• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Valve Guard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use the Bach brand valve guard on my trumpet and never had any problems with it discoloring or tarnishing the silver, but was unhappy with it due to the fact that because of its thin-ness, I had to continually stretch it to keep it tight and because of the way it was cut, it exposed various parts of the horn. Eventually, it got stretched to where it wouldn't velcro shut. I bought a Yamaha brand valve guard (stay away from these) and within a month, both sides of the valve casings were tarnished horribly. Why would the Yamaha do this and the Bach not? Most of the tarnish has worn off due to contact with my hands. What can I do to get the remaining off, and what can I use, so that it will remove as little silver as possible. I normally use Wright's Silver Cream to polish my horn. I'm reluctant to use the Yamaha one again so, is there a brand someone could recommend that won't tarnish the horn?

Thanks.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
trptdaddy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2001 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that you are using a Yamaha product on a Bach instrument. Cross contamination occurred. Just kidding. Valve guards are made by various companies and Bach, Yamaha and others buy them and have their names stamped on. You can find the same guards with the names reversed or no names at all. More than likely the "tarnish" on your horn is part of the black dye from the leather. Some guards have three layers. The leather, a thin plastic sheet to keep out moisture and then a velvet like layer that goes against the instrument. Leather Specialties has three models that range from your basic guard to one with flaps and wraparounds which cover every part of the intrument the hands touch. They are available from Osmun Music. They have the three layers, but even then the black leather edges will leave black marks on the silver unitl the excess dye gives out (dies). A friend of mine washed his with mild soap and water and has not had the problem since.

Bottom line is, if you have acidic hands and need the protection the guards provide, you might need to experiment with a few to see which will "bleed" and which won't.
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may help - check out these guards...

http://www.leatherspecialtiescompany.com

-marc
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago a plain hankerchief worked.

Seems simple to me. Best of luck;
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
Erin C
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was your horn a Bach?

I have a Bach valve protector but not a bach horn, and the cut doesn't exactly work, but it's pretty close. A friend of mine, however, has the same valve protector but on a Bach horn and it works just fine. However I'm talking about the Bach lace-up ones, and you said yours was velcro... hmm.

Erin -iii<
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
edtaylor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some leathers can be a problem due to the tannic acid used in the tanning process. I have a Randall hunting knife that was advertised as having a vegetable tanned sheath. I have no idea what that entails, but the knife just keeps appreciating in value with no blade pitting.
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Marc said -- check out Leather Specialities; they make a variety of different ones, from basic to one which has padding virtually every place you'd touch the horn. Reunion Blues also makes good (basic) guards. A big difference between these and the cheapies is an additional plastic liner sewn in between the leather exterior and interior padding (felt or whatever) which acts as a vapor barrier. So, moisture and what have you from your hands won't seep through the guard to reach your horn.

HTH - Don
Mark Heuer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to Wayne Tanabe at The Brass Bow. He sells one that is lined and will not tarnish or discolor your instrument in any way. I use it. It works great.
KevinInGeorgia
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" this may help - check out these guards...
http://www.leatherspecialtiescompany.com
-marc"

I second this. I use them on all my horns. They are Designed/Made by one of the trumpeters from the Atlanta Symphony. I use the ones that are lined & attach with Velcro. Just remember to take them off occasionally & clean the area where the valve guard is.

[ This Message was edited by: KevinInGeorgia on 2002-08-27 11:32 ]
edtaylor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw on TPIN some time ago where a maker of leather guards was moving operations to Pisgah Forest, NC which is just down the road a couple of miles from Brevard, but I forgot the name.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: