• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best Latin music trumpet player?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Best Latin music trumpet player? Reply with quote

I don't know of too many Latin players, but from what I've heard so far, I'd have to say it's a tossup between Brian Lynch, Jesus Alemany, or Manuel "El Guajiro" Mirabal.
Felix c
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Alemañy, Guajiro and Victor Paz. I wish to add my Puerto Rican Monsters.
Firts the passed away;
Juancito Torres
Mario Ortiz
Eddie Feijoo.

Then the alives;

Elias Lopes
Perico Ortiz
Elliot Feijoo
Luis Aquino
Roberto Ramirez
Gandara

hilgenboogie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check this thread in the jazz/commercial forum http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36003 A lot of Latin trumpet players are discussed there.
Best,
Matt
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

This is mainly a opinion question based on personal taste and stuff like that. But being latino and growing up listening to the music and going to gigs in panama with my father (a proffesional salsa musician), I've always been around this kind of music. And this may seem like a very shallow answer and no disrespect to the many great players out their today but in my opinion Arturo Sandoval is still probably the best latin trumpet player in the world by a long shot. Arturo has every single style of latin music mastered and just has that perfect aggressive soulful sound. And he can give it to you in so many different ways. And also some of those ideas that you hear in his latin music solos are pretty creative... you shouldn't judge somebody by how many records they've sold but come on.. All I have to say is "Hot House"..... He tore the house down with that recording...

And actually when I was hanging out with Winston Byrd he let me listen to some old recordings of Arturo and the cat was on fire.. Arturo was so full of ideas and energy that it was insane... From listening to all those old albums i actually think that Arturo did his best work in Cuba.

But yeah i really like Arturo's latin playing.. and his live shows... I'll never forget the Saint Louis Jazz festival he had a park of 1000+ people up and dancing to his music, it was so much fun...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Pedro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great list Felix, as it has some of my favorite players! I can "feel" the "Salsero" in you hermano! Jorge, I agree with you 100% in that I think some of Arturo's best playing was in Cuba!
Felix c
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He fiends I remenber another Cuban Trumpeter . Is Jorge Varona. Another Real Monster. he plays also with Arturo at IRAKERE.
Also I hr that Guajiro Mirabal record his first solo album last year Does any have hear something?
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix, do you know who were the guys playing w/ los Van Van in the early 1990s? they were monsters (Cuban monsters, not Puerto Rican monsters).

https://vectortrio.bandcamp.com/
_gnocchi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about Eddie Feijo, Juancito and SOME of the others since I played 2d or 3d trumpet along side many of them in many Puerto Rican TV shows and hotel bands in the late 60s-70s, but sorry to say that none could really play jazz. I realized this after having moved to the states permanently in 1980 and having studied w/great jazz players here in DC (Scott Holbert, Tom Palance, and other local DC legends). If you have access to the 1970s tapes of the Luis Vigoreaux TV shows, I was the 2d trumpet player in that select show band. The great lead player was Yuyo (El Indio) Martinez and of course, Babo Gimemez himself. They called me "El Italiano" back then....
CalletJazz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Michael Mossman and Ray Vega? I think they play great latin solos!
_gnocchi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES!!!! MIchael Mossman is one of the greatest (but underated) Jazz soloist I have ever heard! Although I have NOT heard anything by hiom as a latin jazz soloist, so is Ron Stout.....AMAZING!!
PINCHUNO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Latin Tpts Reply with quote

mulligan stew wrote:
Felix, do you know who were the guys playing w/ los Van Van in the early 1990s? they were monsters (Cuban monsters, not Puerto Rican monsters).

Los Van Van have only ever used trombones violins and a flautist.
PhatMon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont forget Gabriel Rosati, Louis Valizan, "Choclate" Armenteros.

Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Latin music trumpet player? Reply with quote

the chief wrote:
I don't know of too many Latin players, but from what I've heard so far, I'd have to say it's a tossup between Brian Lynch, Jesus Alemany, or Manuel "El Guajiro" Mirabal.

Earl Gardner is great at Salsa but I doubt if he is doing it these days.

ObamaCare, a massive government takeover, a measure destroying jobs and the economy, a law designed to enslave the American people, an instrument of tyranny in the hands of criminal elitists.
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention Claudio Roditi.
Paul Tomashefsky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Mossman! check out the Yamaha Artist web site for FREE clinic PDF files!

go to:
http://www.yamahaartistmodel.com/index2.html

then click on Launch on the bottom left hand ccccccccorner and then scroll down the list to Michael Mossman!

Claudio Roditi

"Music washes away the Dust of Everyday Life"
Art Blakey

"If you practice...It will come" Field of Trumpet Dreams
_gnocchi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! Didn't realize he was such a young cat...he is a great jazz trumpeter!!! Thanks for sharing.
widehorn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: BEST LATIN MUSIC TRUMPET PLAYER? Reply with quote

You know guys.. in the past decade a lots of confusion has been made... Many times jazz trumpeters have got into latin music.. in an album.. or a live project... and they become latino players at once!?..
I don't believe so..
We must admit that there are already many players dedicating all their life to latin american rhythms, composition and teaching..
Perhaps underrated :
Luis Valizan, Claudio Roditi, Felix Chappotin, Jesus Alemany, Gabriel Oscar Rosati (check his latin books on line), Julio Melendez, Jorge Varona etc...
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to explain, but hearing a slight 'slower' rhythm at the upper register is... awe inspiring -- within the Latin music genre. The first player is an example of (Alemany for decades)...badasss player whatever his name is:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVbFXUXDtVk
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saludos a todos !
Just a question, what s the name of the trumpet player that came for a descarga during the concert of Van Van in Puerto Rico, in 1998 i think?
A very tall black man. There were also Giovanni Hidalgo, Juan Luis Guerra, etc during that descarga, if i remember well.
Muchas gracias:)
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'...whatever his name is'

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z_-4qVjtro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: