• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Brahms 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big brian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 9:30 am    Post subject: Brahms 1 Reply with quote

Last edited by big brian on Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
PC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

I got to play that one. Here goes transpo-wise (as far as I can remember, others will correct if necessary):

1st mvt: C trumpet, 1st part lying between low C and G on the staff, quite easy blowing.

2nd mvt: trp in E, but very few notes (I think just written G in staff and C in staff). Very quiet exposed ending, might be slightly tricky intonation and attack-wise.

3rd mvt: famous excerpt with trp in H (B natural). Small melodic moment together with horns which requires some running through to perfect. Couldn't resist challenge of playing with rotary Bb trumpet, so much better sounding unison with horns although slight workout for fingers! range written E bottom of staff to G on staff, with nice low written Gs below staff in second part.

4th mvt: back to trp in C, easy part until the middle where there is a string of Gs on the staff crescendoing, which might require some blow. Very nice choral climax with horns and bones where traditionally, the 1st trumpet ascends to A above staff instead of dropping to E, so as to sound the melody as played by others. Can be taxing endurance-wise if orchestra is large enough and conductor brass-sympathetic (in the Berlin Phil CD I have, the trumpet is allowed to sizzle and dominate nicely, but I've heard performances where the emphasis is more on nice tonal blend with no part sticking out).

Overall, very playable and quite enjoyable 3rd-4rth mvts, less of a blow than 2nd symphony. Again, more interesting if played on Bb rotary, more secure on usual C.

Hope that helps,
Pierre.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: