• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New mouthpiece?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angryred509

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 3:54 am    Post subject: New mouthpiece? Reply with quote

Hello! I'm currently a freshman in High school in I can hit a D above the staff pretty comfortably on my Bach 3c, but I would like to know if a new mouthpiece would allow me to hit the higher parts in jazz ensemble more comfortably and louder. Thank you!
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe. A different mouthpiece *can* make it easier but it's not a magic fix by itself.

When you say you can play high D fairly easily, can you arpeggiate up to it, hold it for a couple of beats and back down again? Play a two-octave scale up - hold it for a few beats and back down? Pick it off and hold it for a few seconds? Play it loud, soft, put vibrato on it, play a D as part of a melodic line and really make it sing? Say for example playing "When You Wish Upon A Star" in the key of C major starting on second line G, or play the lead part on the original Glenn Miller Arrangement of "In The Mood" which ends on a chromatic run Bb to D.

If the answer to all the above isn't "Yes" then you still don't own it. What I've described should be doable on a 3C. And if you really own that D you should be able to at least touch on higher notes.

If things are working well with your playing mechanics a different mouthpiece might make it easier, can give your sound more bite/sizzle but won't fix things if there are problems with your embouchure mechanics.

Also finding the right different mouthpiece isn't likely to be simple. What someone else finds works for them may or may not work for you. For example I really like my Yamaha Bobby Shew Lead - however another participant here who's a solid pro said he tried one and hated it, could barely get a sound out of it.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Thu May 09, 2024 5:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An important question is whether you are playing high notes by 'skilled use of embouchure', or by 'lots of rim pressure'.

Excessive rim pressure can work for high squeaks, but might not yield really 'playable' range, and often results in pain, injury, etc.

Mouthpiece choice can help, but having the 'skill' is the foundation.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
chase1973
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice from the previous comments to which I echo their responses. Do you have a good teacher? Before you go seeking utopia in a MPC and believe me from experience I spent a bundle of $$$$ doing that, you must understand a particular mouthpiece will NOT give you range. A smaller cup will only assist the range you already have and change the color/timbre, etc.

Also, not seeing one play, it's almost impossible to give too much expert advice. Seek out a knowledgeable teacher to guide you.
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, we gotta be able to play the notes on a middle-of-the-road (or our current) mouthpiece first. I play a Curry 3C currently.

However, for big band lead, I like a Yamaha Miyashiro EM1. When I first tried it, it was way too tight and stuffy. Blech. But I waited too long to return it, so I was stuck with it. Thought I'd try it again on BB lead, and once I stepped on the gas, the thing worked quite comfortably. I had gas to spare at the end of rehearsal. Haven't tried it on a gig yet, though.

It didn't give me any new notes, but it let me hang around at or near the top of my useable range for much longer. But I had to play on the strong side of the dynamics with this piece.
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the choices are myriad and "what works for one doesn't work for another", but you've gotta start someplace.

If you've been playing a Bach 3C, a Bobby Shew Lead (not "Jazz") would be a good starting place.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet

Last edited by kehaulani on Thu May 09, 2024 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a comparison between the Bach 3C and the Shew Lead profiles. Feel free to compare other profiles.

https://trumpet.cloud/mpc/index.html?mpc1id=VA001700&mpc2id=VB014300&backcolor=blue
tptLad

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having the same thoughts regarding mpcs as well. I currently play lead in my HS school jazz band on a Chinese stencil 3C (let it be known that I use limited rim pressure :p) as a sophomore and have been thinking about switching over to the Bobby Shew Lead for next year. Would this be an ok choice, or are there better pieces that would allow for better lead playing?
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptLad wrote:
[I] have been thinking about switching over to the Bobby Shew Lead for next year. Would this be an ok choice, or are there better pieces that would allow for better lead playing?

There's no way to answer that for you, as there are a ton of lead-oriented mouthpieces out there. You have to place mouthpiece to face (and play your material, your way) to make your own evaluation. All anyone can say is that X mouthpiece worked (or didn't) for them, or that X mouthpiece is shallower, has a sharper/flatter/rounder rim, and describe other technical characteristics of the shape.

Mouthpiece Express has a testing program: order a few, try them, and send back what you don't like.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just suggesting you try a mouthpiece with just a slightly shallower cup and slightly tighter backbore first.

BACH 3C vs. YAMAHA 14A4A

The rim is pretty close to your 3C - this might be all you need.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mograph wrote:
tptLad wrote:
[I] have been thinking about switching over to the Bobby Shew Lead for next year. Would this be an ok choice, or are there better pieces that would allow for better lead playing?

There's no way to answer that for you, as there are a ton of lead-oriented mouthpieces out there. You have to place mouthpiece to face (and play your material, your way) to make your own evaluation. All anyone can say is that X mouthpiece worked (or didn't) for them, or that X mouthpiece is shallower, has a sharper/flatter/rounder rim, and describe other technical characteristics of the shape.

Mouthpiece Express has a testing program: order a few, try them, and send back what you don't like.

Another to try is the Yamaha Allen Vizzutti - a slightly deeper cousin to the Shew Lead, rim is very similar, both a departure from the 3C. I have both, like them both.

Shew Lead in green, Vizzutti in red.

https://trumpet.cloud/mpc/index.html?mpc1id=VA913461&mpc2id=VB014300&mpc1x=50&mpc1y=0&mpc2x=55&mpc2y=0&backcolor=blue
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
BreakFromTheHerd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shallower cups with tighter backbores boost my range by about two half steps (beyond what I can reach with a more general purpose piece). In all honesty, though, those two "extra" notes are an illusion. I can hit them when my chops are fresh, but I lose them very quickly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: