornet mouthpieces with cornet shanks, shallow picc m.p.s with either cornet (short) or trumpet (long) shanks in addition to all varieties of trumpet and flügel mouthpieces. Except for Stork- last I checked, they don't make "true" cornet mouthpieces.
boofredlay
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, that is what I wanted to know.

Eric
ScheidtDisturber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeroman --

Are we talking about the same thing here? (It occurs to me that I may be off in my own little world on this one... or maybe it's just you ) I am using the terms "short" and "long" to refer to different lengths of cornet mouthpiece. You appear to be using it to refer to trumpet vs. cornet mouthpieces, period. Am I right about this, and did I completely misconstrue the original poster's intent? What's going on?!?!?!?!

To clarify: some cornet mouthpieces are shorter than other cornet mouthpieces. Bach cornet mouthpieces are what I would call "long shank" mouthpieces, and I see no mention of other lengths in their mouthpiece guide. Wick cornet mouthpiece are "short shank". Yamaha makes models in both lengths. One might also refer to these designs as "British" and "American".
boofredlay
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking on the Mouthpiece Express website and they had two types of "Cornet" mouthpieces; Short shank and Long shank.
I am aware that the Trumpet and Cornet mouthpieces are different. I was just curious as to the difference between the Cornet mouthpieces and if they played differently or what. I believe I got the answer I was looking for.

Thanks for your concern.
Eric
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you are right. I totally stuck my foot in my mouth on this one. I was the one who misunderstood the poster's intent. I saw the word "shanks" I was thinking short=cornet, long=trumpet. I don't play cornet, and I'm pretty much in the dark when it comes to subtleties involved in playing the cornet.

In the immortal words of Gilda Radner (may she RIP): "NEVER MIND!"
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero:
Stork might not "market" a mouthpiece as a "true" cornet mp, but if ya take a Stork Vaccianno cornet B cup and open the throat to a 24 drill, you'd have a pretty classic sounding cornet mp! Stork Vaccianno cups are a bit more V shaped than others, and the B is deep!
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-10 14:41, pfrank wrote:
Zero:
Stork might not "market" a mouthpiece as a "true" cornet mp, but if ya take a Stork Vaccianno cornet B cup and open the throat to a 24 drill, you'd have a pretty classic sounding cornet mp! Stork Vaccianno cups are a bit more V shaped than others, and the B is deep!

Thanks for the tip. I also remembered that Bach makes a very deep "V" cup with 20/25 throat and backbore combination. It seems to be available with the #5 rim as a stock model, and I've never heard it brought up in conversations about cornet mouthpieces.
Richard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Richard on 2002-10-22 01:38 ]
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have many "traditional/legitimate" cornet mouthpieces and the deepest one I have by far is a Stork 1.5A deep V cup mouthpiece. It is not my favorite overall piece, but for that turn of the century or british brass band sound, it is hard to beat.
Richard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Richard on 2002-10-22 01:38 ]
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boofredlay,

You can get cornet regular & short shank and also trumpet regular & short shank. Blackburn piccs take trumpet short shank.

HTH,
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
boofredlay
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know that. Thanks a bunch.

Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: