• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Arturo Sandoval

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian Johnson

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming to the FOX in Atlanta, May 22 ... anybody going .. ??
MrTrumpet

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been talking about it. What time does it start? Saw Arturo a couple years ago at the Krannert Center in Urbana IL (Univ of Ill). Fantastic show! Besides all the regular :smile:virtuoso trumpet work, he plays percussion, sings, and plays a mean piano (better than some piano players I've gigged with)!

regards, Mike
Brian Johnson

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8:00 pm
sean007r
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone get Arturo's new CD My Passion For The Piano?

I picked it up on e-bay for $1.50!

Needless to say... Now I'm Depressed!
Arturo is a master on the horn and a true inspiration, but then he comes out on stage and blows his piano player away and then cuts a GREAT piano cd.

And then there is me...
(_uIII_o__) |
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandoval...in Seattle...
Next week @ Jazz Alley Be there!)

http://www.jazzalley.com
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full report on the 23rd please! : )

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
gustav
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the Sandoval performance on the 22nd at the Fox. abosolutely flawless. He made the Afro-Cuban music come alive. His band was awesome. He play sets at least 15 minutes long each time. His sax player is on of the best I have ever heard and i have heard the the Bird live. He played the piano and key board as well as any. Now for his trumpet work. Above the staff, way above the staff. His first set included the flugel and was it mellow. His congo player played a solo which i thought his hands were coming off his body. I think it was the best prefomance i've seen in a long long time. I talked with him before the performance and he added a new song he had written in the hotel room the night before. he showed me his horn and it's not like a regular assembly Leblanc horn. Alot of work has been done on it. He also had his Schilke there which has been made to look like his own model. but sounds like the Schilke. One thing that most major performers doesn't due but he does is spot light his other member of his band. A great great show.

[ This Message was edited by: gustav on 2002-05-23 07:44 ]
MrTrumpet

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would echo gustav's comments, but add that Arturo really put on a clinic. Besides the high note work somewhere near the asteroid belt (near as I could tell, one of the last notes he played of the night was somewhere around an E or F above triple C!!) He also graced us with some 2 octave double-tonguing, pedal tones that were full and in tune, multiphonics, and of course Dizzy-style lines that were better than anything Diz ever played.

He did 2 tunes on piano - Arturo is an incredible piano player and composer. I would put him up against Chick Corea any day. In fact, I would love to see Arturo and Chick do a 2 piano album like the Chick and Herbie Hancock sides from several years ago.

Arturo also played keyboard and/or percussion during several of the tunes, and did some of the most amazing scatting and blowning I think I've ever heard. His vocal range is very wide, which I've a hunch contributes to his wide range on the horn. While he was scatting he even did some jaw harp work, also a la Dizzy.

I was not quite as impressed with the sax player as gustav; on the opening blues progression he showed great technical chops, but I didn't hear much creativity. Later on when he played over some more interesting progressions he sounded better to me, and he held his own very well on the bebop licks.

The conga player WAS every bit as good as gustav states - he looked like an octopus up there with hands going everywhere. I was particularly impressed with how he made maracas sound like castanets, he was playing them so tight.

The main thing is that it is evident that everyone up there, and Arturo in particular, were really enjoying themselves. Arturo is definitely an entertainer and showman, without being a show off. It was truly an awesome evening. I attended with my wife and a fellow trumpet player, and we noted during the evening that Arturo hadn't played a note on trumpet for about 45 minutes, and we didn't even care, because there was so much great music being made!

Seeing/hearing someone like Arturo is simultaneously inspiring and depressing (to another trumpet player, anyway ). We kidded around afterward discussing whether we should just give up and play sax, or radio, or something else ...

'Twas a great night!!

regards, Mike
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gustav and Mike are right on the money!

Arturo showed why he is not only one one of the worlds great trumpet players (we were left shaking our heads at times) he is also a consumate musician. His piano playing was outstanding. Columbia records released a CD of Arturo playing piano fairly recently. The whole band appeared to be enjoying themselves immensely. If you have the opportunity to see him - go- run to the box office. You will not be sorry.
GoldenBrass

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too was at the concert and I agree with all the above posts. One word to describe it all-phenomenal!
MrTrumpet

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I want to know is, which one of you yelled out "HIGHER!" at the end of one of the tunes ?

Mike
gustav
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOT ME. I was glued to my seat. Did anyone talk to the trumpet player who was out in the refreshment area before the concert. He was a retired symphony player. He had the exact horn that Arturo was playing.
GoldenBrass

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to that trumpet player in the refreshment area. He was retired after 31yrs. with the symphony. He played a Besson.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: