• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lynn Nicholson (Maynard Ferguson Lead player)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Tomashefsky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Lynn Nicholson (from an e-mail) sent out by Dave Monette Reply with quote

Hey! here is an e-mail I received from Dave Monette concerning Lynn Nicholson__ Thought you might want to see it!

Thanks for the note.
Lynn is not playing for a living - but he does teach occasionally and picks up the horn for the fun of it from time to time. He lives in Las Vegas where he has a steadycam business. We have kept him up to date with our PRANA mouthpieces, which he seems to enjoy when he does play.

Thanks,
Dave Monette

Dear Sirs,
I saw a photo on The Trumpet Herald web page of "Lynn Nicholson" is he currently a client of Monette? and where is he playing / living? these days... I was curious because I really hadn't seen or heard about him
since his days with Maynard Fergusn...
Thank you.

Sincerely,

Paul Tomashefsky
tomasheP@mec.edu

"Music washes away the Dust of Everyday Life"
Art Blakey

"If you practice...It will come" Field of Trumpet Dreams
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I saw Lynn was in 1989. He was flown down to check out the band I was touring with while we were in San Diego. He was a student of Dr. Donald S. Reinhardt (Lynn was the one that told me of Doc Reinhardt's passing) and Bill Adam. He actually went through Bill Adam's Arban routine with us when he came down (an impromptu trumpet lesson, very cool). Lynn and his wife at the time had a very successful custom ceramic tile business. The work in Vegas was drying up so that was what he was doing at the time. I have also learned that through a friend of mine that he is indeed a steady-cam operator and doing quite well with it.

I hope he can find a way to start playing again. I remember back in the 70's standing next to him while he was in the audience playing "Hey Jude" with Maynard. He went up to the double Eb, big as life, without even flinching. It was absolutely beautiful...

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.
Hubert H. Humphrey
US politician (1911 - 1978)
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I hope he can find a way to start playing again. I remember back in the 70's standing next to him while he was in the audience playing "Hey Jude" with Maynard. He went up to the double Eb, big as life, without even flinching. It was absolutely beautiful...

Yeah, I experienced the same thing quite a few times back in high school. What an awesome player.

Laugh while you can, monkey boy . . .
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
gio trumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time i see him, Lynn has a new PRANA mouthpeice. And everytime, it sounds even better.... Dave Monette is amazing when it comes to that.
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: To Clarify... Reply with quote

Lynn was never the lead player of record on Maynard's band. That spot was held by Stan Mark during Lynn's brief tenure. Lynn was given some solo space in concerts, most notably on a brief segment of the MacArthur Park tune. He also was given latitude to do a lot of high note embellishment on charts, but that's not lead playing technically speaking.
Lynn's only appearance on a MF recording is Chameleon. In the original liner notes you'll find "note the screamers from 22 year old Lynn Nicholson," on LaFeista. The two LP recordings of MacArthur Park are found on MF Horn, and Live at Jimmy's, which were 100% Maynard. Brief segments of the tune are included in the "MF Hit Medley," which appeared on the Big Bop Noveau CD, which was also played by MF. Today the entire solo part of the Medley is played by his current lead trumpeter, Pat Hession. Lin Biviano was on lead for the Live at Jimmy's recording. Maynard usually gave him the brief solo in concert on the tune, which Lynn then inherited.
Holton MF3
Lead Trumpet - My Basement Jazz Orchestra
gio trumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stan was lead

Last edited by gio trumpeter on Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Lynn/Stan Reply with quote

gio trumpeter wrote:
Stan Mark was "lead". But Lynn would play anything from E up for Stan.

Another piece of false MF lore. Stan played the entire lead book, though on the road charts were passed around on occasion to keep it interesting for all concerned. On the LP's Stan played all lead, with the a couple of exceptions: Dennis Noday on I Can't Get Started (Chameleon LP), despite the CD liner notes being revised, and Hobie Freeman on As Time Goes By (Storm LP), both of which were called out in the liner notes I believe.

Stan's range has been questioned ad nauseum on the MF Forum, more as a means of insulting his playing. I have recordings of him playing lead and solo work in several bands prior to his going MF, and he played consistently to high G. With Maynard's band I heard him live play up to double C , though the charts generally topped out at high G. The first few seconds of "Birdland" for example have him on a sustained high G, and he nailed it for years on end, night after night. On "Gospel John" from the Chameleon LP, the lead part on the shout chorus goes up to high F#, which he executes effortlessly. All while Lynn was in the section. Stan was never the screamer that guys like Lynn were, but as a lead player he was solid as a rock up to high G.
Holton MF3
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met Stan in the late 70's, early 80's during a hiatus he had with Maynard. I set up a trumpet clinic at Wichita State in which he demonstrated his playing. He was talking about knowing your chops and what notes feel like before you play them (a tenant of Dr. Donald S. Reinhardt, with whom he was a student of). Without any warm up he played right up to a double C. Regardless of what Stan is doing now, he had some serious chops back then.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.
Hubert H. Humphrey
US politician (1911 - 1978)
MackTheSpoon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lynn's only appearance on a MF recording is Chameleon.

I believe he's also on the M.F Horn III album.
Bill Bryant
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Lynn/Stan Reply with quote

MF Fan wrote:
Stan's range has been questioned ad nauseum on the MF Forum, more as a means of insulting his playing.

Why on earth would anybody want to insult Stan's playing? He's a wonderful musician.
Solar Bell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the bashing of Stan Mark, who plays better than probably 99% or more than of all us here......
I thought I'd post this article by Vaughn Nark to let the uniformed and those of who DO know, just what a lead trumpeter IS!!

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=366777#366777

-cw-

Here's to you, Stan!!! A GREAT PLAYER
CRJAZZMAN
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maynard opened our new auditorium when i was a college lead player back in '83.
Stan Mark put on the master class.
He played the opening 3 notes of "Birdland" for us, which end on dbl B.
He played it on EVERYONES trumpet.
It was absolutely HUGE.
EVERYTIME was as good as the last.
The point was not to get caught up on your equipment, but to get a mpc you can play....and learn to play the trumpet.
I am a witness that Stan Mark Played the lead on that gig and again the next time I caught the band.
The man don't need nobody's help.
Understood?
King Legend .462 in silver
Bobby Shew Lead and Flugel mpcs
CRJAZZMAN
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear....I think Lynn's playing kicks butt.
No problems there.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maynard opened our new auditorium when i was a college lead player back in '83. Stan Mark put on the master class. He played the opening 3 notes of "Birdland" for us, which end on dbl B.

Hmmm. Matt, was this a different version of Birdland? First three notes of the standard version are B, D, G.

But I agree with you about Stan Mark. Could you imagine how long a guy would last playing lead in Maynards section if he didn't have a great range? The idea that Stan had/has mediocre chops is just ridiculous.

Jeff
gio trumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not insulting anyone. Again, I'm not saying you guys are wrong.

Last edited by gio trumpeter on Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MackTheSpoon wrote:
Quote:
Lynn's only appearance on a MF recording is Chameleon.

I believe he's also on the M.F Horn III album.

MF Horn III Trumpets were:
Alan Downy, Mike Davis, Tony Mabbett, and Terry Noonan.
Holton MF3
CRJAZZMAN
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: My mistake Reply with quote

Regarding the opening Birdland lick........I know he said he was playin' a B but the recording don't lie. B-D-G it is.
But........that was over 20 years ago.......
I guess I don't know just what he was playin' but I do remember him playing a lick that ended on a dbl B and doing over and over and over.
He did miss the B one time and then said something about it not being a horn he likes very well. He then schooled himself and said "no way I'm starting mind games with my self" and played the lick and nailed the B anyway.
LoneWolf2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is b-d-g,i have the piece,we marched it this year,and he just took it up an octave,as did he most parts of it.
Paul Tomashefsky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Mark and Lynn Nicholson are BOTH Awesome players! I was able to catch Maynard at a "Shopping Mall" of all places on Long Island New yourk back in 77 or 78? I think his Conquistador album came out then? anyway they did the audience thing when ALL the trumpets come out into the audience? It was Dennis Nowday, Stan Mark, Ron Tooley? and Joe Mossello? Stan was Kickin' it!!!! he was screamin' with Maynard and all the guys___ I think that concert inspired me to go home and practice my A___ off! No matter what anybody says of Maynard, Stan, Bill Chase, Bud Brisbois, These guys ALL took it to another level of playing! Amen___

"Music washes away the Dust of Everyday Life"
Art Blakey

"If you practice...It will come" Field of Trumpet Dreams
gio trumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left blank.

Last edited by gio trumpeter on Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: